May 12 - Seattle

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Re: Seattle 5-12

Postby dandy lyons » Thu May 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Sherry wrote:Ummm going to retitle this as us non American types don't use the same dating system and to me it reads as December 5 :rolleyes:

Ahaha! I did the same thing! Thanks! ;)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: May 12 - Seattle

Postby Venus » Thu May 14, 2009 4:02 pm

:clap: Thanks so much for the recap dandy. The ASL interpreters must have been a great addition to the show. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 14, 2009 5:35 pm

Not trying to sound insensitive, but why were they there? Is that the norm for that venue as a courtesy for anyone hearing impaired? Or did there happen to be a group or a person who requested ASL interpreters?
That's pretty darn cool. 8) And they obviously had a good time themselves!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 15, 2009 1:55 pm

LauraK wrote:Not trying to sound insensitive, but why were they there? Is that the norm for that venue as a courtesy for anyone hearing impaired? Or did there happen to be a group or a person who requested ASL interpreters?
That's pretty darn cool. 8) And they obviously had a good time themselves!
I was wondering that as well.
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri May 15, 2009 2:04 pm

It's a service that the venue offers. The Paramount Theatre occasionally has ASL and OC interpreted shows. They also have people request them.

They even have a list for upcoming shows: http://www.theparamount.com/patron/accessibility.asp
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks. That's cool.
90% evil
ImageImage

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Re: Seattle 5-12

Postby ardy » Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 pm

excellent review and YAY for the pearl jam reference!!

luv these guys!
luv those guys!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

monsterinlove
New arrival

Postby monsterinlove » Fri May 15, 2009 5:35 pm

wow! sounds like a really sweet concert! Thanks for all the accounts! Dandy, would you mind telling me anything else you found that differed from the previous show in Vancouver? Length of the concert, songs, overall crowd energy, meet and greet stuff. Sorry if you already mentioned some of this before. Just curious! :D
"You love the talking stove!
'Aww let's make a cake!"

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri May 15, 2009 8:47 pm

This was posted on LastFM on the Conchords page

They Came, They Saw, They Conchord! May 13th 2009, Seattle

14 May 2009, 20:40
Wed 13 May – Flight of the Conchords, Arj Barker

Last night, May 13th 2009, Flight of the Conchords, along with Arj Barker ended their 3 nights of sold out shows in Seattle, WA.

Wednesday's show, started off at around 7:45pm-8pm. Arj Barker came out, and did about 30 minutes of hilariously low key obscure stoner comedy he is know for. There was no pause in between, as he introduced FotC! They kicked off with "Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor", in robogear, with Arj singing his parts from the HBO episode with the said track.. The exact set list I do not recall, as I had a 'real good time" ;) There was lots of lots of "Banter" between songs. Lots. Very funny stuff....They played (in no particular order) Jenny, Robots, a smooth jazzy funk version of Mutha'uckas with Bret on the drums. There was also a guy playing the cello on a few songs. He was introduced as Nigel. Yes, somebody did yell out "Freebird", and Bret went right into it, and they did a great/short version (with harmonies ;) They played Business Time, Think About It Think Think About It, The Most Beautiful Girl (in the Room), I'm Not Crying, Sugar Lumps (this one brought the house down) Hurt Feelings, the new track from season2, episode6, about "We fell both for a sexy lady, with a dog who's missing and an eye that's lazy..." THAT song ;) They also played a couple of new? songs, I did not recognize. They played for about 80-90 minutes. It was an very very fun show, great banter, great crowd, and Jemaine was quick to handle potential wannabees who kept shouting.

There were a few songs I really wished that they'd play, but didn't. For ex: they DID NOT play some of their classics, like Rhymenoceros vs..., Bowie, Inner City Pressure, BOOM (I really wanted to hear the Casio digi20)...no Pencils (Sellotape) or Albi...but otherwise, a fantastic show!

They played one song for an encore, after a quick costume change...Jemaine had these gold shiny pants...I was hoping for Bowie, but alas, no :\ It was a real short encore.

Source

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sat May 16, 2009 4:28 am

monsterinlove wrote:wow! sounds like a really sweet concert! Thanks for all the accounts! Dandy, would you mind telling me anything else you found that differed from the previous show in Vancouver? Length of the concert, songs, overall crowd energy, meet and greet stuff. Sorry if you already mentioned some of this before. Just curious! :D

No worries. All the shows were awesome, and there weren't too many differences. The acoustics in Vancouver were great... Seattle - not so much. The crowd in Seattle was definitely more energetic and it seemed like the guys were a bit more lively. The crowd shouted out a bit more, but generally just song requests - no specific heckling that I can recall. The concerts seemed to run about the same length although I think it was Tuesday that we got 2 maybe 3 encore songs. Umm... Glam rock gears on Monday, but not Tuesday. Monday, the lobby was PACKED - everyone seemed to be there early. Tuesday it seemed like hardly anyone was there. Also they were WAY more relaxed about taking photos. Speaking of which, Sara uploaded her photos from all three shows on flickr, including the "asshole" sign language. Here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saramarie/ ... 123134711/

and here's the asshole :lol:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 16, 2009 6:10 am

Ok, I understand something now.....Bret with beard is not attractive to me. Bret with just a light shadow? Adorable. :)

Thanks for the extra info, Dandy. :) Thank you, too, Sara- Great Pics!! Love the ones of Jemaine- great expressions you caught him in! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sat May 16, 2009 11:30 pm

Ok, finally uploaded my pics. Here are some of the best ones:

(this one cracks me up!)

The rest are on my flickr account if you're interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dandy_lyon ... 226291176/

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sat May 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Those are great!! I love Jem's expression in that last one... :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Sun May 17, 2009 12:38 am

4th one down....
"...i'm a little teapot short and stout, here is my handle, here is my spout..."
nice spout, jemaine :rolls:
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun May 17, 2009 1:06 am

LauraK wrote:Ok, I understand something now.....Bret with beard is not attractive to me. Bret with just a light shadow? Adorable. :)
Ditto that but that's how I feel about most men, always more attracted with a at least a hint of beard.

Great pix Dandy, particularly love the last one of Jemaine too.

God Nigel's hair is fantastic!
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”