May 16 - Red Rocks

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

Re: Red Rocks- May 16~ Anyone going? :)

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 17, 2009 3:11 pm

I heard from someone who waited as long as was allowed - and there was no meet and greet with Bret and Jemaine - though Nigel and Arj did one

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Here's the pic of Arj's cave-dressing-room:
http://twitpic.com/5bove

I didn't see the bird-flipping one but heard about it- 8)

Sounds like an amazing experience....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Sun May 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Anyone notice if there was Iron & Wine merch? Just curious 'cause I'm seeing him tomorrow.

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sun May 17, 2009 7:15 pm

I just had waayy too much fun looking throught Arj's myspace photos from his shows. I particularly enjoyed these two...
LOVE LOVE LOVE Bret's shirt in that second one :)
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

dustdevil
New arrival

Postby dustdevil » Mon May 18, 2009 12:40 am

Hi there, here's a slightly more detailed breakdown of the night. I've tried not to watch many video clips of previous shows, just so I could be "unspoilered" for the concert, and I'm not sure what was unique to this show or not, so I'll just jot down some stuff.

Iron & Wine- I had only listened to a few songs online, but the songs were beautiful and he did a great job. (My friend got very excited when she realized he sings one of the songs on the Twilight soundtrack.) I didn't see any merchandise at the main booth. I was sort of hoping he might come out and play a song with the Conchords, but no such luck. I'll probably download a few songs, so Subpop, your promotional plan worked!

Arj - Hilarious. His act was actually a little more clean than I'd anticipated - I'm not sure why I thought that. Loved the bits about fonts (Sarcastica, Gotohelvetica, and Good Times Roman) and "snakes are just as afraid of you as you are of them." He seemed pretty psyched to be playing to a large crowd, and made a comment at the beginning about how "They made a mistake d*&king around with 2000 and 3000 seat venues, and now they realized they should only play 9000 seat places." He did an amazing job of filling the space, and there were lots of people in the crowd dressed as "Dave." Hee - possibly the easiest Conchord costume, just tie a bandana around your head.

Conchords - A few funny things:
-someone in the front had a sign that said "South African + Kiwi = Beautiful Babies." When they put the lights up on the crowd, Bret read it out loud and they joked that yeah, it might be interesting to give it a try, that it would be a good enough reason to have a child, just to see if her hypothesis would prove to be correct.
-there's a railing between the stage and the first rows, and during Sugalumps they had to climb up on the railing to dance, which made it awkward and hilarious. At one point Bret had to put his hand on the head of the security guard to balance on the rail.
-the fog machine was going full force, not sure if that showed up in the webcam.
-the crowd was very fun, lots of singing along. The sound system/acoustics are good, and you're outside, so it's not annoying, just sort of like being at camp.
-The crowd was standing up for the first 4-5 songs, and then after they put the lights up and commented about how they were "terrified" of the crowd, they told us it was ok to sit down.
-Bret's awesome Western Shirt- Bret was wearing a jacket most of the show, but during the encore, he had just that shirt on, and I immediately thought "I bet that's a Rockmount shirt!" Rockmount Ranchwear is a company in Denver that makes these amazing and expensive Western shirts (Someday, when I need to dress up for something, I'm going to drop some change and buy one.) Anyway, I checked out the website for Rockmount http://www.rockmount.com/shirts/vintage.asp, and if you scroll/search on the page for "Paniolo" that looks like the shirt Bret was wearing. ("Paniolo" is the Hawaiian slang term for cowboy, and that patterns sort of inspired by Hawaiian quilts, so there's a fun little Polynesian connection, there.) Although it's good to know that Bret could also sit in with "Lobo IV" if needed!

Overall impression- since we were in the back, we couldn't really pick up on facial expressions, gestures, etc, which are part of the charm of Conchords low-key comedy. But, IMO, what really registered in the large venue was just how good Conchords are musically. The songs sounded amazing, and it occurred to me that the arrangements for most of the songs that were featured on the show had been significantly altered for the live show. The tv show obviously has some pretty complex mixes of the songs, and even last year on the tour it seemed like they relied a bit more on some fun bells and whistles, like the little instruments, and turn tables. This go round, it seems like they are relying a lot more on vocal arrangements and the basics instrumentation of the guitars, cello, and drums. (I know it's been said many times, but Nigel was freaking awesome!) They did an amazing job of filling a really large space with music. When I've watched/listened to them before, usually my reaction to the songs are "this is hysterical, oh and the music is pretty good, too." At the end of this concert, my overall impression was "wow, the music and playing was really great, and it was funny." (E.g. when they played "Stana" and the acoustic "Sugalumps" there were several points when I was definitely focusing more on the melodies and playing/singing than on the lyrics or the dancing.)

Favorite moment of the night for me: If you watched it on the webcam, you can see that the seats at Red Rocks look out over the city of Denver. They sang "Jenny", and I love, love, love the section of "We just looked out' across the city from our little spot on the hilltop. Oh, It is so pretty from way up there. We talked about how the lights from the buildings and cars seemed like reflections of the stars that shined out so pretty and bright, that night." (Beyond the comedic context, I just think it's a truly pretty piece of songwriting.) So listening to that line, while looking out at the lights of the buildings and cars, and looking up to see the stars... way cool!

Songs that I remember, but in no particular order:
Too Many Dicks
Epileptic Dogs
Business Time (Matt played drums)
Most Beautiful Girl (this was one of the moments that the music sounded amazing)
Epileptic Dogs
Jenny
Bus Drivers Song (hoooray!-- my favorite Conchords song, and I loved Jemaine and Nigel harmonizing on some of the parts)
Think About It
In Love With the Same Lady (can't remember the exact title) into Sugalumps
Carol Brown
Hurt Feelings
H & R (again, another one where I was totally blown away by how strong it came across with just the vocals and guitars.)
Hurt Feelings
*utha*uckas (I'm told, this is when I had to make a mad dash to the bathroom.)
I'm Not Crying
Albi
Robots
Stana
the other new one

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Mon May 18, 2009 12:49 am

wow. this is a great write-up and review - thanks so much!
i agree with the point that they are, truly, phenomenal musicians both
instrumentally and vocally. the funny stuff is just a bonus :)

oh and to have been there...i've seen red rocks (on tv..U2's famous video)
but can only imagine what it is like in person. i did notice the twinkling
lights of the city on the webcam - what a great reference point, as you
said, for jenny...

glad you had a great time!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am

dustdevil wrote:Bus Drivers Song (hoooray!-- my favorite Conchords song, and I loved Jemaine and Nigel harmonizing on some of the parts)

First of all, hello and welcome to the board! :wave: I haven't had a chance to welcome you yet so...there ya go :D

Don't you just love what they've done with Bus Driver's Song for this tour? I love the harmonizing from Nigel and Jemaine - it sounds just gorgeous! Heart-melting, really.

Also, I was watching the webcam (as is obvious from the posts from last night) and saw all the lights out in Denver but I didn't even register how awesome that'd be when listening to Jenny...I wonder if Jemaine thought about mentioning it in the lyrics that night? Or if he'd even registered it either?

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
dustdevil wrote:Bus Drivers Song (hoooray!-- my favorite Conchords song, and I loved Jemaine and Nigel harmonizing on some of the parts)

First of all, hello and welcome to the board! :wave: I haven't had a chance to welcome you yet so...there ya go :D

Don't you just love what they've done with Bus Driver's Song for this tour? I love the harmonizing from Nigel and Jemaine - it sounds just gorgeous! Heart-melting, really.

Also, I was watching the webcam (as is obvious from the posts from last night) and saw all the lights out in Denver but I didn't even register how awesome that'd be when listening to Jenny...I wonder if Jemaine thought about mentioning it in the lyrics that night? Or if he'd even registered it either?

Fantastic recap, dustdevil! Welcome & Thanks! :thum

And I totaly agree about the harmonizing. Lovely!
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon May 18, 2009 2:19 am

Another amusing photo from Red Rocks

More here: http://twitpic.com/photos/chingaling2u
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:42 am

That picture is awesome!!! I love that the security guy seems to be having a good time. lol!
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 4:27 am

:clap: dustdevil- that was a fantastic recap! :supz:

Love how you described it all....I have to agree about how they sound musically, they really are fine musicians above all else. Just sitting here smiling. :)

Thanks!

PS- Did Bret get to do his usual acting like he was pulling a girl toward him only to suddenly let go and say "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" during Sugalumps, or were they too far from the front row?
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 am

That was a great recap!! Thanks so much!!
Oh wow, it must have been amazing to actually be able to look at the stars during Jenny...sounds like it was a truly beautiful moment :D
And I couldn't agree more, the harmonies that they've done for Bus Driver's Song this tour are unbelievably beautiful!! I think they've really impressed everyone that's heard them thus far.

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 5:47 am

Too Many Dicks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID3HnQ6cNEE

There's another vid with really clear sound but it's from further away...
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon May 18, 2009 5:54 am

God, seeing Arj do his part of TMD really just completes the song :D
I've seen tons of different videos of TMD from this tour, and it NEVER gets old seeing the guys in those ridiculous robot helmets, doing their dance moves after "20 dudes in a conga line". Pure gold :D

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 6:01 am

And seeing one or both of them almost lose their robot heads is great, too! :lol:
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”