April 15 New York City

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

Re: April 15 New York City

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Is it just me or does Bret look a little jaundiced in the pictures from the "meet and greet"?

I'm SO hoping it's just me. :nails:

Edit: Upon second look (and just so we're all on the same page I'm looking at this picture right here from FOTCMB:

Maybe it's stage makeup? Do the guys even WEAR stage makeup? A little bit, maybe? Maybe they put some on Bret to help with his color in his being sick? The yellowness seems to be on his cheeks and on the sides of his face, whereas around his eyes, nose and mouth looks his "normal" color. So I'm thinking makeup? I don't think jaundice can be that splotchy... :hrm: How long should I ponder this before it's "too much"? :lol:

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:56 pm

He's probaby still reeling from the Little Red tragedy.

I have to say I am happy to hear it was an accident. Callously smashing LR on purpose just doesn't seem right. How can you tuck a tiny piano snugly under your arm while high fiving your mate one day, then turn around and smash it to smithereens another?

trefusis wrote:Death by being overenthusiastically rocked-out upon by Bret :shock: :lol: .

What a way to go.

I couldn't ask for better, myself. Except I want to be an Omnichord, rocked out upon by Jemaine. :whistle: Just sayin', if I get to choose...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 pm

I could.

By replacing "Bret" with "Jemaine" and you've got the exact way I wish to die :nod:

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm

halokiti wrote:I did some of that squeeing behind you, though it was the drunk couple in front of me that kept yelling "business time" and "i am a part-time model." And I took a lot of pictures though I usually tried for them during the banter.

what section were you in kiti, it wasn't you, lol, there were annoying people like a row or two behind me in my section to the right of me, i was about to tell them to stfu--i'm sure your squeeing was the happy and nice kind, not annoying like those knuckleheads! :D
that's frozen cool...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:50 pm

I don't think he looks jaundiced but I do think he's looked ill for awhile in some of the fan pix. I think he looks tired and flushed and drawn. However, there were no signs of him sounding sick last night. He sounded great and seemed to have plenty of energy.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 pm

I think Bret looks like crap in a lot of the pics I've seen lately. Not in a crap crap way, but crap looking tired and run down. Tours never seem to treat him well. I remember in Ed one year he got really poorly also and was so pale thin and tired looking.

I'm not sure touring or a long run of gigs agrees with him.

Hope he bounces back soon.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that Bret looks really run-down. I was starting to think I was just imagining it. My poor little sausage. I wish he could take a week off to rest and read and eat home-made chicken pie and take naps on the verandah. Being constantly on the road has got to take a toll on your system at the best of times, but if you're feeling rubbish to begin with, it must be exceptionally hard. I feel badly for the lovely fellow. I'd like to chuck him under the chin and tell him to take a few days off to recuperate.

I haven't scrutinised their tour dates, but maybe you lot know - do the boys have any breaks in their schedule planned?

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 pm

I can't seem to find any good pix from last night's show yet. Everyone seemed to do what I did - take pix off the jumbotron which look like crap. Here's a decent one where you can see Jem's shirt. They both wore jackets for the show ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/96009332@N00/3447919534/) but when they returned for the encore they had taken them off. Someone in the crowd asked Jem what was on his shirt (this was when he still had the jacket on and you couldn't see the shirt too clearly) and he showed it and explained that when you wear glasses you never get to wear sunglasses, which isn't really true but whatever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96009332@N00/3447922468/
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 pm

Looks like the most time off they have is 2 days between shows and that only happens once or twice.

He looks a bit fevery to me but still put on a great show, professional that he is. :) Get Well vibes out to you, Bret!
(And don't-pass-the-germ-on-to-anyone-else vibes, as well!) :P
Last edited by LauraK on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:39 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:I haven't scrutinised their tour dates, but maybe you lot know - do the boys have any breaks in their schedule planned?

Doesn't look like it, Turnip. They have a few single nights here and there where they aren't doing a show, but the longest gap is 2 nights, between Austin, TX and Vancouver - probably because of the distance they've got to travel. So it's a pretty merciless schedule.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby halokiti » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:31 pm

claire wrote:
halokiti wrote:I did some of that squeeing behind you, though it was the drunk couple in front of me that kept yelling "business time" and "i am a part-time model." And I took a lot of pictures though I usually tried for them during the banter.

what section were you in kiti, it wasn't you, lol, there were annoying people like a row or two behind me in my section to the right of me, i was about to tell them to stfu--i'm sure your squeeing was the happy and nice kind, not annoying like those knuckleheads! :D

I was in Orch 5, Row BB, Seat 513. I could see you from my seat. You most definitely heard the 2 drunkos in front of me. Everyone just gave them dirty looks.

Working on fixing up the photos now, nothing looks great but it's do-able.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:37 am

Sherry wrote:Not sure which night this was but

Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement comparing being in the limelight to the inside of Paris Hilton's thigh, at the group's Radio City show

:shock: :shock: I'm guessing this isn't a good thing :lol: :doh:

Source

Haha, Jemaine said this in the previous NY gig (14th April). Posted a link to the video on page 7 of the related thread.

And yes I've noticed in some pictures such as the one you posted Kelly that Bret does look rather ill but in some other pics such as when he's on stage etc he looks fine. Poor thing, he's still ill and I really hope he makes a full recovery soon. Their tour schedule is pretty heavy so they need to be on top form so they don't tire themselves out.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:50 am

LauraK wrote:Looks like the most time off they have is 2 days between shows and that only happens once or twice.
trefusis wrote:Doesn't look like it, Turnip. They have a few single nights here and there where they aren't doing a show, but the longest gap is 2 nights, between Austin, TX and Vancouver - probably because of the distance they've got to travel. So it's a pretty merciless schedule.

Poor wee boy. I'm definitely not the stoic type when I'm ill, so I have masses of respect for those troopers like Bret who can get up there and perform while they've got the Black Death. I'd be curled up under the table in the dressing room, whimpering about how I need cough lozenges and my mummy, please.

No spooning Bret on this tour, Jemaine! I don't care how much you need those Rhymenoceros cuddles. You can ask Kristen to be your Little Spoon, but you are NOT to get sickie! Okay?! No no!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 am

No no, indeed! I love Bret, but I don't know what I would do with myself if Jemaine got sick :(

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:56 am

No spooning Bret on this tour, Jemaine!

Good thing I didn't have any beverage in my mouth when I read that! :lol:

but you can put a wig on him....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”