April 26 - Madison, Wisconsin

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

April 26, Madison, WI

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 am

Were there any WTFers at this show? I hope some attendees come in and share the experience.......:)
(I actually checked to see how far a drive this would be... :oops: )
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Re: April 26, Madison, WI

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:11 am

Here's a short review:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/448727

Spelled their names right and everything :D

Still hoping for some fan-accounts....
ImageImage

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

April 26 - Madison, Wisconsin

Postby Whambi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:54 am

Just a brilliant show!
Great theatre and surprisingly very few hecklers
Scribbled some notes about the line up

Here goes:
Too Many Dicks
-Banter about leaving the talking to the professionals (not sure what someone yelled out...probably a request)
-Banter about being late 25 minutes even though they came in the same vehicle
Hurt Feelings
-Jemaine gave a thank you to Madison, asked if anyone named Madison in audience, man yelled yeah, he said it's a lady's name
-they were impressed with the Overture Center for the Arts (it had many balcony's and what looked like box seats, pointed to a box and said there is the Queen, then there is the mayor.....
Stana
Most Beautiful Girl
-Jemaine again says something like we were supposed play at Madison's house (instead of at the Overture)
-Introduces Nigel of the NZ orchestra to the crowd
Choir of the Ex Girlfriends
-Bret wanted the girls to sing the chorus, while giving the audience instructions, a man yells out Jemaine, take off your cardigan, he then proceeds to take it off saying that he is bound by the rules to take it off then ANOTHER MAN yells take your pants off Bret...Bret starts to unbutton his pants, then Jemaine says something like its not a good idea to do the show like that, then proceeds to tell Bret he'll have to play his guitar in his crotch all night, Jem demonstrates with his Omnichord, Bret follows (gosh, I hope someone got a shot of that)
-Bret says Jemaine should set the omnichord on fire, says he'll do it on the last night of the tour
-Bret mentions about getting BJ's in the back of the stage, someone yells out, from Jemaine, they laugh, Jemaine says there's a table there, it could be Nigel, they have a roster
Jenny
-Jemaine starts talking about wolfs, don't know why, missed something that was said? then he mentioned the wolves at the Orlando show
I'm Not Crying
Business Time
Mutha' uckas
-Heckler yells the usual, where's Murray and another one where's Mel, Jemaine says they're having pizza with Bart Simpson and the Family Guy
-Another heckler yells Freebird, they actually play about two minutes of Freebird...sounded damn good!
I Told You I was Freaky
-banter about issues, whales, calling 911
Think, Think about It
In Love With a Sexy Lady
which segued into a mellow version of
Sugarlumps

Encores:
Demon Woman
Albi
BUS DRIVER SONG, yes I am a very happy gal :D
-banter about acid trip which segued into
Bowies in Space

post concert info to follow
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Re: April 26 - Madison, Wisconsin

Postby Whambi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 am

Didn't buy the poster, it looked like it was by Tyler Stout, mostly green/blue, reason for not buying it, it had a nice drawing of Jemaine but only the backside of Bret in his puffy ski vest holding the hot dog sign. Hopefully someone had a pic.
Left to go the parking garage up on the 3rd floor about 25 minutes after the show and I see flashes galore going off. Man they came out quickly
now kicks self for not buying poster. Only bought the black glockenspeil shirt ( called it a xylophone and the seller says no it's a rockin' glockenspiel shirt) and magnet and stickers had nothing to sign
was in shock that they came out so quickly so drove car out to the tour busses
didn't plan on going, but what the heck, the line went quite quickly
too quickly for my brain to retain a thought
I thanked Jemaine for singing Bus Drivers Song tonight then asked why they only played a little tease of an instrumental version at the end of the episode & why not the whole song, I said you were able to nicely edit Petrov, Yelyena and Me into the show, why not Bus Driver song? he said something like they did tape parts of it for the episode, but didn't have enough bits..or did he say time
I was too enamoured with his fuzzy cardigan and scruffy beard to fully comprehend what he said
so if I can somehow put 2 and 2 together, I guess there is limited footage of Bus Driver Song that wasn't seen yet
then off to see Bret
some guy brought a VHS copy of the Matrix for him to sign, that was cool
I said to Bret that I noticed on YouTube I've never seen anyone post a concert video of you singing Sally, do you ever play it in concert? He at first didn't know what I was talking about then I said it was from the episode Sally Returns, then he says oh yeah and starts singing a few lines :love: i start swooning!!! He said yeah I guess we never do sing it, I guess we could do it
now, brazen me, says to Bret, then do you think you could sing it this upcoming Tuesday in Chicago......or Wednesday????
I'm not sure what his answer was as he went on to the next person
.......one can only hope that I'll hear my favourite Conchord song someday :pray:
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: April 26, Madison, WI

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am

I have some stuff been emailed in. I'll try to post it later.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:14 pm

That would be AWESOME if they sang Song For Sally! I thought about yelling it out when they *somewhat* asked for requests at the Detroit show. I was torn between yelling that and Petrov...and I yelled neither.

But awesome that you actually talked to the guys a bit about stuff - I wish I would've done that. Ah regrets, I have a few :)

Question of the day: BEARD WATCH 2009 MUST KNOW - Did Jemaine shave?

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:28 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Question of the day: BEARD WATCH 2009 MUST KNOW - Did Jemaine shave?

Nope, he had nice scruffy beard. I'll give you an update after Tuesday's show

No wonder Bret gave me a quizzical look when I said "Sally" not the real name of it "Song for Sally" I'm so bad with song titles

I was amazed that I was able to make a coherent sentence to either. I was all cottonmouth when I met them last May in Milwaukee, yet they are so patient and accomodating to their fans

Someone already posted the video of the hecklers asking them to take their clothing off on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpseisBAWG4

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:53 pm

OK here are a couple of emails

First from Brian (will be on tour roundup also)

*Eugene opened and was pretty funny. It was weird right away that he wasn't discussing plumbing or giving them advice, but he was very good (he had a nice improv moment when asking the crowd what to do if a bear attacks ..... someone said "hit the bear in the junk and steal his wallet" ..... and Eugene ran with that

*They didn't play Robots or Rhym. vs Hiphop. or Frodo or Friends or Angels ..... and I was hoping for the normal Sugalumps version

*They briefly discussed season 3 ...... they said they wish someone from the future would give them a book with all of their future songs (like they did with Bowie), so they'd have an easier time with Season 3 (people really enjoyed that one)

*People who thought they were really funny kept yelling things and a lot of people were taking pictures during the show ..... but after the guy yelled Freebird they immediately played it ...... and the guy that yelled it seems to think he was the first person to ever yell that at a concert and that they sang the song just for him

Next from Tyler Gregory (will also be in roundup)

Hey,

Love your website. When I first got addicted to the Conchords after I saw their HBO One Night Stand I found your site and still visit it frequently.

The Madison show was an absolute blast. I forget the exact set list, but they opened with 'Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor', as seems to be the norm. 'Think About It', 'Jenny' and a few other classics from their early catalog made the cut as well. They ended the show with 'Freekie' and 'Sugar Lumps'. We got four encore songs, starting with 'Demon Woman,' continuing with 'Albi' and 'Bus Driver's Song', and ending with 'Bowie'. In the usual bantering run-up to 'Bowie', Bret asked if anyone was here from the future with a book of their songs so that they could use them "during the third season." At least another season is on their minds.

The hecklers were (thankfully) rather quiet during the show, though fan requests were shouted out, as was the usual 'Where's Murray?' The guys managed to spin most of them, saying in response to the Murray comment "Thank you for asking, as that points out that you're actually an idiot."

Interestingly, when 'freebird!' was shouted, the guys and the cellist (an excellent addition, by the way) launched into a fantastic rendition of Freebird. I was shocked that Bret and Jemaine looked like they enjoyed playing the cover, and it was absolutely amazing.

I'm heading back to the venue now to see if there's a chance at a photo with the guys after the show. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for the great resource. I'll follow up with the meet and greet portion if it pans out!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:17 pm

:clap: Whambi- great account! Now you're showing how to remember it all. I tried to write songs down but the banter, not so good at remembering. I loved reading it all! Maybe before they sing Song for Sally, he'll say that it's for a fan in WI...on better still, mention you by name- if you introduced yourself! :) Thanks!

Thanks also to Brian and Tyler for more excellent show info! :D

In the usual bantering run-up to 'Bowie', Bret asked if anyone was here from the future with a book of their songs so that they could use them "during the third season." At least another season is on their minds.

:shock: Wow.....and I thought the door was closed..... :o
ImageImage

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Sherry wrote:[b]*Eugene opened and was pretty funny. It was weird right away that he wasn't discussing plumbing or giving them advice, but he was very good (he had a nice improv moment when asking the crowd what to do if a bear attacks ..... someone said "hit the bear in the junk and steal his wallet" ..... and Eugene ran with that

That is my favourite bit that he does! I honestly don't think I will ever forget the response he got in Philly last year... :shock: :rolls:

Sherry wrote:*They briefly discussed season 3 ...... they said they wish someone from the future would give them a book with all of their future songs (like they did with Bowie), so they'd have an easier time with Season 3 (people really enjoyed that one)

Oh how I want to believe this, but I feel like it was probably just a joke.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks Whambi for your account of the show! Interesting that they have limited footage of the Bus Driver's Song. And I love 'Song for Sally', it's definitely underrated and I hope they play it at their next concert :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

hurt_feelings
New arrival

Postby hurt_feelings » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:38 am

Everyone, I'm really enjoying reading the recaps and seeing the pictures and everything. This may be a stupid question, but what in the world is this "Freebird" song I keep seeing mentioned?

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 am

It's the song that I awoke to with a groan most mornings while my mom chain smoked and sprayed her hair as high and as 80's as she could get it for the day. That and Baracuda by heart.

A better explanation is that it's a Lynard Skynard song. lol People for some reason yell for it at concerts reguardless of what show they are at. As to why???... I don't have a clue.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:54 am

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:02 am

So what would people yell out at a Lynard Skynard concert? :lol:

Members of Lynard Skynard can interpret it in one of two ways: either that person is a really big fan of Freebird or that person thinks the band is lame. Confuuuuusing.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”