April 29 - Chicago (second of two shows)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

Re: April 29 - Chicago (second of two shows)

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 23, 2009 12:28 am

Yep - I'll second what everyone else here as said - you've gotta at least TRY. And I can't second this enough: Have something prepared. I didn't, and ended up saying something stupid to Bret and basically said nothing to Jemaine :lol: I was just so flipping scared (I get freaked out meeting new people in general). Laura was freaking cool as a cucumber, and Michael was frozen cool (BBC Radio reference - YAY!)...Bret and Jemaine truly are the biggest sweethearts - they take a lot of time to talk to everyone there, and Bret sometimes brings treats! You should definitely at least try. Though, in meeting them and seeing what sweet guys they are in the flesh, it broke my heart when it was over. But it was completely worth it :nod:

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Sat May 23, 2009 1:51 am

LauraK wrote:Trust me, you won't make a fool of yourself or say anything silly.....

Well, you obviously have not met me. :rolls: My social awkwardness knows no bounds it seems. :oops:

But thank you for the encouragement. It was reading your wonderful stories about the Detroit M & G that helped me to get up the nerve to try to meet them after the Milwaukee show. I just knew I'd regret it forever if I didn't at least try.

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Sat May 23, 2009 1:55 am

nonchalant obsession wrote: They are seriously SO kind and friendly that you won't believe it. Not to mention even more attractive in person. Both - So tall, so dark, so handsome, so unrushed and without even a hint of conceit or superiority. I was expecting rushed signatures from behind a baricade, without much more than a glance or a "hello". It was so casual and relaxed (at least in Chicago) and both of them together, Bret sharing fruit... was I dreaming?

(goes to check pictures to make sure it was real) :yay:

Ugh, and I was there that night, I was THERE, and I left!!! I will never forgive myself for that. Yes, I can't let the opportunity go by again. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :pray:

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 am

LauraK wrote:The pic of Jemaine and I hugging is taped to the wall in the kitchen and it's my desktop. Tom's been good about it....

I'm not brave enough to try that... You're Tom sounds sweet and completely confident in your relationship, with perhaps a great sense of humor? Lucky girl!

I try to show no partiality to one conchord or the other in front of my hubby. I guess my thinking is that he won't feel as threatened by my adoration of TWO absolutely gorgeous, amazingly talented men as he would if it were just one. :hrm:

He does love me so much that if I'm having a bad day or if he's done something um, irritating then he will sometimes try to cheer me up by suggesting that we watch an episode of FotC. Can't stay sad or mad after that. :popcorn:

Bret & Jemaine are truly my drug of choice. I can't thank them enough for that. No hangovers, no prescriptions, no awkward failing of random drug testing. :wink: Just pure happiness. Plus I've lost 10 pounds since this new addiction. Too busy and too relaxed/joyful to stress eat.

Here's to hoping the attraction lasts until I lose the last 10 lbs! :pray:
Image..Image..Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Sat May 23, 2009 6:55 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:
eorious: Well actually, he's already got that scruffy beard, shaggy hair, generally unkempt Kiwi look about him. So I guess I'm a pretty lucky girl. :love:

Sounds like you are a lucky girl!

Have a great time at the show, I am so happy for you and more than a little jealous! Take lots of pictures, and come back here and spill everything as soon as you can! Is your scruffy, unkept faux-Kiwi going to the show with you?

Nah, he had a two show limit. And he already had plans to hang out with some old college buddies this weekend. It's ok, it will be easier to let loose without him around. It's hard to obsess too much over the boys when your fella is sitting next to you. :wink:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 23, 2009 12:33 pm

eorious wrote: Ugh, and I was there that night, I was THERE, and I left!!! I will never forgive myself for that. Yes, I can't let the opportunity go by again. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :pray:

You were there?!?!?!?!?!? It would have been so fun to meet you! Did you not have hopes for a meet and greet or did your fella drag you away?

It was quite convenient that my man was out of town on April 29. (he really wanted to go to the show) Cuz I don't think he would waited 1+ hours to watch me adore 2 other men...

In other words, "conditions were perfect"... Here's hoping that your m&g happens this time! :pray:
Image..Image..Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Sat May 23, 2009 1:58 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:You were there?!?!?!?!?!? It would have been so fun to meet you! Did you not have hopes for a meet and greet or did your fella drag you away?

Yep. It was a little of both actually. McCormick Place is so huge I had no idea where to start looking for them. And my fella had no interest in helping me figure it out. To be fair, we were both pretty tired, had driven down right after work and had an early morning the next day.

Next time they play Chicago you better believe I'll be there. And I bet you will be too! :D

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 23, 2009 2:08 pm

eorious wrote:Next time they play Chicago you better believe I'll be there. And I bet you will be too! :D

:nod:
Image..Image..Image

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue May 26, 2009 6:53 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Yep - I'll second what everyone else here as said - you've gotta at least TRY. And I can't second this enough: Have something prepared. I didn't, and ended up saying something stupid to Bret and basically said nothing to Jemaine :lol: I was just so flipping scared (I get freaked out meeting new people in general). Laura was freaking cool as a cucumber, and Michael was frozen cool (BBC Radio reference - YAY!)...Bret and Jemaine truly are the biggest sweethearts - they take a lot of time to talk to everyone there, and Bret sometimes brings treats! You should definitely at least try. Though, in meeting them and seeing what sweet guys they are in the flesh, it broke my heart when it was over. But it was completely worth it :nod:

"Frozen cool"? I like that. 8)

If you don't know what to say or get flustered, I recommend cue cards. Write generic statements on them so you won't get confused by which of the guys you might be talking to. Add stage directions if necessary.

(monotone voice) "Wow. I am so (happy/excited/thrilled) to finally meet you in person. The show was great. Can I get your (autograph/picture)?"

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue May 26, 2009 7:40 am

Is it weird that I was neither nervous nor excited when I met them? I thought I'd be a mess, but it was more like "Oh, there, Bret & Jemaine... cool." I surprised myself by managing to carry on a normal conversation with both of them and I hope I didn't say anything too guitarded. :roll:

Bad Atom has some good ideas about cue cards though... just don't write on your hands or arm... the sweat will smudge it and then you'll just look like you don't bathe. :lol:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 26, 2009 12:48 pm

I was shocked by the "normal" feel to the meet and greet as well. It took about 5 minutes for my body to stop shaking but the guys are so casual and friendly that I felt like it was proper and respectful to them to stay away from the "crazy, drooling, stalker, love-sick teenager" side of myself, and behave like they were just a couple of old mates from college that I hadn't seen in a long while.

Of course the down side to this, is that much I would have like to have said, will remain forever unsaid. The crazy photos, or even just the quantity of photos that I would have liked to have taken - now do not exist. But the memory remains... Almost a month ago... (insert heavy sigh) Is this the start of "post m&g depression"???
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 26, 2009 3:19 pm

When Bret first came out I jumped up and down a little but we waited to be almost last, so by the time he got to us, I was pretty calm....I think I felt and spoke to him in a normal way. (I hope.) Jemaine.....that was surreal. I know I had a nice little conversation with him, I was surprised at how very down-to-earth and a bit shy he seemed. I might not have thought I was affected at the time, but every single thing I'd wanted to ask him or say to him (in my practice sessions in my head) went out the window. Or slid out my ears, lol.

We think so highly of them and want to make a good impression so our bodies take over, maybe. Becoming calm....losing the ability to remember things we'd meant to say....becoming more shy than normal....all protective measures to keep us from jumping up and down and grabbing them and squeezing them most likely!

You're welcome, Bret and Jemaine. :yawinkle:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 26, 2009 4:04 pm

LauraK wrote:I might not have thought I was affected at the time, but every single thing I'd wanted to ask him or say to him (in my practice sessions in my head) went out the window. Or slid out my ears, lol.

We think so highly of them and want to make a good impression so our bodies take over, maybe. Becoming calm....losing the ability to remember things we'd meant to say....becoming more shy than normal....all protective measures to keep us from jumping up and down and grabbing them and squeezing them most likely!

You're welcome, Bret and Jemaine. :yawinkle:

Lol! I'm sure they are quite thankful that us uberfans can pull it together. :whistle:

As you so delicately say, "We think so highly of them" and "wanting to make a good impression" that calm, reserve is the result. Good point. I prefer that theory to one that often pops into my head that I'm just a starstruck, tongue-tied, coward.

I wonder if our bodies win control over our brains because, mmm how to say so I don't get deleted... being so physically near the one who... who... who... inspires such passionate devotion in his fan base. :D You know, lack of blood flow to the brain...
Image..Image..Image

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:-We think so highly of them

nonchalant obsession wrote:-I'm just a starstruck, tongue-tied, coward.

nonchalant obsession wrote:mmm how to say so I don't get deleted... being so physically near the one who... who... who... inspires such passionate devotion in his fan base. :D You know, lack of blood flow to the brain...

:rolls:

I think I love you nonchalant.. :hug:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri May 29, 2009 12:58 pm

It is the one month anniversary of the Chicago 2nd night North American Tour of the Flight of the Conchords, and the one month anniversary of the night I met Bret and Jemaine. Probably goes down as my 14th or 15th most favorite memory! Is that bad, or normal?

Happy Anniversary Eorious, Sonia, Jemaine, Bret, Eugene, Nigel, and anyone else who was there! :party:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”