HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two- Ep 10

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two- Ep 10

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:15 pm

I never envisioned them as shepherds. I guess I had a more BBC radio series ending in my mind and figured they'd go back to failing miserably as musicians down underer. The fact that they were so playful in the field was great because I felt at least that they were happy to be there but the idea that they gave up on music and went back to being shepherds makes me a bit sad. I can't wait to watch this one again and screen cap the crap out of it. I noticed what a few others mentioned about Jemaine trying not to laugh when Murray told him how boring his acting was. I laughed really hard when Mel was trying to peek under Jemaine's covers but then felt kind of icky when I realized that I'd probably do the same. :lol: Loved Murray's facial expressions throughout the play. I want to know whose idea it was to immortalize their lives on off off off Broadway (and I will kiss whoever thought of putting Bret on stage with his head in a chair because that has been one of my favorite jokes of the series). I think it's a beyond genius way to end a show.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Jemaine's bedhead :D:

Mel peeking haha!:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:57 pm

They didnt give up on music to be shepherds. They are shepherds who make music with whatever strikes them. :lol:

jamesthecat
New arrival

Postby jamesthecat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 pm

is it me or is the underlying message, that theyre at there happiest playing music and nothing more. wether in there grotty apartment facing eviction. or sheparding in nz. i think this definatly seals off the american invasion by the conchords. they could easily do a spinoff series, but there is no need to. its a great way to end the show. im happy, sad and relieved. plus they pretty much have the freedom to do whatever they want in their careers now... i suspect jemaine will continue to make comedy with taiki and bret will focus on writing music as the video kid. after this year i dont think we will see alot of fotc for a while. but i know theyll be back... hopefully in 5 years time with as many classic songs and a new series.

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 pm

This really felt like a series finale...not just with the deportation, but also the way it ties up the other minor storyline/s. (Mel and Doug...finally! :lol: )
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm

JulesJules wrote:They didnt give up on music to be shepherds. They are shepherds who make music with whatever strikes them. :lol:
Yes, you’re right.
jamesthecat wrote:is it me or is the underlying message, that theyre at there happiest playing music and nothing more.
Yup. And I couldn’t help but feel a bit touched at how the characters lives paralleled Bret & Jemaine’s real life, particularly when they stood onstage and said they had made it in America. At that point in the show I knew they’d wind up back in NZ and I felt a little twinge of life imitating art, yet again. As much as I hate to say it, it felt like, not only an end to FOTC the TV show but FOTC the band.

*where was that Kleenex box again?*
90% evil
ImageImage

Carol

Postby Carol » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I rushed home from work today so that I could watch my recording of the show's finale. It was GREAT! What a fabulous way to end it.

I did get a little misty-eyed a time or two while watching--especially when Murray was trying to tell them the really terrible news and the INS officers (that's who I took them to be anyway) were seen and Bret says, "Do they want to meet us?" so full of innocence still.

But to see them back in NZ (with seemingly the weight of the world off their shoulders) and frolicking in the meadow-still making music for the sheer enjoyment of it, just made my heart swell and my mouth curve into a smile. They were HOME!

Speaking of the series being over-- true stars always leave the stage with their audiences wanting more--they've certainly done that. I think all of us in the USA will welcome them with open arms whenever and wherever they choose to grace our fair land again. (Which, btw, is in little over two weeks! :wink: ) Besides, Sherry et al will keep us "up to speed" on them, right? Of course! :)

I hope they won't disappear for five years! OM-I don't think I could handle that. But even if they do, I have my DVD to watch over and over and over....well, you get the picture. And if a tv isn't available, there're always CDs, right? :lalala:

I just want to give JB, JC and BMc the most sincere thank you that I possibly can. The series has been a true delight--it provided very humorous moments in a most bleak time of my life. (Pardon the paraphrase, but I'm dead serious.) Week after week, chuckles galore! I appreciate the hard work that they put in to making it the best it could be. ....And may I add kudos also for the cast they selected--PERFECT. IT was a unique idea and it worked like a flippin' charm! (Am I gushing? Sobeit. Gushes are deserved!)

Yeah, I'm getting sad--selfishly sad--but still so very happy that they guys can now focus on what's truly important to them-whatever that may turn out to be.

I really want to quote somebody, but I can't remember who it is! :shock: Whomever always closed their show with a little ditty: Thanks for the memories......Jemaine and Bret--THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES! :prayer: :supz: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh SW, my sentiments exactly--regarding perhaps an ending to FotC as well. I hope not, but if it is..........it's been such a journey! Yep, I'm sharin' your kleenex, girlie. :cry: :nod:

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Great episode! I agree with everyone else that it seems very final and I'm not sure how they'd do a season 3 after this either, but either way I'm happy (well ok, a little sad, but I'll deal lol). This is a good way to end things if it truly has to end. The end with them in the field just made me smile. I like that it ended on a happy note! Not sure why Murray got deported though. Shouldn't he have immunity or something working at the consulate? Oh well!

I loved that they brought they put Bret's head stuck in the chair in the play too! Wasn't the hotel guy the same guy who sold Murray a stereo and then the "cd's" that were mostly just sawdust in season 1? He looked familar if not. I kept waiting for Eugene to make some sort of creepy offer of an alternate way to pay the rent, but was glad that didn't happen! lol
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:49 pm

SheWolf wrote:
JulesJules wrote:They didnt give up on music to be shepherds. They are shepherds who make music with whatever strikes them. :lol:
Yes, you’re right.
jamesthecat wrote:is it me or is the underlying message, that theyre at there happiest playing music and nothing more.
Yup. And I couldn’t help but feel a bit touched at how the characters lives paralleled Bret & Jemaine’s real life, particularly when they stood onstage and said they had made it in America. At that point in the show I knew they’d wind up back in NZ and I felt a little twinge of life imitating art, yet again. As much as I hate to say it, it felt like, not only an end to FOTC the TV show but FOTC the band.

*where was that Kleenex box again?*
I have the same feeling about all this...it's like saying goodbye to a friend, but there's still the memories...even if it's not the same, it's still something. *sniffles*

(Ironically, I'm just getting over a cold, so the sniffling would have happened regardless. But it's good to have a second reason as well. :lol: )
Last edited by VaiVedrai on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

Carol

Postby Carol » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Wasn't the hotel guy the same guy who sold Murray a stereo and then the "cd's" that were mostly just sawdust in season 1?

I'm glad you mentioned that because when he came on camera I said, "Oh, it's AJ!" (I tend to talk to the tv sometimes!)
I loved that they brought they put Bret's head stuck in the chair in the play too!

Me, too, especially after Murray had shamed Bret with it before. I didn't expect it, so it was just another little added treat.
I have the same feeling about all this...it's like saying goodbye to a friend, but there's still the memories...even if it's not the same, it's still something. *sniffles*

Ditto tha-att!

(as you can tell, I'm still unsure as how to quote someone directly--and some of you put several quotes in one box--impressive!)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Could Jemaine be any cuter here? The answer is clearly no.

*courtesy of fotcmb*
90% evil
ImageImage

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 pm

he looks blissfully happy, eh? :)
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Ratashak
Keeping it funky

Postby Ratashak » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 am

I wonder how this could be anything but the end. I was really, really happy with season 2--personally didn't think it could be better than season 1, but it was! It's my opinion that the American audience and obvious global adoration of these characters and the men who play them could disassemble the zen like calmness of the real people. I'd hate to see that. Perhaps they'll spend their children's formative years raising them to be marvelous human beings, sponsored by the cash we've spent in the last few years on them! I would love to think I've contributed to the raising of the next generation of kind, generous, talented human beings in this way! Maybe they'll write some lovely children's stories and then be back in when the kids go off to school with a new round of hilarity for us. I'm guessing 90% of us will still be paying attention!

MissBoo
Lost but happy at sea

Postby MissBoo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:02 am

I finally got to see the whole episode, and I loved it. I agree with Mohumbai Mania, it was kind of bittersweet, but a great send off nevertheless. I really liked the New Zealand stuff at the end.

Did any of the off off off Broadway Murrays look a a little like Jim Carrey to any of you?

Sad to see the end of it, but to Jemaine, Bret, Rhys, Arj, Kristen, Frank, David & Eugene, thanks for two years of ha, ha. Stay cool, guys.

Lastly: the spell check on here is telling me the Zealand part of New Zealand is spelled wrong.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:36 am

This is gonna be a long post, folks - prepare for a novel.

That was a perfectly appropriate ending to the series, if it really is one. I know some people want them to come back for another season, and my feeling on this is, I'm happy either way. Whatever the guys want to do is fine by me. Anyway, they deserve a break. I won't go on and on, heaping endless praise on the actors, writers, producers, directors, etc., etc. I think just the fact that we're all here discussing the show is a testament to all the hard work that they've done. I doubt many of us would be here if we didn't love the show so much. (Even though Jemaine just wanted to make a show but have no one watch it. :))

At first I was worried that things would get too sentimental and maudlin, and to be honest, I ran out of tears after watching the finale of "Battlestar Galactica". (That sucker drained me dry.) So it's good that they didn't go too far in that direction because I wouldn't have been able to take any more. Having said that, the show did get several pouty-faced "aww"s out of me between the many laughs.

And on that note, the only two shows that I still watch are now both over. I have no more TV to follow. Sure, there's always the news, or the occasional late-night talk show, but nothing I have any investment in. And sure, there's always my massive TV DVD collection, but this is literally the first time in my life that I have nothing new left for me on television. It is a simultaneously sad and freeing moment. Who knew I would ever get this worked up over TV?

The plot also hit really close to home for me on a personal level. Six years ago, I left Ohio, my family and everyone I've ever known to go to California to pursue my big dreams, my cartoons and my writing. I packed up everything I owned into my little station wagon and just went, without a concrete plan but full of hope and blissful ignorance. I spent three years in California, struggling at a pay-the-bills cashier job, and I spent every minute I wasn't working trying to advance in my career. There were a few times where I came close, meeting fellow cartoonists or pitching my ideas to network execs, but there were also many, many times that I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I felt like I was playing "Who Likes to Rock the Party" in an empty elevator.

Along the way, I made friends with an eccentric group of people, my co-workers that turned into my second family. Just like the guys had Murray and Mel and Doug and Dave and Greg and Eugene, I had my own assortment of lovable oddballs. But after a while it just got so hard, financially and emotionally, that I had to give up that life and head back to Ohio. And it took a while to readjust and get to a point where I was back on track personally and with my career, but I'm much better off than I was. I learned a lot from the experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. And now I have my family, a new batch of friends, and oddly enough I've had far more success career-wise than I ever did out there. Apparently the internet doesn't care if you live in Ohio. :)

So watching the guys back in New Zealand, looking so happy and free, really got to me. Yeah, so they're just a couple of shepherds again, but they still have that musical spark in them and maybe they'll take their American experience and find a way to make it in New Zealand. Or maybe they'll go back and try again when they're ready. Either way, the ending gave me that little bit of hope that I wanted. If this is how the show ends, then I'm okay with it. If they choose to continue now or "futuractively", I'll be there to see what happens next.

And now for the like/dislike portion of my review. This is only after one viewing so I may have more thoughts after I watch it again. (If it's possible for me to type any more... :D)

I liked the following things:

[*] The "Stomp"-like opening musical bit was pretty inspired. These guys have talent even without lyrics.

[*] The idea that staging a musical would somehow make everything turn out alright was the ultimate in sitcom silliness, and I loved the realistically terrible results. If the show had suddenly gone all "Brady Bunch" on us I might have chucked my computer (er, TV) out the window.

[*] I had no idea they were going to put "Petrov, Yelyena and Me" into the show. It was a complete surprise and probably one of the most successful song-to-TV translations that they've ever done. Yes, there were some changes from the original, but I think it worked very well in the context of the show. And considering how gruesome the source material is, the way it was performed and directed made it seem goofy instead of gross.

[*] Mel and Doug's separation, and how they treated Bret and Jemaine like their kids. Bret: "I'm 32." Loved that! And I've wanted to say this for a long time - Bret McKenzie has the best pouty face on television. It's adorable and makes me want to hug him. And I'm a guy!

[*] The little "Star Wars" ships were cute. Greg looked so proud of them!

[*] Murray's criticism of Jemaine's acting - "a little bit boring". I wonder if that came from a real-life critic? (Echoing others here, I think Jemaine did look like he wanted to break into laughter a little bit.)

[*] There were so many great bits in the musical so I can't cover them all, but I particularly liked Bret's head stuck in the chair, previously referenced but never seen. Dave as the Statue of Liberty. "Murray" saving the day.

[*] It was nice how Mel rediscovered her love for Doug with his harp (a womanly instrument), and completely ignored the guys for once. If this is how her character ends, I'm okay with it.

[*] I wasn't lying when I said sheep never fail to make me laugh. Especially when they're being used as a musical instrument.

[*] I'm assuming Murray got deported as well because of his involvement, and it was nice to see him join the guys in their music-making at the end.

[*] And finally, I loved the guys' innocence throughout, from the rent situation to being deported.

I disliked the following things:

[*] Eugene using his watch calculator to explain the money situation was an awkward bit of staging. Oddly enough, I didn't have a problem with him not noticing the NZ/US dollar issue. As some of you may know, I'm normally nitpicky when it comes to money on TV.

[*] Murray's reasoning for not wanting the guys to stay with him was funny but incredibly creepy. (No wonder he's divorced.) A funnier alternative might have been for them to try it for a night but not have it work out for some other reason, like Shelly returning and making things awkward. Also, didn't they all sleep in a tent together before without a problem?

[*] I immediately recognized "A.J." at the hotel counter, but apparently Jemaine didn't. Was he supposed to be playing a different character?

[*] At the risk of starting this issue up again, they should have just kept the stolen furniture stolen. Since they were getting evicted, it would have been even sadder/funnier since they had nothing left anyway.

[*] Would have been nice to hear about Bret and Jemaine's past as shepherds before this episode. I accepted it but the last-minute backstory was a bit sudden.

[*] And finally, I understand the lack of good-byes due to the very funny *boom* cut to New Zealand, but a little something might have been nice. I guess that's what imaginations are for.

Well, it's been a fun ride. Fortunately it's not all over. I'm still holding off on listening to the BBC radio show, especially with a director's cut coming, and the upcoming live concert ought to be flippin' sweet. I'm also still busy putting the finishing touches on the FOTC: Second Season video game, so there's still work to be done. And with no more TV to watch, maybe I'll have a little more free time!

Return to “HBO TV series”