April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

Postby Amanda » Sun May 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Ok, ladies..and guys..I'm back from my month-long vacation and here's the first recap..you've probably read/seen it all about that night..(sorry, I haven't been able to catch up yet..) but these were my impressions:

It was 5pm when the cab driver rang our door. We had spent the last 2hours showering, trying different outfits on, laughing..if you’ve ever been a girl you get the picture.. We head to a restaurant across the street from Massey Hall where we met Miss Boo and PartTimeModel. Lovely ladies. Our dinner consisted of chocolate pies, cocktails and a lot of gushing...it was the perfect entrée for our fantastic evening. The time to pick up our will call tickets had come *cough*row C*cough*..and we went straight to the merch stand to discover that:
a) The poster for that night’s concert stated that Kristen Schaal was the guest comedian..and it also read 23rd of April as the date of the concert..they got the city right, though.. ¬¬’
b) The prices were in CAD but if you wanted to pay with credit card..”since the machine was American” they had to charge your account in USD with an exchange rate of 1:1..

I wouldn’t want to waste your time and eyes' health with boring details.. security walked me to my 3rd-row-4th-seat-in-from-the-left seat..I couldn’t believe how close to the stage I was..they might as well have pointed to the stage and say “here, young lady..you can take a seat right by them” :o ! I have to say Massey Hall is an amazing venue..perfect for the Conchords’ kind of show..very intimate and with great acoustics. I could discover that myself the second night… because one can easily enjoy a concert from row 3..but doing so from row 15, far right aisle is not something everyone can say. Back to the concert review..the room went dark and Jemaine’s deep, skin-crawling voice (not in a scary but in a sixy way..) came over the P.A. system to present comedian Eugene Mirman.
I had never seen anything Eugene had done and I didn’t know what to expect because he has quite a small part in the show..but he had me in stitches from minute one. Loooved the Delta story, Nancy..and what people may regard as surreal is, unfortunately very very real.. "class L stands for L..f*ck you" :roll2: ..so true, class L and about any other class..even the ridiculously expensive ones :shame on the airlines:

..and now THE FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS!! -eugene said-

Out came our guys..cod-pieces on..to the sound of “Too many dicks on the dance floor”.. the entrance even included a brief Jemaine’s cod-piece to stool humping..just like in the best SXSW times.. :waggle: After the song they introduced the band members..All two of them..and then continued with Hurt Feelings (people think we’re incredible..we’re credible! :rolls: ) and on to a new song they wrote a long time ago Staaaaaanaaa! I have to admit I barely understood the lyrics :oops: (but then of course English is not my first [nor my second] language..) but that’s what recording is for,right? To listen to it over and over again on your flight back..not that I did it. [yeah, I so did]. I can’t remember the exact set list after a week and a half but they played a lot of my favourites..I specially liked how during Jenny, when Jemaine is guessing the name of their “mutual friend”, he said Mandy..my heart skipped a beat there for a second..and also when he sang “We just looked out..across the city..we talked about how the lights from the buildings and the cars seemed like reflections of the stars..that shone out so beautiful and bright that night” the lights actually dimed along until everything was dark except for Jemaine and his guitar..while Nigel played a soft tune that went perfectly with J’s tone.. that was quite special..and Nigel’s performance adds a lot to the sound of the show.

Bibli had already warned me about Jemaine’s powerful gaze..while Bret seems to be looking at an imaginary tinker bell floating above the audience, Jemaine looks people in the eye..and boy, does he have one powerful gaze! Yum!! The concert went by rather fast and after 1H30 they thanked the audience and left..We were clapping our hands out after what had been an extraordinarily funny and well put gig.. They came back for an encore of 4 songs..which included Bus driver song, Bowie, Foux du fa fa and pencils in the wind.. if I’m not mistaken. They hadn’t played Foux du fa fa on this tour yet and Toronto seemed the perfect location to start speaking French..and I have to say both Bret and Monsieur Clement did an outstanding adlib piece.

It was my first Conchords’ concert ever..and to say it was absolutely fantastic does not do it justice..it was really phenomenal.. funny, sexy, witty.. and it sounded lovely. I also feel really lucky to have scored such a great seat.. being able to see their facial expressions up close is priceless. These guys..sigh.
We got out through the front door and went to look for the most feasible way for them to leave the venue from. There was a crowd of 100 people on the left side of the building..a tour bus with an American plate was parked there..so even though it was pretty chilly we waited up..there were a bunch of obnoxious teens waiting around too..so that was the reason we thought was keeping our guys inside.. we’d heard it had took close to 2H for them to come out on other venues and we were willing to wait. By midnight, there was only 7 of us waiting there..and at 12:30 it was only us 3 (Bibli, Turnip and myself) freezing our bums in the streets of Toronto next to what probably was a very empty building. We thought that if they were still inside, three lovely, very polite ladies weren’t keeping them from coming out.. at 1am we walked across the street, back to Fran’s to warm up and share pictures and impressions..
.more to come about the 2nd night on the 22nd April - Toronto thread.

PS. There’s been a bit of controversy about the hecklers..and I have to say there were almost none..so few you could tell the guys had to come up with more banter than they had probably expected because there really were not that many interruptions..and the cleverest thing a guy could come up with was yelling their hair looked greasy.. ¬¬ having been rather close to J and his hair :blush: I can say that not only is it very clean but it also smells great ..not that I had any doubts.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 03, 2009 5:21 pm

:clap: YAY! Amanda I've been waiting for so long for your recap - I can't wait to hear about your m&g experience on the other thread :)

And I definitely know what you mean about Jemaine making eye contact during the show - he does and it's POWERFUL. I could barely muster a smile and nod when it happened to me (a few times throughout the second show, maybe once during the first show). Enough to stop a heart, I'm telling ya.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 03, 2009 5:34 pm

:clap: Yay, Amanda! Loved your description of Jenny, especially of the light-dimming part- I think they did that here, too. Ahhh, saying Mandy- for you. (That's how I'd look at it!)
So, are you saying you have audio of the whole show? care to share? I will pay you money..... :pray:

I got eye contact with Jemaine once during the show from the stage and once during Sugalumps, which about stopped my heart. He's pointing at all the ladies and when it was my turn I just stared like a deer in the headlights and nodded..."yis, I am checking out your sugalumps..." :shock:
I'm sure that's the look on most of our faces, lol.

Sooooooo lookiong forward to your tale of the meet & greet and pics of same!! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sun May 03, 2009 7:18 pm

YAYAYAYAYAY! Thank you SO MUCH Amanda for the recap. It was truly awesome. :D
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon May 04, 2009 1:41 am

Ooh thanks Amanda for your recap! That's so cool knowing that Jemaine stares right into the eyes of people in the audience :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 04, 2009 3:31 am

Venus wrote:Ooh thanks Amanda for your recap! That's so cool knowing that Jemaine stares right into the eyes of people in the audience :D

I'm not sure about you, Amanda - or anyone else who has had this happen to them, but when he and I first caught eyes I wasn't really sure wtf he was doing :lol: I was thinking, "Wait, he's looking at me - why? Am I making a goofy face without realizing it? Do I have some sort of...freak...scar that only appears in the dim shadows of a theater?"

Then I realized that I had sunglasses on my head. Duh. The lights were probably reflecting off of them and bringing attention to myself. He wasn't looking at me like a freak or anything, it was just a really intense gaze - like ardy said in the Detroit thread, like he was trying to remember you. If he'd held it much longer I would've needed a defibrillator...

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Mon May 04, 2009 5:24 am

He definitely looked at me when I said "Play whatever you want". It was awesome to get his attention like that, although for the life of me I don't remember what song they played after that because he kept looking at me as they played and I was all like "did that really just happen in front of 5,000 people???"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 04, 2009 2:56 pm

He made eye contact with me. He's a well known eye contact maker whereas Bret just sort of stares into space.
90% evil
ImageImage

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Fri May 08, 2009 6:09 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Venus wrote:Ooh thanks Amanda for your recap! That's so cool knowing that Jemaine stares right into the eyes of people in the audience :D

I'm not sure about you, Amanda - or anyone else who has had this happen to them, but when he and I first caught eyes I wasn't really sure wtf he was doing :lol: I was thinking, "Wait, he's looking at me - why? Am I making a goofy face without realizing it? Do I have some sort of...freak...scar that only appears in the dim shadows of a theater?"

Then I realized that I had sunglasses on my head. Duh. The lights were probably reflecting off of them and bringing attention to myself. He wasn't looking at me like a freak or anything, it was just a really intense gaze - like ardy said in the Detroit thread, like he was trying to remember you. If he'd held it much longer I would've needed a defibrillator...

Sunglasses! Why didn't I think about that before?! :lol: ..anyway, Kelly..I was indeed struck by gazing when Jemaine looked at me with his gorgeous green eyes.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri May 08, 2009 6:29 pm

:lol: Probably because most normal people don't think about wearing sunglasses into a dark theater! BUT, it was REALLY sunny that day, and I wore them on the drive to the theater, and then on the *very short* walk across the street to the theater. I didn't even think about leaving them in the car. They're my favorite pair and I didn't want them stolen, and I just put them on my head without thinking. Then when I realized I had them on and that's probably what caught Jem's attention I was like :bang: D'oh! Only an idiot wears sunglasses into a dark theater...he probably thinks I'm a goof now...

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”