April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

Postby songbird » Fri May 08, 2009 2:29 am

Ok, this could take a while, you'll have to put up with my descriptions...

So after the show, my sister and I were pretty much dying over how amazing the show had been. We knew that B and J had been doing meet and greets after the show, and we had been planning for weeks to go and wait by the stage door. We had also heard that the night before there hadn't been a meet and greet, so we were praying that there would be one on the second night.

We ended up getting amazing spots in line - on the side that was slightly further from the door but right in the front. We were also on the side of the door that when it opened, you couldn't see who was going to come out, so whenever the door opened, everyone on our side of the crowd would gasp in anticipation, only to be disappointed when it wasn't Bret or Jemaine. It was actually pretty funny :D Eventually, the door opened, and the other side of the crowd (the side that could see who was coming out of the door) all exclaimed "BRET!!" And lo and behold, out comes Bret, smiling happily, not hesitating at all and jumping right into the crowd to sign autographs and take pictures. You could tell he was in a bit of a hurry. He finally got to our side of the crowd after he finished with the other side, and I quickly thrust out a piece of paper and asked if me and my sister could have his autograph. He smiled (that SMILE!! AAH!!) and happily signed his autograph for us, and then when we asked if we could have a picture with him, he said "of course, I don't mind at all!" and he came right in between me and my sister, PUT HIS ARMS AROUND US (hyperventilation occurred) and took the picture with us. It was unbelievable!! We didn't really try to chat with him after that, we knew his family was in town that night and that he was in a hurry, and didn't want to hold him up. Maybe next time I'll get to talk to him more :)

About 20 minutes later, the door opened again, and out came Jemaine!! Who I must say is even more gorgeous in person. THOSE EYES!! After spending a very long time on the other side of the crowd (I was so happy to see that he wasn't leaving until absolutely everyone had pics and autographs - what a nice guy), he finally came over to our side, and came straight to me and my sister first. We asked for his autograph, and chatted a little bit with him as he signed it. He stood upright so we couldn't see what he was writing, and I said "oh, can't see what you're writing, is it a secret message?" jokingly of course. And Jem just looked right at me, SMILED THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SMILE IN THE WORLD, and said "hahaha, it's not really viry much of a missage!" I about died. Then we took a picture with him too, quite the same way that we did with Bret. I was in heaven! Right before Jemaine moved on, I turned to him and said "You and Bret were amazing tonight, I loved the show! Thank you SO MUCH, it was unbelievable!" and Jemaine smiled and said "Oh, it's no problem, I'm so glad you liked it!" and then he made his way, and me and my sister left on a cloud of euphoria.

So pretty much it was the greatest night ever. AND I finally got to tell Jemaine just how amazing and talented I thought he was!! I'd been waiting a really long time to do that.

And of course, as we were walking away and reading the autographs, I realized that Bret had signed his "songbird and sister: I miss you. Bret McKenzie." After which I died laughing because of course that is just so Bret! Jemaine signed his "to songbird and also to sister: love from, Jemaine". I always come home and just stare at them, barely able to believe that it actually happened. And I just can't even get over HOW NICE the guys were. You could tell that they were just genuinely warm people, and it made me SO HAPPY to know that the two guys I admire are truly as kind-hearted and generous as I'd hoped them to be.

Wow, that was extremely long. Hope I don't bore you all with my fantasy evening :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri May 08, 2009 2:38 am

songbird that's SO great! I'm so glad you were at a show where there was a meet and greet, and I'm also filled with the warm fuzzies reading your account of the guys. We really are a spoiled bunch having such great guys like Bret and Jemaine. I just want to hug them and thank them for being...them *big group hug smiley here*

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 am

:clap: Aren't they great?? *sigh* To do it again would be amazing.

Hey, your account isn't too long at all! You need to read some of ours, lol! Do we get to see the pics?? Please?! :D

Did you really have them sign to songbird and sister or are you protecting the names of the innocent? :yawinkle:

Sounds like another wonderful night thanks to the Conchords. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

songbird

Postby songbird » Fri May 08, 2009 3:10 am

Haha, glad you guys liked it!

My goodness, it's too true, we are just a spoiled bunch, aren't we? Bret and Jem are just too good to us, I don't know what we would do without them :D

No, they signed to our real names, I'm just not a huge fan of using my real name on the internet...

I'll show pictures as soon as i figure out how to post them here! Anybody care to explain?

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 08, 2009 5:17 am

If you host them at Photobucket or another net photo place just copy/paste the image code here...that's it! :)
ImageImage

SimplySonia
New arrival

Postby SimplySonia » Fri May 08, 2009 6:22 am

YAY songbird! I'm so glad you had such a great experience, and their autographs to you? Image How sweet! They seem to personalize all the time and I don't think I'll ever get over that.

Thanks so much for typing up your experience, I love reading fan stories!
*icon credit: photo by me, icon by JeanaMarie*

http://www.kellanmedia.com

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 am

Believe me, the stories don't get old, songbird. It was a pleasure to read your account of the evening. :nod:
Although I went to three shows this year, there was nary a meet and greet after any of them. :cry:
But a year ago I met the guys after the first show at Town Hall, and hearing everyone's stories this year reminds me of my own wonderful meeting, so post away!! We love it! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Fri May 08, 2009 2:28 pm

That was Beautiful, songbird! Truly beautiful..thanks for sharing :D
I was there too that night ..and what took place on that sidewalk was pure magic. They're adorable these guys (and Nigel)..thank you for letting me reminisce through your words.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks songbird. I'm not the kind to normally get gooey over anyone but B&J really did impress me. They are exceptionally kind and patient with their fans and meet and greets aren't the professional assembly lines I've witnessed elsewhere when the "celeb" goes through the motions so he/she can get into the bus. They are very good and genuine guys. Success can't spoil them.

Sonia, nice avatar.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Well this is from one of the massey hall shows I guess, tis my new desktop image. :prayer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimyokota/3511799496/
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri May 08, 2009 3:11 pm

:thud:

*rubs paddles together*

CLEAR!

*jump*

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 08, 2009 4:01 pm

tell me about it sista!
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Wow...she has some beautiful photos! I'm betting you already put that close-up of Bret over in his pic thread.... :D
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 am

Thanks for sharing those lovely photos Turnip :D

And thanks for your account songbird! Looking forward to hopefully seeing some pics too :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

songbird

Postby songbird » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm not currently hosting the pictures on any website...is there a way to just post the image here like I've seen in some other threads? Or do they have to be on a website for that too? I just have them stored on my own computer...
Sorry, I'm really not computer literate AT ALL...

Aww, I'm so glad you guys liked the story! It truly was one of the nicest nights, I get all excited just remembering it :D I don't think I'll ever get over how thankful I am to Bret and Jemaine for taking the time to do that. Truly awesome guys.

Image Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”