April 24- Detroit, MI. (8 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI. (8 pm)

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:25 am

Sherry wrote:I always figure what the Conchords use in their live sets are fair game for gig convo so generally don't hesitate to post stuff (nor do I moderate it out of posts), but as he was the only person who had said anything about it, I just wanted to confirm it via someone here who had seen it. Don't want to be posting about BJ's on the site if they really didn't talk about them in the set :lol: :oops:

Yep, we got a bit of absurd blow job repartee when the boys were in Toronto, although I think it was only on the first night (it could have been both, it's just gone a bit blurry).

Venus wrote:I've seen them talk like this thanks to youtube haha! It must be their accents, their sweet nature or something but they just get away with saying these risque things without anyone being offended.

Warning: Dirty talk :lol:
Taken at a show last year. I really wasn't expecting Bret to say that at the end. Hilarious though :rolls: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qShQu6gXbE

Ahhhh, the old finger-banging bit. Yes, I remember that one. :wink: I remember being faintly surprised the first time I heard that coming from Bret - it seemed like much more of a Jemaine-ism to me. But I love it when they can catch me unawares like that. Gorgeously silly.

And yet. For all their loveably smutty talk, it's still absolutely classic Conchords, you know? I love their low-key inversion of gender roles. With almost any other comedians, the sex talk would likely be all WAHEY! ALPHA MALE MISOGYNY DICK TIME! But with the Conchords, it's sort of gently befuddled and adorably, endearingly giving. Even their smuttiness is usually in the service of others:

"All the ladies in the world,
I wanna get next to you,
Show you some gratitude
By makin' love to you.
It's the least we can do..."

or:

"I'm like global warming, you can't ignore me,
In the bedroom, I'm the gentleman,
The ladies come before me."

Goal-oriented! Such a nice quality in a man! :yawinkle: I love that the boys are indelibly feminists in all the fairest and most generous ways. Bless. :hug:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 pm

I remember Eugene making a bj reference but the guys left it off for the 11 pm. Believe me, I don't think they're these prudish goody-goody boys....I just hadn't heard anything like that from them....yet. :twisted:

I love the first lines of I Told You I Was Freekie-

"I'm gonna take the month of August off....
just to get you off..."

Goal-oriented, indeed! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:53 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:I love their low-key inversion of gender roles. With almost any other comedians, the sex talk would likely be all WAHEY! ALPHA MALE MISOGYNY DICK TIME! But with the Conchords, it's sort of gently befuddled and adorably, endearingly giving.

Totally! :nod:

"I'm like global warming, you can't ignore me,
In the bedroom, I'm the gentleman,
The ladies come before me."

Goal-oriented! Such a nice quality in a man! :yawinkle: I love that the boys are indelibly feminists in all the fairest and most generous ways. Bless. :hug:

Hear, hear! :clap: :lol:

LauraK wrote:Believe me, I don't think they're these prudish goody-goody boys....

I guess you couldn't possibly - you only have to look as far as your signature to rid yourself of that idea. :wink: (edited to add - er, your previous signature that is.)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:01 pm

LauraK wrote:"I'm gonna take the month of August off....
just to get you off..."
Yup, that line lead me to make a comment on the myspace once. I couldn't resist the sauciness.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Did you ever hear back from Jemaine via the myspace, SW?

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:28 pm

:clap: I completely agree Turnip!

And ufotofu, yeah I saw a youtube clip of the boys mentioning that incident in Edinburgh at one of their shows a few weeks ago saying that the UK's definition of a spit roast is very different to what the audience may think :lol:

Haha and that situation with the guy singing during Carol Brown sounds really funny :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:45 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Did you ever hear back from Jemaine via the myspace, SW?
No I didn't email or message him privately (or whatever you call it on MySpace). I just put it in the comments. It wasn't anything for him to respond to. Though it was a question, just a cheeky one, not requiring an answer.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”