April 19th 2009, Kent Oh

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
arto
New arrival

Re: April 19th 2009, Kent Oh

Postby arto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:28 pm

I couldn't stay for the meet and greet... I kinda lost hope since it was storming... and the front of the venue has no real place to stay out of the storm... well I had to go to school today anyway, so I would've been even more tired that I already am

ALSO: It's been requested that I don't "publicly" distribute the show, but PM me if you'd like the audio from the show...

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote: And my hotel room has an extra bed if anyone wants to claim that as well (Sully I'm looking at you here ;) ). Wow that sounded creepy of me

I am broken-heartedly pm-ing you now... :tears:

Has anyone unearthed an pictures yet? :)
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:31 pm

:( for Arto- no meet and greet.

:cry: for Sully, too. No go?

I'm also wondering- where are all of the pics?? :D And the meet and greet accounts??
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

arto
New arrival

Postby arto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm

LSully9 wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote: And my hotel room has an extra bed if anyone wants to claim that as well (Sully I'm looking at you here ;) ). Wow that sounded creepy of me

I am broken-heartedly pm-ing you now... :tears:

Has anyone unearthed an pictures yet? :)

I have exactly one... and it was before the show.. in the general direction of what looked like Mr. Atom...

oh and it's a crappy cell phone pic. can't forget that part.

the place was completely packed by the time Kristen came on stage, though.

Also, the recording is ready to send to folks... PM if you'd like.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Sorry folks, I wanted to sleep in today. :)

Arto has the setlist right, nothing to add there. I was thinking about Twittering during the show, but I think that's just rude. The girls sitting next to us didn't have a problem texting the whole time though.

Yes, I was annoyed about the seating arrangements. On the Ticketmaster chart the seats went from left to right, 1 to 12. At the show, it was right to left. So instead of being in the middle, we were pretty much all the way on the left-hand side. Which means I missed out on getting pictures of the two guys in the robot costumes, and I would have had a much better view of that girl that tried to jump on stage. I did get a little video of that, about two seconds after Bret yelped "security!" and pushed her off. I really hope she isn't someone on this board...

I managed to get a decent amount of pictures and a few snippets of video, although the quality isn't much to write home about. I'll be posting everything soon once I do some work in Photoshop. :) I only got yelled at once by security to put my camera away, which I thought was funny considering the girl in front of us had her phone out and recorded the last two songs in their entirety. :hrm:

Probably the highlight of the night was when they asked for requests, I yelled out "Play whatever you want!" both times, and I'm pretty sure they looked at me. :)

Speaking of people that yell out stupid stuff, this audience was more subdued than most. Most of the noise seemed to come from the upper left and right sections, not much from the floor. What I really enjoyed compared to last year (in Columbus) was how the guys handled the noise/heckling/etc. They seemed much more at ease and less annoyed. It's like they now understand that people are going to be stupid and try to interrupt the show, so they go with it, turn it into part of the banter, and even laugh about it. I was glad because last year it got to the point where they were "shushing" the audience.

Some of the best stuff included:

A girl yelling that she liked their shoes, and the ensuing conversation over whose shoes she was talking about. "One shoe each?"

A girl yelled "Take off your clothes" rather unenthusiastically, and Jemaine ran with it, saying there must be a medical practitioner in the house.

And I have video of Bret's verbal smackdown of the whistler. :)

Now for the show itself...

First off, Kristen Schaal was hysterical. We've never seen any of her live stuff before and she was great. The sign of a good comedian is that I'm able to quote them hours later, which we were doing constantly on the drive home. "Law & Order: SVU - The Rape Show". :lol: I loved the spoon/pot/lid bit, the mattress bit, and her reference to the two "foreigners" backstage was cute. We both agreed that we would see her perform on her own, she was really good.

Then the guys came out with their robot costumes and started out with "Too Many Dicks", which nearly killed the audio system. I was paying more attention to the newer songs, wondering how they would play live. "Hurt Feelings" was great, as was "Sexy Lady" which brilliantly segued into a slow version of "Sugalumps", which I guess was too much for that one girl to handle. :bounce:

As for the older songs (I'm not going in order here) I really enjoyed the inclusion of Nigel, the "New Zealand Symphony Orchestra". The cello (I'm assuming it was a cello) really added to a lot of the songs. "Jenny" in particular sounded beautiful. I was also happy they played "Bus Driver's Song" and especially "Carol Brown" because it just sounds better live.

They also did "Robots" and the two robot guys in the front row pretty much upstaged them by dancing during the song. That was great! Those are some dedicated fans, they were also literally the last people to leave after the show. And I was actually relieved that they didn't play "Business Time" - I'm as tired of that song as they probably are.

The only new song, "Stana" was really good, except for when I was rudely interrupted by big mean security guy. :hrmpf: It had the flavor of an Old West kind of song, the kind you'd sing about Billy the Kid or whatnot. I really liked it.

And now for the negative stuff...

I know the venue was basically a gym, but couldn't they get someone to cover up all those windows? It got dark enough eventually, but still...

The sound was very rough, especially at first. It's not a huge building, so why have it cranked up so loud? The lyrics can be hard enough to hear just because of their accents!

Whoever was operating the cameras was desperately trying to keep up with the guys most of the time. Maybe he/she didn't know the songs very well and didn't know what was coming? Also, whoever it was obviously prefers Jemaine because he was on the big screens much more than Bret was. I know because I was trying to get pictures of both of them.

This will probably sound harsh, but my brother and I agree - Jemaine, how hard is it to sing on-key? He was all over the place throughout the entire show. He flubbed the lyrics several times and it was not so good. Bret, on the other hand, messed up very rarely and when he did, it was more of a Pee-Wee Herman "I meant to do that" that didn't throw everything off. I was reminded of that awful article by that mean feminist lady and how she was going on about how the guys really aren't that good. And I don't think it's true, I just think it was a very rough performance in places.

So they did do a meet-and-greet after all? Sigh. We assumed between the rain and the stage-jumping girl that they wouldn't come out. We just went out to my car and waited for all the horrible college drivers to leave before we left. There were a handful of people hanging outside the building for a while but it didn't look like anything was going on. After the robot guys walked to their car, we left.

Also, they didn't play "Ladies of the World". AGAIN. Come on!!!

I'll post the pictures and video very soon. And Arto, you should have waved or said hi! I love meeting strangers. Just not in dark alleys. :)

I'm actually on vacation for the rest of the week now. Did someone say "Detroit" and "free ticket"? :worry:

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Welcome back to the land of the living! We thought we'd lost you. :wink: lol!

Thanks for sharing your show story. :) I'm pretty sure Stana is going to become a favourite for me. It feels very Johnny Cash to me, and I love Johnny Cash.

And full done robots? Shame on me... I was just going to do the head, and then didn't, but I was going to.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Bad Atom

Postby Bad Atom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 pm

No, it was just a long night. We got back from the show at about 2AM, then went shopping. I don't think I went to bed until 6. :)

Johnny Cash! That's who I was trying to think of! It's really a good song, isn't it?

As for the robots, I would never go that far. Their costumes were near-perfect, though. They did have trouble keeping their heads on during the dancing...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:46 pm

They did have trouble keeping their heads on during the dancing...

Just like the real deal, then! :D

Thanks for the play-by-play- you should come to Detroit so you can compare shows and meet them. Cuz they want to meet us.
I bet they're counting down the days just like we are....... :wink:

yis, dreaming again.....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

stank
Giving the paper to the people

Postby stank » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Bad Atom wrote:
Probably the highlight of the night was when they asked for requests, I yelled out "Play whatever you want!" both times, and I'm pretty sure they looked at me. :)

That's a good idea. I'm not one to shout out at shows but if I was, that's what I would do.

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:48 pm

LauraK wrote:I bet they're counting down the days just like we are....... :wink:

yis, dreaming again.....

I'm sure they are*!!!

*but probably for different reasons... :wink:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:18 am

Thanks Bad Atom for your detailed account of the show! :D

I found this video(tut tut for spelling Jemaine's name wrong in the title) of clips of the show yesterday and you can see the robots dancing at 5:17- their outfits look very impressive haha!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odBTeiSTWc
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Bad Atom

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:38 am

As promised, pictures from the show. I did some work on some of them in Photoshop, did some cropping, etc...

Kristen Schaal in "The Life of a Mattress"

The guys come out as robots...

Jemaine checks his "cheat sheet"

This is my favorite picture I took from the show, and my new desktop!

Jemaine looks for the girl who asked him to take off his clothes...

Banter

My accidental "flash" shot. D'oh!

Flight of the Conchords, or Lazy Town?

And here's the video footage I got, well, 40 seconds' worth of it anyway. Bret mocks a whistler, and the moment after the stage-jumper:
http://www.badatom.com/fotc/fotc_kent.mpg

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:04 am

Thanks for the pics and video Bad Atom. 8) That person did sound like they were randomly trying to whistle haha!
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

stank
Giving the paper to the people

Postby stank » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:08 am

Bad Atom wrote:Image
Flight of the Conchords, or Lazy Town?

Nice. It's a piece of cake to make a pretty cake!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:15 am

How many rows back were you, Atom?

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”