April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

Postby LSully9 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

SheWolf wrote:At one of the shows I was at recently (sorry they are starting to blur in my mind, perhaps it was 2nd philly show?) Jemaine's response to some heckling was "shut up" or "you're ruining the show." Pretty direct I would say and I'm sure he meant every word even though it was couched in a somewhat humorous tone.

Yup... That'd be the show. He said that's how they deal with heckling, they tell us to shut up.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Good shoes Jem...

And socks.... (they don't really look like business socks)

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:34 pm

It's past noon, and I've only just gotten up. Still in my PJs. Bibli's in the kitchen making tea, Amanda's still sleeping like the rock star that she is. Very happy people.

Okay, first up, because there seem to be some speculation, Miss Boo is exactly right - the heckling was incredibly mild except for maybe one instance where a group of girls towards the front (from the US) started being pillocks, and even that didn't faze the guys at all. One of the girls started screeching away, and Jemaine, after staring at her, nonplussed, simply said, "Lady, shut up." Got the biggest laugh and applause of the night. There was some random tossing of things on stage (toothbrushes during Business Time, a handful of jellybeans during Albi, an eyepatch during Bowie, which Bret was delighted to wear).

Bibli said the heckling and general crowd behaviour was so much gentler than in New York - it really, really wasn't anywhere near as bad as has been reported. Massey Hall was a fantastic venue, small and very intimate, and we chatted to people who were up in the second gallery, and even they said that they had brilliant views of the lads. The sound was really clear, no muddiness at all. Just beautiful.

Jemaine was wearing a very cute pair of jeans and a denim shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and some spiffing argyle socks. Bret was in dark trousers, untucked French-cuffed shirt with a tie, and his beloved chucks. Between the three of us, we got some great pictures of them, which you will be bombarded with in a mo.

For me, and I'm sure the other girls will have a different choice, the highlight of the show was Foux Du Fa Fa, which somebody called out as a request. Bret immediately smiled and nodded and said "We haven't done that one on the tour yet." It was just fantastic, and there was much ad-libbing in French by Bret, who was actually extremely fluid and comfortable. It cracked me up because apart from the Vancouver show, this was probably the location on the tour where the boys could start speaking in French, and everyone in the audience could follow along without any problems. When Jemaine finally confessed to not being able to speak French ("Non"), Bret affectionately told him he was a "sac à douche". Just WONDERFUL. I'm still smiling.

We had lovely drinks and chatter with Miss Boo and Parttimemodel, who are really excellent folk. You'd like them a great deal. I feel so lucky to have gotten the chance to meet them.

And the reason they didn't do the meet and greet? Honestly? They just didn't feel like it. There were probably a thousand reasons why they wanted to go home and go to bed, and none of them had to do with the audience. We'll try again tonight, and hope for the best. But we all agreed that it was still a glowingly magical night. No hurt feelings here.

Okay, going to sort out pictures now. Bear with us.
Last edited by ASmallTurnip on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Glad to hear the heckling wasn't as big a deal as mentioned previously. I know these things tend to be very subjective.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:52 pm

:clap: Yay!

My fingers are crossed for M&G tonight.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 pm

So happy to hear the homeland represented! I was worried!

Sounds like a wonderful evening ladies. I so wish I could have been there to join you!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Okay! Here's a little eyepatch-wearing Bret, but if you'd like to see some more, you can have a lookie at the others here. Amanda and Bibli have much, much better ones than I do, so hold on to your seats for their long, luscious, lingering close-ups of the boys. I feel tingly in my bits just thinking about them.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Those are great, Turnip! Your camera takes such clear, sharp pictures! No problems getting it in? Wait...you were allowed, right?

Looking forward to those tingle-inducing close-ups!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Yeah, what the flip? I have no idea why my camera basically crapped out for these shows and gave me blur when it's normally good. Great pix Turnip.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 pm

My only remaining theory is kind of along the lines of what Turnip said - with doing two shows in the same city on consecutive nights, they probably felt it was overkill to do meet and greets after both shows. As long as the weather holds out for tonight, I have an inkling there will be one tonight :)

I'm so glad you guys enjoyed yourself! I can't believe we're the next show after tonight's! And yet it's still two days away!

I wished I lived closer to Detroit so I could spend most of the day Thursday and Friday out and about bird watching (get it? KIWI bird watching? :lol: eh? :lol: eh? :lol:) instead of going to class and driving :(

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm new here - but I was lucky enough to go to the concert last night. My first ever concert, too... and it was absolutely amazing. The heclers weren't nearly as bad as I heard people make them out to be. Honestly, it was probably only 2 or 3 times and Jemaine and Bret simply shrugged it off and turned the joke around on them. I did really, really enjoy the shout out of "that's what she said" though - so did Bret and Jemaine.

I was really bummed that they managed to sneak away without coming to see the fans. I had spoken to a new security guard about whether or not they were divas and he said a definite no (I always check because I had a bad experience with a celeb I really, really admired a few years back. Major diva.). At first we were told they'd be an additional 45 minutes - due to some review papers they had to do? So, me, my sister and about half of the crowd stayed. Nothing. An hour or so later, there was probably about 30 of us still waiting around and that's when the merch lady came out and said they had gone - though I didn't believe them and stayed for another hour and a half. I was pretty bummed about not seeing them, but I met some great people last night. I usually get a confused look when I either play or ask something if they know Flight of the Conchords so it was definitely nice to know that all of the people I was speaking to appreciated the same music as I did. I really wish I remember the names of the people I met.. I think one of the name was named Amanda and she was from England, with a girl from Barcelona. They ended up staying after me, my sister and two other girls decided to head home and I wanted to check with them on there accounts of what happened afterwards, hah.

All in all - the night was amazing. I'm a tad bummed that it's over but I'll always have the videos and pictures to remind me. Oh, I do happen to have the video of Jemaine telling someone to shut up, so I might upload that later. Great first FoTC experience and even better first concert experience! I wish I could go tonight again!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Sounds like you met Amanda (from Barcelona) and Turnip (from London).
90% evil
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:22 pm

Such wonderful impromtu folk-meets. Sorry to hear you guys waited so long without even a sighting. I spent many a night outside venues waiting to meet artists- sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are entirely let down.

I am really hoping that there will be one for you tonight... if anyone here the word "sister" and "lives in Africa" and "loves you guys" from a mid-twenties tall guy talking to B or J, you can pretty much assume its my brother. No luck on tickets for him yet, but he is considering heading down to Massey after for the M&G.

Great pictures Turnip! They are so clear- some of the best shots I have seen on tour.

I went looking, but couldn't find- has anyone posted a set list yet?
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Turnip is after me to testify re: last night, so here it is:

[Joisey accent] YOU CALL DAT HECKLING! YA BUNCHA AMATEURS! MY GRAMMA GIVES THE PRIEST A HARDER TIME AT SUNDAY MASS![/Joisey accent]

Seriously, Jemaine had everything under control, and the guys had a field day razzing anyone who occasionally piped up. We gave then two standing O's, and at the end of the show, Jemaine specifically said "You were a wonderful audience."

Massey Hall was just a fantasticvenue to see them in. NYC folks, it's like Town Hall - small, intimate. If the guys had done HvR, Jemaine easily could have impregnated well into the 15th row. I'd travel here to see a show again, definitely.

Meeting Miss Boo and parttimemodel for before-show drinks & dessert (always start with dessert...) was a treat. This board really attracts great people! After the show, we met Etan (sp?) from Rochester, who drove in to catch the guys and waited as long as he could (past midnight!!) before making the trek back to get to a 10am class - hope you got enough coffee, man! OmgSarah, you & your crew were a riot to wait with. Too bad the white van never returned...

4/21 fun fact - the posters had misprints! They're dated 4/23 and have Kristen as the opener! Someone mentioned having Eugene (who was superfunny) editing the poster when he signed it.

My photos from the gig linked below. Yes, I went nuts, I know.

Album #1
Album #2
Album #3
Album #4
Spandex Inspector #12

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Toronto- April 21+22nd

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:19 pm

WhippetGood wrote:I'll be there for show 2! I can pick up merch, I've got my shopping bag, oops I mean my DH. Just pm me. :D

I recognise that whippet!

Good to see you here :) :rock:

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”