May 7- Austin, Texas

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: May 7- Austin, Texas

Postby Venus » Sat May 09, 2009 3:38 am

Conchords sell out seats, not style

There’s a reason why Flight of the Conchords sold out last night’s performance at Bass Concert Hall — with nearly 3,000 seats at $38.50 a piece ­— in only 10 minutes. They’re simply hilarious.

Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, who have billed themselves as “New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella-rap-funk-comedy folk duo,” have built up a huge cult following in their 11-year career as Flight of the Conchords.

In the summer of 2007, they premiered a self-titled HBO series, which has since amassed tons of fans and critical acclaim. This led to a record deal with indie giant Sub Pop Records, which has since put out multiple releases featuring songs from the TV show, including a Grammy-winning EP and a certified-Platinum full-length album.

The performance had a good mix of songs ranging from the classics to brand new tracks.

Although they’re exponentially more famous than the past times they’ve been through Austin (South by Southwest 2006, when they were generally unknown to the larger public), they still maintain their trademark awkwardness, humility and the general sense that they’re just nice guys with a knack for great comedic song-writing.

Oldies “Jenny” and “Hip-Hopopotamus vs. The Rhymenoceros” were crowd favorites, and the audience went absolutely nuts (no pun intended) during “SugaLumps,” a ballad about the guys’ testicles, when they stepped down into the audience to very subtly serenade … the ladies.

Comedian Eugene Mirman, who plays Bret and Jemaine’s landlord in the series, opened the show. Mirman is well known for performing in musical settings, having toured with bands such as The Shins, Modest Mouse and Yo La Tengo. His routine was hilarious, especially when he riffed on Delta Airlines, which he hates for having once “lost and destroyed” his luggage. He read aloud an angry letter he once wrote the company in which he commented that “flying with Delta is like hiring an insincere baby with amnesia to solve a crime IT committed!”

On their show, Flight of the Conchords play a hapless, broke version of themselves who can hardly get a gig anywhere other than places such as public libraries, aquariums and elevators.

Although this is hardly the case in real life, and they did not present themselves as their characters, it was hard at times to figure out if they were there to promote their show or their music.

By this point they’re nearly one in the same, and the Conchords’ name has turned into a multifaceted franchise generating buzz from every angle. If anything, this non-distinction, where the familiarity with the material meets the theatrics of the performance, greatly enhanced the experience.

All in all, the performance, although predictable, was an extremely entertaining way to spend an evening, especially at the gorgeous, newly renovated Bass Concert Hall. The group may only be New Zealand’s fourth most popular folk parody duo, but in Austin, they’re definitely No. 1.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 09, 2009 4:48 am

:clap:
Much better....more in line with the fans' way of thinking, that's for sure! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 09, 2009 4:54 am

When people give reviews like that first one I just have to laugh when they give these harsh reviews but add how much they love and enjoyed Business Time. :roll: I often wonder if some people go just to hear that song. Lame.

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sat May 09, 2009 2:30 pm

FYI, the guy who wrote the less than enthusiastic review is the same guy who wrote the Austin American Statesman article that I posted earlier in the week. In his defense, I think that he wrote from the perspective of someone who is only casually familiar with FOTC. But I've noticed with some of his other reviews and articles, he often comes across as cranky :lol: . I guess that his expectations of their live show didn't match up with his impressions of the songs and the TV show.
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat May 09, 2009 2:56 pm

awwww yeah this is it!

Jem's pooch is gone(he must have been bloated the other night) Nice abs Jem. :thumb:

taken from this collection of great pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grittypix/ ... 721701577/
90% evil
ImageImage

SimplySonia
New arrival

Postby SimplySonia » Sat May 09, 2009 8:42 pm

I love that cherry red V shaped guitar. :rock:

Those gold spandex pants are ... really something :shock: :lol:
*icon credit: photo by me, icon by JeanaMarie*

http://www.kellanmedia.com

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Sun May 10, 2009 8:04 am

The socks with the outfit are too funny! They do match the shrug thingy though! Loving the zebra coat! :roll2:
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun May 10, 2009 11:11 pm

This photo is now my desktop.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:36 am

So TV, Poptart, did you folks go?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Of course I went, I'm just too lazy to write a review. :P :lol:
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon May 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Venus wrote:*sigh*

Concert Review: Flight of the Conchords

Well, that was a rather underwhelming hour and 40 minutes, as Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie took their 1,000-capacity act to the 3,000-seat Bass Concert Hall Thursday night. Because of a hit show on HBO, Flight of the Conchords have inspired a growing cult audience of college-aged kids, but it was evident at the sold out show that they’ve skipped a few steps up the ladder of stagemanship. This was a crowd with a big crush, but FOTC couldn’t deliver beyond a few charming adlib moments.
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Comedian Eugene Mirman, who has a small recurring role in “Flight of the Conchords,” opened the show with a too loud set that hinged on an angry letter he wrote to Delta Airlines. They may have lost his luggage, but they gave him a funny bit.

Source

I've edited this review..no one needs to read more of it! But my favorite response to this review on the site is this-
Too loud! Not funny! Something about my lawn and how you should stay off it! College kids! Fist shake!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Mon May 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Ok, I understand that Eugene is no Jemaine or Bret in the looks department, he is one very funny man. IOne of his best bits was describing a child that was at one of his book readings who yelled out "Why is everyone looking at him. It's because he is funny." then the best line every "Why does he not accept me as his God?" (Turns out the 12 y/o child has Asperger's Syndrome.) Eugene then said "the funny part is- I do accept him!!" Then he added that maybe God has Asperger's and that would answer so many questions about religions. So, you may have to actually here him tell the story but it is very funny!

Now, it's finally time for the Conchords. I'm not one to take notes of every song and movement. I'm sure with little exception, things change too much city to city. Different song lineup/chatter etc.. I'm just going to give you what my highlights are.

Now about the music- From some of the pictures I saw, I wasn't sure about the Dicks on the dancefloor/robot costumes. They seemed a bit cheesy but in person, it worked great. I was pleased that they played the Bus Driver song and they sounded great. Hurt Feelings was also played really well live. My favorite song was Foux de fafa, so so funny! I did like the slow R&B styling of Sugarlumps, especially when Bret came to the front of the stage and did his best slow jam dancing. He means well but is just a white boy after all. I thought Devil Woman was ok, but since I had already seen the outfits, the surprise was lost and that was big part.

As for the crowd, I have to say that I was very please with the lack of heckling. (what was annoying was that a large portion of the crowd waited until they came on before going to their seats. Then kept getting up to get more drinks.) It wasn't heckle free but nothing annoying at all. A couple from the upper deck yelled out "I love you", Jemaine quiped right back something cute(for some reason I can't remember) Just as Bret was getting behind the drums, someone yelled "Take off your shirts!". Jemaine fained being flustered but Bret took his off. Of course, he had a t-shirt on underneath. A several times, people threw t-shirts up on stage for the guys. The first one, Jemaine picks up and says "Oh look, a t-shirt with me on it. I can't wait to wear it", then acts out pointing at the shirt-then his face. "I love wearing shirts with a picture of myself on it". Later on in the show, someone throws another one up. Before even looking at it, he started questioning up why does the crowd keep giving them t-shirts with themselves on it. He told everyone to throw their tops up on stage, but only one guy did. Good try though. Then chastised us "Your suppose to throw underwear, not t-shirts!" My favorite was when they asked what song should we do and the songs titles started flying! Jemaine has the perfect responses, my fav was "I don't think we do that one". Then he said "I'm sure there are lots here that wish these people would be quiet" *loud applause* "But this is my favorite part of the show". Go figure! They had talked about going to see Snoop Dog the night before in Houston. Someone asked if they smoked pot. Jemaine said that if they answered that would incriminate themselves and gave a real big smile. I missed some of the talk but then he said "We did passively" Later on, when Bret introduced Business Time, he cracked himself up by trying to do it like Snoop Dog. I don't get the reference, but he quite enjoyed himself which made me smile!

I have been lucky enough to have seen them at small venues in the past. To compare their shows then to now would not be favorable. I think that do to the size of the theater/crowds and the long tour, FOTC loses something in translation. Their innocence seems to have been lost somewhere down the way. This is just my humble opinion.

After the show, we did go out to see if we could see the guys. To my amazement, the people waiting were in line. We stood around for a while, even after we were told the guys have already left. We did spot Eugene but ended up leaving after about 15-20 min. I would not be surprised if they had left early. Sounds like they are just exiting fast to avoid the massive crowds and late night m&g. Or, like in Houston, they had plans for the evening(the show was over by 1015-1030pm) and didn't want to get stuck there all night.

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm

I posted on this thread the other day:

Austin TX - 5/7 show- under Gigs. Sorry.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 12, 2009 5:00 am

I guess I'm a little disappointed that Demon Woman has become all about costumes instead of the terrific vocals they did in NY and Boston. TV, didn't you think it was vocally well done? They really wailed on it each time I saw them do it. Granted, it's not my favorite song of theirs, but it showed off their range so well, and Jemaine playing drums was priceless.

ps Eugene did a few minutes of standup before Kristen in Boston, and his big blue eyes on the Jumbotron were gorgeous!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue May 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Actually, I think Devil Woman is kinda silly song to begin with. To tell the truth, it seemed like the song was just an excuse for them to dress up in spandex. Jemaine was too busy throwing drumsticks to actually play.

It just seems like they are jumping the shark with some of the songs with extra "production". It's usually very low budget extras, but still it just makes it all look cheap, not ironic. My favorite songs were the one without all the gimmicks. They are obviously taking advice to make things bigger for the larger venues. They should just keep it simple and focus on what they do best.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”