April 30th - St. Louis, Missouri

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Zoop
New arrival

April 30th - St. Louis, Missouri

Postby Zoop » Fri May 01, 2009 9:07 am

Hey everybody, I'm new here so I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries by creating the topic--if so, apologies. I certainly don't mean to step on any toes. Language is mostly clean, as per guidelines, with the exception of a punchline towards the end. Here's a summary I wrote for my Facebook page, which can be viewed by everyone: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=89588399240

As for Conchords without picture(s... adding the poster pic tomorrow after framing) and Eugene (who I'm quite the fan of, and would be lying if I said I went mainly for one act over the other--I love them both equally), here ya go:

Saw Flight of the Conchords at the Fabulous Fox in St. Louis tonight. Setlist, in no real order:

Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor
Hurt Feelings
Carol Brown
Stana
Think About It
Jenny
Mutha’uckers
Foux du Fafa
The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room
I Told You I Was Freaky
Bowie
We’re Both in Love with a Sexy Lady / Sugalumps (R&B version)

Encore:
Demon Woman
Robots

Great setlist. They might’ve squeaked one more in there that’s slipping my mind. Included my five favorite Conchords tunes (Carol Brown, Hurt Feelings, Foux du Fafa, Robots, and Jenny). There was tons of banter, as well, and Jemaine said he never kissed up to audiences while removing his hoodie to reveal a Cardinals shirt, which of course riled up the crowd. Based on reviews in other cities, however, it seems this doesn’t happen in any other city. Can anybody confirm this one way or another? If so, score one for Cardinal Nation? Awww yeaw.

I blew $240 on the event in total, between the tickets (great seats, second row off to the left behind the orchestra pit) and a bundle of merch including a tour shirt for me, a blue FOTC shirt for gal, Eugene’s book “The Will to Whatevs” (had been waiting to buy it at the show, since I wanted to get it signed), a Eugene Mirman commemorative plate with his face as a young child sprawled across it alongside the legendary quote “I’m gonna kick you so hard in the dick, you’re gonna *** fear” (I almost bought two but ran out of moolah), a Conchords magnet set, a sticker for the car and a concert poster.

As for the poster... Mine’s 194/300, though I’ve read certain cities have bigger or smaller print runs. I’ll post a pic of the poster once it’s framed and hanging. The St. Louis show’s poster has the rollerskates from the Ladies of the World music video with bright colors, including a magnetic eye-grabber in the silver streaks. Pretty rad. Very proud of myself that I managed to get home without damaging the poster or the plate. Should've had Eugene sign the poster, but I'm not one for pestering.

Great show, worth the $240 spent… Well, $270 after I frame the poster. Still a very memorable experience, though it makes me sad that we never see comedians come through town when there’s an obvious desire from the rest of the city for something progressive and edgy. Maybe I should open a real comedy venue here in town? I’ll call it the "Shits ‘n Giggles" or something similarly wonderful. Fun night, face hurts from laughing.

I didn't know the guys did meet and greets, so I didn't stick around after meeting Eugene. I feel pretty bummed about it, blah. Didn't bring my camera anyway since it said no cameras and I've had experiences in the past with this specific security crew stealing confiscated cameras. Boo. Still, I can't let the lack of meeting the guys hurt my feelings. I can't have hurt feelings tonight.

Also, I was the chubby guy with the poofy hair in the blue Decemberists shirt, if you happened to spot me. Hi.
Last edited by Zoop on Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: April 30th - St. Louis, Missouri

Postby Cuse » Fri May 01, 2009 9:12 am

Hi, welcome. :D

Yay for poster news! Who is the artist?

Facebook link no workies.

Cuse

Postby Cuse » Fri May 01, 2009 9:17 am

And I've wondered about that. If you're at a venue where they confiscate cameras, I'd imagine it would be so easy to have it stolen. Security tends to be such a-holes that if you went to a supervisor they'd probably just ignore you or show you the door. "The security guy with the mole on his face? There is no security guy who works here with a mole on his face." I can just picture it in my mind. :p

Zoop
New arrival

Postby Zoop » Fri May 01, 2009 9:21 am

Hopefully that fixed the link.

As for the artist, I'm terrible with reading signatures (which, if that Facebook link works, you can see how scrawled out my signature is as well). First initial is a D, while the last name could be an L or an F or an eagle.

As for the camera, I took it up with the venue owner and received $250 cash, $100 more than the camera was worth. Of course, my new camera is actually worth a lot more than that, so I didn't want to take chances. I was kicking myself once 500 flashes went off and no security came along during the show, though. Sigh.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Facebook link still no workies.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri May 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Jemaine posted a picture from last night's show on their myspace page. One of the comments said something about "Where's the bra?"

I think someone needs to fill us in on this :nod:

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Fri May 01, 2009 3:55 pm

Welcome! and thanks for posting about the show.
:D
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 01, 2009 4:06 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Jemaine posted a picture from last night's show on their myspace page.
I was actually a little bummed when I saw that pic coz they had a photographer onstage at Radio City (a couple of those are on MySpace as well but not the ones they posed for jumping in the air with their guitars like rock stars, I'm dying to see those) and I figured it was a such an iconic venue that they wanted to commemorate their time there. Doesn't seem so special if they are doing it other places too, oh well.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Well they didn't do it in Detroit so you can feel better about that I guess :lol:

I wish they did because I need another 8x10 for my collage. And so far I haven't found a single REALLY GOOD picture of the guys on stage from the show to get blown up. They're either blurry or their faces are "bleached out" from the lighting...It's really bumming me out.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Jemaine said he never kissed up to audiences while removing his hoodie to reveal a Cardinals shirt, which of course riled up the crowd. Based on reviews in other cities, however, it seems this doesn’t happen in any other city. Can anybody confirm this one way or another?

Here in Detroit he had on a Detroit: City of tomorrow T-shirt.......said when he's in LA, he'll wear an LA shirt, lol. (You can kind of see it in my signature pic)

Loved reading your write-up, your setlist sounded a lot like ours at the 11 pm show. :)

You got lots of great souvenirs...Looking forward to the poster pic. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Here's the pic from their MySpace page. Nice!!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=49531458
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Do you know how much I envy you three right now- SheWolf, KellySouthPaw and LauraK.

Take a look at your avatars. All three of you are wrapped in Jemaine's loving arms!!! We need an emoticon for fainting. Seriously.

You should post collectively on other threads more often.

ps- turnip just added me to facebook, so come and find me since I only really know you by your alias!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Fri May 01, 2009 7:08 pm

LauraK wrote:Here's the pic from their MySpace page. Nice!!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=49531458

That picture is awesome! If I was a rock star, that is exactly the kind of shot I would value the most... Not of me onstage, but something to remember the view from up there... all those faces smiling back at me at the same time!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm

For sure.....and not just smiling, but standing and cheering and whistling and Wooooooooo-ing :lol: It must be a great feeling. :)

prettyrobyngirl wrote:You should post collectively on other threads more often.

We should...it made me smile, too!

I expect more avatars like ours! SheWolf is the one who gets he credit. I don't know that I would have even thought to ask for a hug.....I'd have been too askeered.....but seeing her great swoony pic, I had to. :)
ImageImage

Zoop
New arrival

Postby Zoop » Fri May 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Boo. First reply got eaten.

As for the Facebook link, FB sucks. Tried for 4 hours to figure it out to no avail. Friend me on FB if you care to see: zoopnova@aol.com

The bra situation was funny. A pretty huge bra (looked like a DD to me, and I'm the international bra expert) was thrown on stage and Jemaine threw it out into the crowd, where it did the beach ball act between crowd members. "Hey, can you throw that back up here please? It's our only one," he commanded.

You can tell the guys long for an audience that understands the characters on Flight of the Conchords do not comprise the musical act. Every time season three or a "Where's Murray?" question was asked, Jemaine looked incredibly frustrated. He pulled the "Would you ask Harrison Ford where Darth Vader is?" joke, and mentioned that HBO plants a guy in every crowd to shout "Season three!" In my opinion, I don't see S3 happening due to this.

I think that's everything I wrote... The poster measures at 19x25, where will be a son of a gun to frame due to standard frame sizes being 18x24. Hmmm...

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”