May 13- Seattle (3rd show)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

May 13- Seattle (3rd show)

Postby DaMango » Sun May 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Hello everyone! I am brand new to the forums, and like I said in the introductions section, I am so glad that I found you guys! I had an amazing time at the May 13th show in Seattle, and no one to share that joy with. I didn't see a posting for this particular show, so I hope it's ok that I'm starting this one. (I also apologize in advance for the blurry photos, I was using my cell phone camera.)

My boyfriend and I bought tickets off of Craigslist a few weeks before the gig, because all 3 shows were sold out at the time. Of course, they end up releasing more tickets a few days before the show, doh! Oh well, we had no way of knowing that, and I didn't want to run the risk of missing out, you know what I mean? Anyway, the tickets we bought were way up in the 3rd balcony, but Conchords from the nose bleed section is better than no Conchords at all. Heehee.

Unfortunately, I wasn't savvy enough to jot down the setlist, but I'm sure the program was pretty similar to the other shows. Highlights for me were Stana (so cool to hear a new song!) Business Time, Think About It (With a very heartfelt "Save the Whales" message beforehand), Hurt Feelings, Jenny, and of course...the raunchy R&B/boyband rendition of Sugarlumps! Those dance moves were top notch! And, I never knew that a microphone and a crotch made such a fine percussion instrument. :P The Spinal Tap-esque encore of Demon Woman was pretty rockin', especially the fabulous costumes. I wish they could have done more, but they have so many great songs, you just can't fit them all into one show! There was some heckling going on, which annoyed me a bit, but the guys are so good at handling it. Their spontaneous reactions and jokes made seeing them live even more special, in my opinion.

After the show, I waited in the queue at the stage door with about 30 other people. It was raining, and cold, but we still had hopes for a meet'n'greet. My boyfriend was sick, and couldn't stand being out in that weather, so he went back to the car. I, on the other hand, had the fangurl will power to keep waiting! I had written out little thank cards for the guys, and I had written a song for each one of them. The lyrics were tucked into their cards, and I really wanted to give these to them. A crew member came out at about 10:30pm and told us that the guys wouldn't be able to meet with us until 1am! Oh gracious, I was determined, but not enough to wait until 1am. I had work in the morning. I debated whether to just hand my cards to a crew member and beg him to deliver them, or wait just a little bit longer. I theorized that the guy may have told us such a late hour just to get us to go home, but nobody left.

Well thank the Lord, we didn't have to wait until 1am, because about 20 minutes later, Bret appeared! I was towards the back of the line, which was ok, because it gave me time to juggle my thoughts, and all the stuff I had to give to him. Oh wow, Bret was so lovely in person! (Not that I expected him to be any other way.) He was so confident and kind, and generous with everyone’s requests for autographs and photos. When he got to me, I was surprisingly calm and collected. I told him I was a musician, and that I had written him a song. He asked if I included chords with the lyrics, but unfortunately, I hadn’t. I told him I would record it and send it to him, and then I talked it up like it was the best song ever, haha! He was like, “It’s a prime cut, the classics.” And I said it was indeed. He autographed my copy of Bust Magazine, and said that the photo shoot was a lot of fun. Then, he posed with me for this great picture.

I met this sweet gal Christy while waiting in line. She had been following the tour across the US, and this was her 11th show! She told Bret that she would try to get into the Portland show the following night, but she didn’t have a ticket. Bret was so awesome, he immediately pulled out his phone, and put her name on “The List”, so she could get into the show! Isn’t that amazing! What a guy!

Jemaine had come outside by then, equipped with a green umbrella. The line wasn’t as orderly now, people were just swarming around him. I waited patiently, and finally got my turn to share with him my love for his music, and soulful voice. But I gotta say, the moment I heard his deep speaking voice, I turned to mush! Oh my goodness, I was shaking his hand, and I shook it a little too long, LOL! He started to let go, but I kept shaking it and staring at him like a goofball. I did manage to give him my card, and have him sign the magazine, which I told him was one of the best magazine covers of all time. He said it wasn’t exactly one of the best, but I assured him that it was (and probably freaked him out with my enthusiasm). Christy got this shot of Jemaine and me, armed with our bumbershoots.

Christy and Jemaine.

When they walked away, I yelled out thank you to both of them, and stood there in disbelief. Did I really just meet Bret and Jemaine? Did I really? Thankfully I had the photos to prove it, or I might still think it was a dream. I was so grateful for their kindness and generosity, braving the elements to meet the fans even though they had a gig the next day. They’re the kind of guys you can adore as musicians, and as people, and I feel blessed to have had this experience.

Oh, here's my Bust Magazine, made even better with a couple of signatures!

Was anyone else at the show? I’d love to hear your reviews as well!

LauraK
Boom King!

Re: May 13- Seattle (3rd show)

Postby LauraK » Sun May 17, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi DeMango- welcome to the board! :D

Loved reading your account....sorry you had to sit so far away but I'm sure it was still great. You got some great pics, and you have that patented look of Huge Joy on your face that so many of us get when meeting them in person! :love:

How cool that Bret put Christy on The List! I do think I've seen her in pics......wish I could follow them all over, only without them thinking I was a viry stalkery-mel-type, lol!

Check here for the Seattle shows: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2407 I'm pretty sure they're consolidated in this thread. It's in the 'gigs so far' section. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm

DaMango, your account is great!! Soundsl like you had a wonderful time. And your pics with the guys are awesome :D

And I too can't believe that Bret put Christy on the list!! Just goes to show what an amazing guy he is :)
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Oh darn it! I was afraid there was already a place to put my review. Well mods, delete or move my post as you see fit. Is being a newbie a valid excuse? :lol:

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Aww... Bret put her on the list?! What a dude! :heart:

Thanks for your recap! :)

Also, Jemaine's still wearing the Canadian cap. Loves it! :thumb:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 17, 2009 10:04 pm

First of all - DeMango :hug: Welcome! :wave: So nice to meet you - I look forward to getting to know you on the boards - as I'm sure we all are!

Second of all - I turned 100% Breterosexual when I read about him putting Christy on "the List" for the next show. What an absolute DOLL *mush*. HOWEVER, SW, fear not - I quickly went back to 100% Jemainiac - all is back to how it should be ;)

Third of all - I'm glad you got to meet them! I've been saying it ever since I got my chance to meet them in Detroit - but we really are a spoiled bunch, eh? :nod:

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sun May 17, 2009 11:07 pm

This Christy character sounds like a true dedicated fan! That is A LOT of shows to be seeing, but also A LOT of money to be spending. I wonder if she knows about us? I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear about her adventures! Anyone know if she has a blog or something?

DaMango thanks so much for the account and the pictures! Kudos for writing songs for BOTH boys. I am really happy you got to hand it to each of them in person! Who knows, it might show up on tour later or something!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Don't worry- Sherry will move this to the other or merge them or something! :) It's no biggie- and this way, we all got to see it right away and meet you.

Bret looks so determined as he dials his phone..... :clap:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun May 17, 2009 11:49 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Second of all - I turned 100% Breterosexual when I read about him putting Christy on "the List" for the next show. What an absolute DOLL *mush*. HOWEVER, SW, fear not - I quickly went back to 100% Jemainiac - all is back to how it should be ;)
It's okay, Jemaine would have done the same thing...or not, come to think of it last year in Philly I told him I couldn't get into the NYC show the next night and did he offer? :hrmpf: LOL. Tis okay my love for him hasn't waned obviously.

DaMango thanks for that awesome tale and welcome.
90% evil
ImageImage

Rhymnoserous
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Rhymnoserous » Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 am

Great story DaMango! Sounds like you had a great time and I just adore that picture of you and Bret. I'm telling you...every day that man tries more and more to pull me out of my bi-chordianess.

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 am

Aaaw..Bretty!! You just earned a soft spot in my heart.. What a nice guy :heart:
Welcome! and thank you for your lines and pics DaMango. Thank you for sharing.. they're great..and now you can go back and look at them anytime you want.. and always remember that you got to share an umbrella with Jemaine after a wonderful concert..under the rainy sky..The rain in Seattle will from now on remind you of that night..Glad you enjoyed it :D

..I would love to know if this girl Christy got to see them the next day? ..did she got to hang out with them.. and her recaps from the tour!! :D Do they recognize her after 11shows? ..11shows!! That's dedication and money indeed.. I'm so jealous.. Good for her :thumb:
Last edited by Amanda on Mon May 18, 2009 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Clever Monkey
New arrival

Postby Clever Monkey » Mon May 18, 2009 12:16 am

Dandy wrote: "Also, Jemaine's still wearing the Canadian cap. Loves it! "

You're right! Good eye! He loves us. :D

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 am

Clever Monkey wrote:Dandy wrote: "Also, Jemaine's still wearing the Canadian cap. Loves it! "

You're right! Good eye! He loves us. :D

Yeah. He'd better be careful... he might get his ass kicked for wearing it in America. :lol:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon May 18, 2009 2:57 am

Now, it's my turn to say..."Awww, Bret! What a sweetie!" But seriously though, that was super nice and thoughtful of him. But yes, I'm also still a Jemainiac. Christy, if you're lurking out there, please join WTF! We'd love to have you here!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 18, 2009 3:20 am

vmh wrote:Now, it's my turn to say..."Awww, Bret! What a sweetie!" But seriously though, that was super nice and thoughtful of him. But yes, I'm also still a Jemainiac. Christy, if you're lurking out there, please join WTF! We'd love to have you here!

I saw she posted on the guys myspace page so I requested her friendship. She'd definitely get along well here though! ;)

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”