May 12 - Seattle

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
SheWolf
Boom King!

May 12 - Seattle

Postby SheWolf » Wed May 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Am I right in thinking there is no thread for this show? Well I'll start one just so I can post this. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glP68NLW78U
90% evil
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Seattle 5-12

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 pm

:prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

THANK YOU SHEWOLF!!!!!!

And thanks to the person who had the joy of shooting that... :shock:
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 pm

:clap: That video is making good circulation on the board. It's also posted in two other threads. But I see no reason why it can't be posted again.

Jemaine, you don't know what you're doing to me!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SimplySonia
New arrival

Postby SimplySonia » Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 am

*gasp*

OMG, Bret's beard woven of heartache is gone! :shock:

And it's hilarious how they are both RIGHT THERE at about 55 seconds in. Having to choose which to shoot would be terrible :lol:

TY for sharing this! It's added to my FotC YT Playlist.
*icon credit: photo by me, icon by JeanaMarie*

http://www.kellanmedia.com

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Thu May 14, 2009 12:15 am

conchordsnetRT @kevinseattle: Highlight from Conchords show was watching the sign language translator translate "Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor"!

Saw this on Twitter..does anyone know anything about this?
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu May 14, 2009 12:31 am

I dabble in sign language...I can somewhat imagine how that looked :lol:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 am

Arj Barker linked a photo of them on his twitter page.

http://twitter.com/arjbarker
Last edited by vmh on Thu May 14, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu May 14, 2009 12:37 am

Amanda wrote:
conchordsnetRT @kevinseattle: Highlight from Conchords show was watching the sign language translator translate "Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor"!

Saw this on Twitter..does anyone know anything about this?

That must have been interesting! :lol:

And that video of Sugalumps is amazing in so many ways! If I was in that situation, I probably wouldn't have been able to hold the camera steady or dropped it so props to that girl filming it :clap:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 14, 2009 12:41 am

I know. I couldn't even take pics of Jemaine when I was in the 2nd row and he was near the edge of the stage coz my camera had been on zoom and I needed to unzoom it and I was just fumbling so I decided to forget it and just immortalize the image with my eyes. But see, that's why you need to bring a guy with you to the first row - to film the moment Jemaine sticks his ass in your face.
90% evil
ImageImage

AEW21
Lost but happy at sea

Postby AEW21 » Thu May 14, 2009 2:14 am

Can't we pass a law of some kind that states Jemaine is the only one allowed to wear buttondown shirts, low-slung jeans and festive belt buckles? Yum.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 am

So last night's show had a slightly different vibe from Monday night's show. Still a lot of energy and the guys were on fire, but security was way less uptight and completely allowed photography (so long as there wasn't a flash, and no video), so we got LOADS of pics. I still have to go through them weed out the blurry ones and upload, but I'll post them as soon as I can.

First thing we noticed was a spotlight shining on the right of the stage, down in front of the seats. When Arj came up on stage, that's when we realized the light was for an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter, who was signing to that area of the audience. There were actually two interpreters, who switched off during Arj’s routine, and then when the guys came on stage, each interpreted Bret and Jemaine respectively. It was very cool to watch the signing - and made for some very funny banter from both the guys and Arj.

Arj changed up his routine. I guess I was expecting it to be pretty much the same material night after night, as stand-up can kinda be that way - but he totally added some new stuff. There was a hilarious bit where he talked about his insurance provider, Blue Shield, and how if it were a REAL blue shield and only kicked in after it suffered a multiple blows, people would be pretty outraged. Then he reworked a mattress store joke from the previous night, adding a really hilarious bit where he spoke in a "Canadian accent”, saying that Canadians didn't get that joke (about feeling sad and alone when going to sleep), as they have universal health care. It took him a few minutes to notice the ASL interpreter, but when he did, he made a joke about wanting to get with her and then when they switched to the other interpreter, he was confused, "where'd she go?". Every once in a while, he'd look over at the interpreters and say, "just checking to see if you were laughing" (they totally were).

First off, Bret totally shaved the beard! He has a hint of a moustache. I think it's cute, Sara thinks it's a tiny bit skeevy, but you know, he looks adorable no matter what his facial hair sitch is. Jemaine, on the other hand is still quite scruffy and both guys had pretty unkempt hair, like they just rolled outta bed and came on stage. Jemaine wore the same shirt from Vancouver, jeans, and white sneakers. Bret wore a button-down shirt over a tee, which appeared to have a zebra on it? We'll post pics soon. Also, no zebra or gold pants during encore – they just kept on their same clothes.

The Seattle crowd was really well-behaved again – even better than Monday night – no heckling or any of that. (Yay for polite PacNW’sters!)

During Stana, the part where Jemaine says “this are the weirdest words you’ve ever heard if you've got ears, and if you don’t have ears, it’s the strangest story you’ve ever lip-read” he added, “this was actually part of the song, we didn’t change it for tonight” as he looked over at the ASL interpreters, chuckling.

During the banter after that, Jemaine quipped, “this next part of the show will be in New Zealand’s native language, Maori.” He cracked up and that got a big laugh from the interpreters and the audience.

At one point, Bret asked how many people had seen them live before. Those of us who had, cheered. And then Jemaine said “all of you?” And then Bret asked how many hadn’t seen them live before. Bigger cheer. Jemaine said, “Where were you when we needed you? This is our fourth time here. Where were you during Bumbershoot 2005?” The audience cheered and laughed.

During the beginning banter, Jemaine made a joke about how everyone in the audience must work for Microsoft (since it was Seattle), and those that didn’t were members of Pearl Jam. They kept referring to their set list as a “document” for the Microsoft workers, and called it a “set list” for the Pearl Jam members of the audience (since they were “in the biz”). Jemaine impersonated the Pearl Jam members of the audience while speaking in a southern accent, and then laughed about how he didn’t know why they had a southern accent.

The other thing that kind of ran through the whole show’s banter was when people yelled out requests, Jemaine said “we’ve already discussed it backstage, it has been prophesized” – he talked about a pharaoh who was backstage (and talked in a deep southern-tinged voice), and Bret played along but instead of saying pharaoh, he said genie by mistake, so Jemaine made a joke about how the pharaoh can turn into a genie.

We can’t exactly remember who it was in reference to, but at some point, Jemaine asked the ASL interpreters the sign for “asshole” and then proceeded to use his newly learned sign toward a heckler. I'm fairly certain one of us got a shot of Jemaine signing asshole.

During Sugalumps, Jemaine got right down into the orchestra pit and then two security guards (slowly) walked toward him to “help him” and Jemaine kind of hoisted himself back on stage and quipped “thanks for your help... she was attacking my sugalumps” or something to that extent. We also got Rhymenoceros for one of the encores.

I didn't stick around after the show to see if the guys came out. It was awesome meeting them on Sunday, so I'm happy to leave it at that. Wish I could have stuck around to see tonight’s Seattle show too, but I had to get Sara back to the airport, and I have to work tomorrow.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Thu May 14, 2009 4:04 am

SheWolf wrote:Am I right in thinking there is no thread for this show? Well I'll start one just so I can post this. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glP68NLW78U

Oh wow!! I was in the 8th row and it was pretty intense, but that vid? Whoa! :shock:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 am

:clap: Dandy, that show sounded amazing! Great job on remembering all of the banter for us- thanks!
I really want to see the asshole sign, :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 am

Sounds like the show was great!

I have watched that video countless times, and it never ceases to amazing me :rolleyes: do these guys even realize how much they KILL ME when they do stuff like that?!
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Ummm going to retitle this as us non American types don't use the same dating system and to me it reads as December 5 :rolleyes:

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”