May 17 - Salt Lake City

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

May 17 - Salt Lake City

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 am

Show's over and hopefully they're doing a meet and greet since they didn't at Red Rocks last night.
Can't wait to hear all about this one and see pics!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Re: Salt Lake City- May 17

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 18, 2009 4:49 am

Me too - for very special reasons :bounce:

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 18, 2009 4:51 am

are any WTFolkers in attendance?
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 4:57 am

I know, Kelly!

I hope there are some WTFers there and that they get over here and spill soonest! :D (Well, after they're done hanging out with the boys...) :)
ImageImage

Plus155
New arrival

Postby Plus155 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:03 am

I'm new here, but I was at the show tonight. I'll post more about it later, but Jemaine came out and signed stuff, but Bret was nowhere to be found. Jemaine told me Bret took off early.

Great show btw

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 7:27 am

Hi Plus- Welcome! Looking forward to your recap. :)
ImageImage

Plus155
New arrival

Postby Plus155 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 am

Alright, I decided I can't sleep, so I'll try to give the best recap I can.

The night started off with Arj Barker, he did about half an hour worth of material, and I thought he was hilarious. I wasn't familiar with his act at all, so I was pleasantly surprised. As he was leaving the stage, he introduced the Conchords, and they got right into it. I was glad to see that they didn't have to set up or anything, it made for a really entertaining night, without all of the waiting of a normal concert.

So, I didn't really keep a log of the set list, so I will just give a rough recap off the top of my head.

They came out in robot costumes, and performed 'Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor', Arj came out and did his part of the song.
Then they went into some banter, which I felt was the best part of the show, they are really good on their feet.
'Hurt Feelings' was next, followed by 'The Most Beautiful Girl'
Around this time, some girls in the front row gave the guys two electronic, dancing flowers. Jeamine put them on Nigel's bongos. Nigel liked them.
They played "Mutha'uckas", with Bret on the drums, and then afterwards, someone in the crowd shouted for them to play "Hiphopopotamus", which they did. Jemaine commented that they don't like playing those two songs back to back because they are basically the same song.
Here's where my memory fails me.
I know they played Stana, Jenny, Bus Driver Song, Robots, I Told You I Was Freekie, Sugalumps, I'm In Love With a Sexy Lady, Not Crying, Business Time, Albi, Bowie.
I'm sure that I am leaving out something, so hopefully someone else there was keeping better track than I was.

The show ended at about 10:00, so my brother and I ran to our car, and grabbed our stuff for the guys to sign. Then we headed over to the buses and waited. About half an hour later, a woman came out to tell us that the guys probably weren't going to come out, but it was still up in the air. This caused a few people to leave, but about 20 minutes later, we saw Jemaine come out. He couldn't have been more kind, a very nice guy.
He signed my Pencils in the Wind 7" sleave, and he asked me if I had listen to it yet, which i replied with, "Yes I have, was it recorded live, or in the studio?" and he told me that it was studio, and why i asked. I told him that the mess up during Albi kind of led me to believe that it was live. He told me it was on purpose, it was supposed to be as if he was reading it out of a book, and didn't know what voice to use. I felt like an idiot afterwards, but like i said before, he was very kind. He signed my brother's poster, and took a picture with us.
So, we thanked him, and asked him if Bret was going to be coming out too, he told us that Bret had already left. I was a little dissapointed, but at least I got to meet Jemaine.

I didn't get any pictures of the show, but I do have the picture of Jemaine and myself. He isn't as tall as I thought he would be. I hope that was somewhat readable. I'm still in shock :D

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 18, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks for the recap, plus! and welcome to the forum! :)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Lettie
New arrival

Re: May 17 - Salt Lake City

Postby Lettie » Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Hey, I was behind you in line. :)
I don't really have anything to add as far as details go. It was so much fun though! I wished it had gone on all night.

At the Meet and Greet Jemaine picked up my 6'5 brother in law for a picture. It was very funny.

Here's a review from one of the local papers:

Conchords' tongue-in-cheek style goes over well

By Jeff Vice

Deseret News
Published: Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:44 p.m. MDT

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS, ARJ BARKER, Abravanel Hall, May 17

Bret McKenzie, one half of New Zealand's Flight of the Conchords, described the band's stage show as, doing "songs, with a bit of talking in between."

Strictly speaking, that's an accurate assessment, but you're really not getting the full picture there. Instead, theirs is a much-rehearsed, folk-and-joke routine that went over well with the sold-out house in Salt Lake's Abravanel Hall.

It didn't hurt that the most of the songs in the duo's 90-minute set were very familiar to fans of the Conchords' self-titled, half-hour comedy series on HBO.

And the set was heavy on songs about the Conchords' supposed relationship woes. "Hurt Feelings," "Crying" and "Stick Around" weren't as sullen and depressing as their titles may make them sound.

McKenzie, the more slender member (with the scruffy facial hair) is arguably the more talented musician of the two. But throughout the performance, the bespectacled Clement was more than content to play narrator and supply funny voices when needed.

That included voicing the title character in the "Puff the Magic Dragon" spoof "Alby the Racist Dragon," as well as doing keen impressions of actor-turned-politician Arnold Schwarzenegger and musician/occasional actor David Bowie. (The former came in the popular, pro-automaton anthem "Robots," the latter in "Bowies in Space," one of the songs featured in the duo's abbreviated encore.)

Fellow Kiwi Nigel "Dark Horse" Collins joined Clement and McKenzie for about half the set, providing some percussion and cello to flesh out the rather spartan, acoustic sound.

Some occasional off-color humor didn't seem to bother the youngish crowd too much. "Business Time" described love making between two partners, while "Suga Lumps" saw Clement and McKenzie showing off some suggestive dance moves.

And coming onstage in cardboard-and-silver-lame robot outfits, the Conchords opened with the naughty "Too Many (Bleeps) on the Dance Floor," which was followed by a lengthy but tongue-in-cheek discussion of what inspired the song.

Still, the best moments came when they mixed up styles and genres. Both Conchords rapped convincingly on "Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros," while a new song, the goofy "Stana" was clearly inspired by folk standards like Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John."

There were a couple of notable songs that were missing from the nearly 90-minute performance, such as "A Kiss is Not a Contract," "Ladies of the World" and "The Pretty Prince of Party."

And unfortunately, originally scheduled opener Iron & Wine — a more-serious musical endeavor that would have made a good pairing — had to drop off some dates.

So the duo was accompanied for this show — and on this leg of the tour — by American comedian Arj Barker, who plays the Conchords' pathological liar pal, Dave, on the HBO program.

In his 30-minute stand-up routine, Barker scored early on with some topical humor — such as observing that Salt Lake City's popular Gateway Center "would lead to even-bigger malls."

And his good-natured ribbing of a popular cereal manufacturer that dropped its sponsorship of Olympic Gold Medal-winning swimmer Michael Phelps was amusing.

However, he did go on a little too long, and he was a bit too reliant on four-letter words for emphasis. His unfunny "Doctors Without Degrees" bit deservedly bombed with the audience.

E-mail: jeff@desnews.com

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Lettie wrote:At the Meet and Greet Jemaine picked up my 6'5 brother in law for a picture.

Aw come on it's already been done. Is this going to be a trend now? If so hauling my 5'8" ass will be easy for Jem since he's primed himself with the big guys. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Plus, welcome to the board! Thanks for the recap- awesome! :) Sorry you didn't get to meet Bret but it sounds like you had some good face-time with Jemaine. Nice pic of you 2. (He is tall- you're just taller! :yawinkle: )

Hi Lettie- welcome aboard! Thanks for the review....though I must say I'm trying not take umbrage at Jeff's opinion:
McKenzie, the more slender member (with the scruffy facial hair) is arguably the more talented musician of the two. But throughout the performance, the bespectacled Clement was more than content to play narrator and supply funny voices when needed.

I tried.....didn't work. I'm umbraged. :hrmpf:

So, can we see the pic of J picking up your bro-in-law? :D
Last edited by LauraK on Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Lettie
New arrival

Postby Lettie » Mon May 18, 2009 6:10 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Lettie wrote:At the Meet and Greet Jemaine picked up my 6'5 brother in law for a picture.

Aw come on it's already been done. Is this going to be a trend now? If so hauling my 5'8" ass will be easy for Jem since he's primed himself with the big guys. :lol:

He didn't know that. It was his first show and he doesn't read any message boards or anything. He actually asked if he could pick him up and Jemaine said no, I'll pick you up. I have no idea why he asked. It was still very funny though.

Lettie
New arrival

Postby Lettie » Mon May 18, 2009 6:12 pm

LauraK wrote:Hi Lettie- welcome aboard! Thanks for the review....though I must say I'm trying not take umbrage at this opinion:

I tried.....didn't work. I'm umbraged. :hrmpf:

So, can we see the pic of J picking up your bro-in-law? :D

Hey, I didn't write the article! :wink:

I don't have a picture of him, but I will ask my sister for one.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm

I just meant thanks for posting it- I can see the name of the reviewer at top and bottom! :yawinkle: :) Should've separated my comments a bit better...

There's another pic of J picking up a dude...can't remember which show but it was pretty recent.
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 pm

I found it odd that one guy asked to be picked up but 2?

Umbraged? Wow. That's my new fave word. (to replace "smote" the past tense of smitten :lol: )
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”