May 14 - Portland

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

May 14 - Portland

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:29 am

I'll be there. Anyone else?

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Re: Portland 5/14

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 am

It makes me feel heavy-hearted seeing my beloved Birdie without Portland laughing companions. So until they come along Bird (and they will!), I'll be your buddy:

I'LL BE THERE! YAAAAAAAAAY! WE'RE GOING TO HAVE SUCH A LOVELY TIME! WOOHOOOOOOOO! *

*A dirty, dirty lie. But a heart-felt one. I'll be there in spirit, Bird. :goodman:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Aww, thanks Turnip... how truly great would it be if you really COULD be there?? I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I'm going to the show with some very old friends (um, been friends with them for a long time, they are not actually elderly) - we aren't sitting together but that's OK because I am in **THE FRONT ROW** so I will console myself with that. :wink: (I'm working on NOT jumping up and down, clapping my hands, and squealing every time I say that, with very limited success.)

I just want to have a place to come talk about the supreme awesomeness of my upcoming trip, so I appreciate you all letting me do that. :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:26 pm

mockingbird wrote:Aww, thanks Turnip... how truly great would it be if you really COULD be there?? I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I'm going to the show with some very old friends (um, been friends with them for a long time, they are not actually elderly) - we aren't sitting together but that's OK because I am in **THE FRONT ROW** so I will console myself with that. :wink: (I'm working on NOT jumping up and down, clapping my hands, and squealing every time I say that, with very limited success.)

I just want to have a place to come talk about the supreme awesomeness of my upcoming trip, so I appreciate you all letting me do that. :)

Ahhhhhhh.....you are sooooo going to get some Sugalumps shook at you..... :D In 16 days!

Take a better camera than mine, that's all I have to say.... :wink:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 pm

And RECORD stuff. Even if you just put it on record and stick it back in your purse - RECORD IT. You're going to miss the banter and the laughs you had - and eventually you'll start forgetting the banter! If there's one thing I could go back and do differently it'd be to RECORD IT.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Yep. I still canNOT believe I thought to do that for 1 song.....but no more. :( :wtf: was i thinking??
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 pm

LauraK wrote:Yep. I still canNOT believe I thought to do that for 1 song.....but no more. :( :wtf: was i thinking??

What we should've done is coordinated with each other. Michael and I could've done pictures and you could've gotten audio (since you were so close to Jemaine's speaker from what it sounds like)...or something like that.

:bang: Live and learn, eh?

Anyway, mockingbird, I'm so excited for you - I wish I could be there with you for the show - trust me, you have no idea how badly I wish that :lol:

Another thing I would suggest? Try not to get too excited for the show, because once it's over, the depression will smack you right in the face.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:32 am

Absorb it....and then head out for the meet and greet. :) Prepare to be dazzled. :prayer:

(Maybe write any questions you have on your hand...they sort of fly out of your brain when you're face-to-face, :lol:)
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:11 am

Laura and Kelly, you guys are cracking me up. I'll just call you right as the show begins and lay the cell phone on my lap and you guys can hear the whole thing, lol. I'll even hold up the phone at appropriate times so you guys can yell "Hooray!" and "Wahoo!" and "Freebird!" at them. :lol: (Well OK maybe not Freebird.)

kellysouthpaw wrote:Try not to get too excited for the show, because once it's over, the depression will smack you right in the face.

It's far too late for that. :wink: It's not just the Conchords, although that is huge obviously. I also get to see my friends who I haven't seen in almost three years, AND meet their new baby for the first time. :D Not to mention, this is the first time I have spent more than a few hours away from the kids since my son was born 6 1/2 years ago. I'm a stay at home mom, and I have a very kid-centered life. I take care of my friend's son while she works during the week, and all the neighborhood kids hang around the place, and the house is just always full of kids. I'm sure I don't need to say that I adore my children, but the thought of FOUR WHOLE DAYS with only myself to be responsible for, to do whatever the hell I want, appeals to me SO MUCH there are no words to describe it. It sounds better than sex while eating ice cream, lol.

LauraK wrote:Absorb it....and then head out for the meet and greet. :) Prepare to be dazzled. :prayer:

(Maybe write any questions you have on your hand...they sort of fly out of your brain when you're face-to-face, :lol:)

I hope they do a meet and greet. THAT'S the thing I'm trying not to get too worked up over. I don't want to be too disappointed if they don't come out.

Also, I am having a really hard time with what to say to them. Obviously there are tons of things I'd like to say, questions I'd like to ask, etc. but I probably only have a few minutes and I don't want to grill them. The real problem here is I have WAY too much time to have thought about this. I really don't want to have preconceived notions or a "script" in my head, so I'm trying desperately not to think too much about this, but of course that's impossible, lol.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:00 am

YAY @ holding up your phone so we can hoot and holler! If you're close enough and the guys heard it - they would say something, I'm sure they would. "What're you doing lady? Giving people free access to the show!?" :lol:

I would say as far as meet and greet goes...if it's warm, not raining and the hecklers aren't wildly out of control (and the guys don't pick up a nasty bug between now and then :pray:), the meet and greet will be on. It was kind of nice in Detroit because their buses were parked behind the theater in a fenced in type lot. And we were all lining the fence. So it was either meet with us or run us over :twisted:

AND LAURA IS RIGHT - you're going to forget EVERYTHING you want to say as soon as you see them...so just try to not dwell on Jemaine's beard or eyes or Bret's sweet disposition. Here are the things I wish I'd done: a.) Introduce myself, shake hands, come off as a normal human being and not a bumbling nervous idiot - b.) Ask Jemaine to write, "I miss you more" to combat Bret's "Oh Kelly I miss you" comment on my poster :lol: - c.) Thank them for coming out, tell them it was nice to meet them and that I hope it's not the last time!

But what do I say instead? "Maybe heartfelt - but not weird" :roll: :bang: :doh:

ANYWAY - above all - it's going to go SO FAST. It feels like they do TMD, sit down, do a song, and then it's over. It just FLIES. So...soak it up. Soak up everything.

Ahh the things I'll do differently next time around!

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri May 01, 2009 5:14 am

Exactly 2 weeks until Portland! :rock:

I'm taking a break from doing my boring school project to dream about the show..........

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Mon May 04, 2009 6:03 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:YAY @ holding up your phone so we can hoot and holler! If you're close enough and the guys heard it - they would say something, I'm sure they would. "What're you doing lady? Giving people free access to the show!?" :lol:

I would say as far as meet and greet goes...if it's warm, not raining and the hecklers aren't wildly out of control (and the guys don't pick up a nasty bug between now and then :pray:), the meet and greet will be on. It was kind of nice in Detroit because their buses were parked behind the theater in a fenced in type lot. And we were all lining the fence. So it was either meet with us or run us over :twisted:

AND LAURA IS RIGHT - you're going to forget EVERYTHING you want to say as soon as you see them...so just try to not dwell on Jemaine's beard or eyes or Bret's sweet disposition. Here are the things I wish I'd done: a.) Introduce myself, shake hands, come off as a normal human being and not a bumbling nervous idiot - b.) Ask Jemaine to write, "I miss you more" to combat Bret's "Oh Kelly I miss you" comment on my poster :lol: - c.) Thank them for coming out, tell them it was nice to meet them and that I hope it's not the last time!

But what do I say instead? "Maybe heartfelt - but not weird" :roll: :bang: :doh:

ANYWAY - above all - it's going to go SO FAST. It feels like they do TMD, sit down, do a song, and then it's over. It just FLIES. So...soak it up. Soak up everything.

Ahh the things I'll do differently next time around!

Kelly is ABSOLUTELY right about all of this! Let me just reiterate:
SOAK IT ALL IN!!!!!

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:38 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
LauraK wrote:Yep. I still canNOT believe I thought to do that for 1 song.....but no more. :( :wtf: was i thinking??

What we should've done is coordinated with each other. Michael and I could've done pictures and you could've gotten audio (since you were so close to Jemaine's speaker from what it sounds like)...or something like that.

:bang: Live and learn, eh?

Anyway, mockingbird, I'm so excited for you - I wish I could be there with you for the show - trust me, you have no idea how badly I wish that :lol:

Another thing I would suggest? Try not to get too excited for the show, because once it's over, the depression will smack you right in the face.

I just started reading this thread so forgive me if this is off track with what you are talking about but I know exactly what you mean Kelly.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed May 06, 2009 5:40 am

Mock - be sure to check out Voodoo Doughnut when in PDX. It's crazy awesome!

"The Magic is in The Hole"
http://voodoodoughnut.com/
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 06, 2009 3:38 pm

I wish we had a cool doughnut place like that.....voodoo doll doughnut? Triple chocolate penetration? Dirty doughnuts? :thumb:
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”