April 17 - Boston, MA

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

April 17 - Boston, MA

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Talk about the Boston show here!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: April 17 - Boston, MA

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I can't believe it's my third show in a row, and I'm just as excited as the first time. I guess that says something about the guys' show always being exciting and different. I'm leaving soon - can't wait, and I get to meet new WTFers!!! :yay:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:58 pm

Have a great time, Nancy! Can't wait to hear.
Saw on the weather channel that Boston is going to have GOOD weather. Yis, viry good! :supz:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Yay! Nancy I'm viry jealous that you get 3 very great shows! I wish I lived on the east coast just for reasons like this :lol:

I can't complain too much, I get two shows back to back

I can't wait to start getting reports!

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Too late/far for me, but just got this message via Craigslist if anyone needs.

"Hi

I have one extra ticket to Flight of the Conchords. It's not the first 15 rows but I think it's pretty decent. Section 111 row J 1. I bought it for $38.50 + 11.10 convenience fee and I'm selling it at $50. Are you interested? call me (reply here and I can pm you the phone number).

-Jane"

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 pm

I just got a report from Stephanie on another board that a fan at the Boston show just met Jemaine! She arrived at the concert and as she was on her way in he came out from the stage door :) Nigel was with him and snapped a picture of Jemaine and the fan

Just thought that was kinda neat!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:00 am

*anxiously awaiting WTF! reports*

:nails: :worry:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:04 am

Okay, this has got to stop - this is the second long post that has been lost because even though I was signed on and was posting, it must have taken too long, and I was forced to sign in again, which lost the whole post! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Okay, I'm wayyyy too tired to recap what I had written, but it was a great show with close to 7,500 people - the largest crowd the Agganis had ever had for a show, sold out, and with a one beer only policy, people actually listened!!! :yay:
This was the most relaxed I had seen the guys. They could actually banter, and some of it was truly priceless. I'm not going to describe it now, I'll just say some of it had to do with NZ men and scruff and Jemaine rubbing his beard across the mike. :eyelashes:

Fashion: Jemmy in white leisure suit, but with a virrryyyy low cut grey tank top underneath, which was viry sixy indeed.
Bret in a crisp white shirt with subtle stripes, and his skinny tie. No haircuts or shaves.
The banter about Nigel's entrance with Bret doing a fashion description of Nigel's duds was :roll2:

Health: I'm still concerned about Bret, he sounds fine, but he had an extra water bottle and was really hydrating himself often, and toweling off his face. (He threw it into the front row!!! :shock: ) He still looked great on the jumbotron and right in front of me, I just hope he's on the mend.

Music: Absolutely as tight as ever, such a joy to hear Nigel's additions to songs, especially the Mutha'uckas arrangement - :thumb: Stana brought the house down. I want this song - so well done! Demon Woman was outrageous - Jem was right in front of me for the drum hits/guitar bit, and his evil look reminded me of him watching the door for Murray with the gel!

I met Phasers_on_Funky and we had a nice chat, I met the guys' manager's parents (they said he's not like Murray), and I met Sheila. SW, she said she'd look for you in Philly, she'll be at both shows.

Eugene Mirman opened the show, and was hysterical. He's got beautiful blue eyes! I just want to warn Amanda, he does a bit about a bad experience with Delta you'll see in Toronto. :rolleyes: Kristen also opened, and was great as always.

I did not meet the guys. :cry: But I'm okay with it. I had last year, before barricades, and when I have more time I'll tell more stuff, but I've got to say :goodnight:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Nancy, sorry you lost your post. It never happens to me and I leave a message in my browser half typed for hours.

All I can suggest is if you are typing a long important post then use a text editor or notepad or some such and save it in there before copy and pasting over when you are ready to post. That way you won't lose it.

czell
New arrival

Postby czell » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Here's a (sort of) review from The Boston Herald:

http://tinyurl.com/cmoom5

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:06 pm

Oh Nancy - you sure are getting your fill - good going! It sounds like yet another great night.
Health: I'm still concerned about Bret, he sounds fine, but he had an extra water bottle and was really hydrating himself often, and toweling off his face. (He threw it into the front row!!! ) He still looked great on the jumbotron and right in front of me, I just hope he's on the mend.

I think if he were getting worse, he wouldn't even be able to do the show? We'll keep our prayers and good thoughts with him - it's got to be difficult to recuperate what with being on the road all the time. Looking forward to hearing more. :D
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote: I'll just say some of it had to do with NZ men and scruff and Jemaine rubbing his beard across the mike. :eyelashes:

Fashion: Jemmy in white leisure suit, but with a virrryyyy low cut grey tank top underneath, which was viry sixy indeed.
No. Words. :o :shock: :drool: :thud:

Okay I've recovered. The shows sound flipping amazing. Glad you got to experience it Nancy.

I've never have a problem losing posts. I would check your log in settings. Mine are set to always be on so I guess I never get booted out. But it did used to happen on another board so I got trained to type long posts in word and copy and paste it into the forum.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:47 pm

SheWolf wrote:I've never have a problem losing posts. I would check your log in settings. Mine are set to always be on so I guess I never get booted out. But it did used to happen on another board so I got trained to type long posts in word and copy and paste it into the forum.

There is also that. I am set to never log out.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks Nancy for your account of the show! Judging by yours and Sheila's recap of the show, it must have gone amazingly well because the crowd seemed well behaved and the boys were relaxed. And you guys were so lucky to have both Eugene and Kristen open the show.

Shame there wasn't a meet and greet but Sheila was very lucky to bump into Jemaine. He looked great! Another person bumped into Bret in the car park before the show.

It might just be me but I can't see the link you posted czell.

Here's the recap from the Boston Herald:

Fasten your seatbelts and enjoy your 'Flight'

Here’s progress: Flight of the Conchords has gone from New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo a cappella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo to America’s most popular comedy duo, period.

Last night musical Kiwis Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie - stars of the HBO sitcom “Flight of the Conchords” - filled Agganis Arena. Impressive for two dudes who sing about cruel choirs of ex-girlfriends, David Bowie’s nipple antennae and “Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor.”

It never ceases to amaze that thousands will pay $40 to hear joke songs they’ve heard dozens of times already. But with the Conchords it makes way more sense than with Weird Al or the Barenaked Ladies.

First, Jemaine and Bret have got some brilliant stage banter - or, as they called it, “professional talking.” A good chunk of this involved daring the crowd to build human pyramid and then trying to figure out the mathematics of just how to make a human pyramid out of a thousand people - “That’s just some of our math based comedy,” quipped Bret. But they also managed to chatter about whales’ struggles with dialing 911 and the size of the New Zealand Philharmonic, which turned about to be just one guy who backed up the pair on the cello.

But mostly its because their songs - and their quirky, genuine delivery (think of a kinder, gentler Tenacious D) - are so much funnier than other music comedians.

“Hurt Feelings” explored how rappers are more sensitive than one might expect - “I feel like prize (expletive), no one compliments my casserole,” rapped Jemaine. “Think About It” turned a great Marvin Gaye (or Bobby McFerrin) breakdown into hilarious riff on sweatshop sneakers and death by cutlery. And then there was everybody’s favorite, “Business Time”: “When it’s with me you only need about two minutes, ’cause I’m so intense/It’s concentrated, like Tang, you only need a little.”

Kristen Schaal, who fans of the show know as Conchords stalker-fan Mel, preceded the duo with her own brand of absurdity. She managed to make a one-act play about about a pot and a wooden spoon’s ill-fated love funny, heartbreaking and pretty erotic.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Looks like Boston at least won Jemaine over!
"You're a very attractive city. We'd love to take you back to the hotel" :lol:

Issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwDjzejUHiE
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”