HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two- Ep 10

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two- Ep 10

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:50 am

SheWolf wrote:
mohumbhai mania wrote:
Of course it will be crap. Has Jared Hess made a watchable movie yet?

I liked Napoleon Dynamite. So there.
well nanny nanny poop poop. :roll2:

Hey, hey - SW, watch how you almost took my name in vain!!!!! :wink:

Back to the show - do we recognize any of the dancing Murrays in the kick line? At first glance, I thought the second from the left was our friend from season 1, the police lady. I couldn't get a good close look, though. I was wondering if all of them were old familiar faces. :dunno:
And did Jemaine's "America" (and the following music) remind anyone else of Parker Posey's musical rant at the end of For Your Consideration? It could have been the same piano player, it was so close! :roll2:

The more I watch it, the more I see the joy in the guys' faces when they're in NZ, and that can only make me happy. Sure, I'll miss them, but their happiness is most important.

And SA, we'll be :woohoo: -ing soon enough! (2 weeks and 5 days, but who's counting???!)
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:16 am

Hey, hey - SW, watch how you almost took my name in vain!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:36 am

29 days for me!

Eeee!!!

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 pm

The 'collection' of glasses Bret had on his nightstand and the kitchen's every surface (stove, drainer, sink, counter, table) being littered with cookware/tableware cracked me up. Maybe 'cause it's such a stereotypical 'guy thing'.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:11 am

I keep forgetting to mention the band meeting moment when Murray says "Awww, Bret", and Bret sadly says, "Prisint". Too much.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I keep forgetting to mention the band meeting moment when Murray says "Awww, Bret", and Bret sadly says, "Prisint". Too much.

Even though I am always fully aware that this is just a tv show, there have been several moments throughout the series where my heart has broken for them. This was one of those moments...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:18 am

It's after midnight, and my heart was heavy all last night because it was the first Sunday night with no HBO show to make me smile. :cry:
I felt like you, Kelly, when you mentioned your heart breaking for them. I really miss them! :tears:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:21 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:It's after midnight, and my heart was heavy all last night because it was the first Sunday night with no HBO show to make me smile. :cry:
I felt like you, Kelly, when you mentioned your heart breaking for them. I really miss them! :tears:

:goodman: There, there! There, there, there, there, there, there, there, there!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:14 am

Where, where! Where, where, where, where, where, where, where, where?! :wink:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:01 am

I'm not crying
No
There's just a little bit of dust in my eye
That's from the path that you made when you said your goodbye :(:(:(:(:(

I really really really hope that they come back for another season. I thought this episode was really good. I LOVED it! The pigeons! And I when Mel tucked the guys into bed I LOVED THAT! I want to tuck them into bed!

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:I keep forgetting to mention the band meeting moment when Murray says "Awww, Bret", and Bret sadly says, "Prisint". Too much.

Even though I am always fully aware that this is just a tv show, there have been several moments throughout the series where my heart has broken for them. This was one of those moments...

Most difinitely.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 am

I held off watching the last episode until this week, putting off the inevitable end.

You've all covered the main points, so I won't say much. I will say that Petrov has always been one of my favorite songs and I didn't really expect them to do it in the series, nor did I necessarily want them to. All said and done, though, I ended up really enjoying it and thought they did a very good job with fitting it in and editing it down. I was pleasantly surprised.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm almost ready to start adding my two cents to things. Almost. I'm still digesting everything that I've seen.

helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby helgecko » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 am

Okay, I've finally managed to actually write down all this stuff that's been rattling around in my head since I first saw this episode. I'm afraid I haven't read every other response in this thread, so I apologise if I'm just repeating stuff.

Basically, I think this episode was an absolutely perfect end to the season, and a perfect end to the whole show, if indeed that's what it is. I actually kind of can't can't get over how clever and wonderful it is. I did have to pause it several times when I first watched it, just to kind of calm down a bit. And I'm not usually a highly emotional person when it comes to watching tv.

The last episode is all about the show itself

This is what I call my “Ridiculous Russian Doll Situation Theory” :wink:

The whole of the Flight of the Conchords tv show, all 20 episodes, have been the “musical” Bret and Jemaine have put on about their lives. So the musical they put on in the last episode represents the whole show (hinted at by having, for eg, a song about J as a prostitute, and also represents reality, as it also climaxes with a musical of its own (like real life “climaxes” with the tv show). (I’ll stop saying “climaxes” now…)
This is hinted at several times, like when they’re talking bout their “rags to rags” story, and Murray says something like “oh yes, that’s a riveting scenario. Who’d want to see that?” And, obviously, that’s what we have been watching for the whole show.
Other little nods include when they’re looking at the script for the first time and Bret says “oh, we’re supposed to be singing at this point, and Jemaine says “yeah well, that’s not going to happen” like it’s ridiculous to think that they might break out into song. And backstage before they go on to do the musical Murray does the roll call, saying “Bret as Bret and Jemaine as Jemaine” Which IS the show :D

So, there’s actually three musicals, there’s the show that we’ve watched for two seasons, the musical at the end of the show, and the musical at the end of the musical. And each musical creates an alternate “ending” for the reality in which it’s played.
In reality, of course, they’ve had great success, but in the show (reality’s “musical”) they’re a failure. And in the musical within the show they’re a success (“we’ve made it in America!”), thanks to the popularity of the musical they performed at the end.

The end of the musical (J: we musn’t forget where we came from. B: I remember…) is mirrored by the end of the episode (the end of the original “musical”).

So, yeah. Ridiculous Russian doll situation.

Mel and Doug

This seems like a fairly standard B-plot, but I think it was absolutely perfect for the finale.
Based on every other episode of the show, you’d think that the only possible “happy ending” for Mel would be to end up with Bret or Jemaine (or both). But this episode managed to give her an (at least temporary) happy ending, without that happening. And it also confirmed something about her character that had been suggested before: she simply becomes obsessed with what she can’t have.
I think it was also great to finally see Doug put his foot down (and win Mel’s respect/ lust back in the process). It made their story complete.

Musical bits

I think the Stomp-style musical interludes were perfect for the episode, mainly because, without lyrics, they give the impression of being spontaneous. And, most importantly, they show the guys enjoying their music in a way that we haven’t seen in any other episode. For the rest of the show we’ve kind of been left to assume that they’ve enjoyed music, because that’s what they’ve moved to New York to pursue, but to see the creating music “spontaneously” and with such obvious joy is wonderful.
It was also the perfect way to end the episode and the show. It would have been drastically out of character to show them “joyful“ back in New Zealand without musical context (since they don’t really show much of any emotion without musical context). And if they hadn’t been shown as being happy back in New Zealand, I wouldn’t have been able to watch the episode more than once. As it is, I feel like crying and cheering at the same time. Which is nice :)

Some favourite bits

Bret with his head stuck in the chair in the musical. This is an awesome reference back to something we never saw happen, but got mentioned in the S1 episode “Mugged”, when Murray says “remember that time you got your head stuck in that chair, Bret?”. Also gotta love Bret’s plaintive little “Jemaaaiiine…” :D

Murray describing Jemaine’s acting as “boring”. Dollars to doughnuts that’s a real life reference. I bet someone (quite possibly Jemaine himself) has called his acting boring. Also, when they’re talking about it backstage and Murray says his acting’s better but “still a bit boring”, Jemaine's very obviously choked back laugh :lol: <3

Bret being unaware that he’d been unconscious for five minutes after he stopped breathing during rehearsal.

Welcome to the land of opportunity
I am the Statue of Liberty
Welcome! Welcome!
Forget about it.

Bret’s little “oh s***!” when Doug appeared after the “Mel as husband murderer” fake-out :lol:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 am

Wow! That Russian doll analysis just blew me away! I love that 'uckin meta shi' :lol:

And it is also a very well formulated argument for the show being over for good. That's about as wrapped up as it can get:)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Return to “HBO TV series”