April 19th 2009, Kent Oh

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
stank
Giving the paper to the people

Re: April 19th 2009, Kent Oh

Postby stank » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 am

Any tweets yet?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 am

arto wrote:ahhhh so excited about this.

leaving soon, getting some chipotle, and then I'll be well on my way to seeing FOTC!!!

I may or may not have a nice present for you folks here after this show.

We love presents. :)

I hope it's a great show and meet&greet!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:02 am

Hm, just saying that his seats were a bit different than shown on the TM map...

and that as far as we know it's not raining... :)

There's a pic someone else has tweeted of Kristen on stage...

that's about it thus far :)

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:06 am

arto wrote:ahhhh so excited about this.

leaving soon, getting some chipotle, and then I'll be well on my way to seeing FOTC!!!

I may or may not have a nice present for you folks here after this show.

Ooh gifts are very welcome ;)

Can't wait to hear about how this gig goes :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

arto
New arrival

Postby arto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:46 am

wow. great show. well, it was great, just cause I've never seen them before... anyway I'll continue:

Setlist (some kind of rough order)
Too many dicks
Most Beautiful Girl
Hurt Feelings
*here it gets kinda fuzzy*
Stana
Ex Girlfriends
Freekay
Mutha uckas
Bus Driver Song
Jenny
A Kiss is Not a Contract
I'm Not Crying
Robots
Albi
Sexy Lady
Suga lumps

Encore:
uhhh there were 4 songs... I only remember 2 though
it ended with:
Demon Woman
Something... can't remember... or maybe there was just banter... WHO KNOWS
Hiphopopotamous
and
Bowie

Yeah. No Business Time, If You're Into It, or Cellotape, the latter two being my favorite songs :(

ok so

The crowd was.... meh... they didn't do much. They weren't particularly rude, but they were just, dumb..... They didn't know how to participate with anything, almost to the point where it was funny

Too Many Dicks: sounded really weird, maybe it was the sound system, but Jemaine sounded weird, also, the disco dicks were intact! Also, there were some technical issues, causing feedback literally EVERY time Bret said "dicks" for the first 30 sec or so.
Hurt Feelings: Loved it, especially live
Stana was confusing and awesome
Ex GF's was disappointing cause nobody at all sang.
Freaky was way cooler last year with the keytar
Jenny was really different ish
BUS DRIVER SONG!
Kiss is not a Contract was a request
I'm not Crying was great
Albi was also great

During Sugalumps some girl rushed the stage during just the dancing part and Bret rapped his way to calling security on her.

They really skimped on banter/dialogue :( I always thought that their banter was brilliant and just as important as the songs, but they really almost did none. Basically between the first couple songs, then they just went at the middle of the setlist, barely saying anything, then stopped in the middle of Stana to talk, then talked a little at the end, including talking about the encore, where "they pretend they're leaving then just come back" it was funnier.. I promise.

also, I saw Bad Atom from a distance, even took a picture in that direction (just to be creepy... jk. :whistle: ). I didn't go in to say anything cause well.. I'm new and that would be weird, plus I was deep in conversation with my friends.

ok yea present time..... if it is allowed, I may or may not have two separate full audio recordings that need to be compared for quality and matrixed and such. If it's allowed, they'll be uploaded and distributed to the people evenly tomorrow. As for me, I gotta go SLEEP.

ok after literally editing this 7 times, I'm done.. night.
sorry for lots of grammar and capitalization issues. I'm tired. And FOTC'ed out.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 am

arto wrote:And FOTC'ed out.

I don't believe I'll ever reach this point.

Ever.

Does this make me pathetic? Possibly. Probably. More than likely...

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:55 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
arto wrote:And FOTC'ed out.

I don't believe I'll ever reach this point.

Ever.

Does this make me pathetic? Possibly. Probably. More than likely...

Nah... I haven't gotten there yet either... I'm contemplating blowing my refund on a west coast tour. :wink:

Yay for what sounds like another great show!
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 am

I'll never get burned out either.....I wake up with their songs in my head. This morning it was Motha 'Uckas.

Thanks for the present, Arto! I hope it works out and we get to listen. :D

I'm sorry your crowd was the more reserved kind......somewhere in between would be good. Did they do a meet and greet or did you not stay?
ImageImage

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:16 am

Hey all,

Lots to tell after I sleep a bit. :)

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm

Ok, precious Atom - you've had enough sleep, time to tell it all like it was. :type: :yawinkle:
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:48 pm

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :boogie: :whitey: :whitey: :whitey: :whitey: :whitey:

meet and greet!

meet and greet!

meet and greet!

meet and greet!

They did one! They did one! They did one! They did one!

*does major happy dance*

Alright Atom, now SPILL!

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks arto for your account! Can't wait to read Bad Atom's account and anyone else who went to the show's account too :)

An article:

Flight of the Conchords land with disco balls, parodies
3,000 flock to M.A.C. for singing comedians
Katie Young
Issue date: 4/20/09 Section: News

Jemaine Clemet and Bret McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords entertain a crowd of more than 3,000 at the M.A.C. Center last night. Katie Young | Daily Kent Stater

Students, parents and everyone in between filed into the M.A.C. Center to see Flight of the Conchords, "New Zealand's fourth most popular digi-folk paradists," last night.

The crowd of more than 3,000 erupted into applause when two concert-goers dressed in robot costumes took their seats near the front of the stage. The get-ups were near replicas of ones Flight of the Conchords wore in an episode of their self-titled HBO show.

Finally, the lights dimmed and a booming voice came over the speakers and promised the audience that "minds will be blown" and that they will be "showered with awesomeness" by the opening act, Kristen Schaal.

Schaal hopped on stage wearing sparkly gold pants, which she claims she "stole from a genie." Her goofy, girlish voice contrasted her jokes, which were peppered with bad language. Her material ranged from the tame (government bailouts) to the bizarre (the life of a mattress).

Schaal ended her set with her rendition of an audition for "Law and Order: SVU." Schaal played the role of a "chubby grocer" and shoved nearly half of a chocolate cake into her mouth. Covered in frosting, Schaal introduced the Kiwi duo, otherwise known as Flight of the Conchords.

Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clemet took the stage in silver jumpsuits complete with disco balls glued to the crotches of their pants. The two opened the show by playing their club-inspired song about the lack of women on the dance floor, "Too Many Dicks."

After changing into their street clothes, McKenzie and Clemet played songs from both seasons of their show, including crowd favorite "Carol Brown," which is about Clemet's ex-girlfriends.

The crowd professed their love for the group, requesting McKenzie and Clemet to take off their clothes and complimenting their footwear choices. The pair played along and even reprimanded a man for interrupting another heckler.

Source
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Another review:

Concert Review: Flight of the Conchords at KSU's MAC Center, 4/19
Posted by Michael Gallucci on Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM

HBO's hit comedy series Flight of the Conchords documents the trials and tribulations of a dry-witted New Zealand folk/pop/rock duo as it tries to make it big in New York City. The Flight of the Conchords (Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, playing themselves) perform songs on the show that fit the strange situations they find themselves in week after week. Their songs often reference characters from the program, but they also work out of context, as last year's self-titled album (a collection of the songs from the show's first season) proved. It shouldn’t come as a big surprise that the songs work just as well onstage.

On TV, Jemaine and Bret seldom play to a crowd that includes anyone other than their one stalker fan, Mel (Kristen Schaal, who's also opening the group's current tour). Last night at Kent State University’s MAC Center, the guys played in front of a capacity crowd of several thousand.

Opening with the synth-poppy “Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor,” the Conchords took a stripped-down approach to the tunes, sitting on bar stools and playing acoustic guitars for the majority of the 90-minute set. Their banter, which seemed ad-libbed since they often took on hecklers, took up almost as much time as the music. While it's easy to dismiss the band as a novelty (the hilarious “Bowie” is a spot-on spoof of David Bowe’s Ziggy Stardust phase), the music works on several levels.

"Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros" and “Mutha Uckas” featured tongue-twisting raps that showed off the duo’s extensive vocabulary. And ballads like “The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room)” and “A Kiss Is Not a Contract” (which they played after a fan yelled out for it as a request) are kinda tender, despite their goofy lyrics.

And while the guys joked that everything they did during last night's concert was scripted, that clearly wasn’t the case. They certainly couldn’t have known that a couple of fans would show up wearing the robot outfits that Jermaine and Bret sported in a memorable episode. And they couldn’t have known that those costumed guys would get up and dance frantically when the duo played “Robots.” Jemaine and Bret had fun with the robot fans and directed more than one joke their way.

Much like Tenacious D, Flight of the Conchords riff on many of rock's clichés. And like Tenacious D, they’re smart enough and funny enough to do it in ways that transcend novelty-act trappings. After last night's entertaining performance, that's more than obvious. —Jeff Niesel

Source
&

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:52 pm

The pair played along and even reprimanded a man for interrupting another heckler.

Ha ha ha! Classic! :lol:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Nice reviews but man...can't they spell his last name right?? ClemeNt!

And hey...I bet they'll be happy to hear that they've proven they have an "extensive vocabulary" based on their song lyrics. :lol:

I want to see footage of the guys in the robots outfits- sounds great! :D

C'mon Atom...wake up and throw us a bone here....we're dying!
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”