May 22 - Santa Barbara

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
skipsabn
New arrival

Re: May 22 - Santa Barbara

Postby skipsabn » Sun May 24, 2009 4:48 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been poking around here for a while and never posted. There was actually mention of my wife and I here in a recap from the Orpheum 6/1 show as the "older couple with matching Who Likes To Rock The Party shirt". We got our pictures in the LA Times for the article on FOTC fashion with those! We were rocking them last night but my wife got cold and covered up... and for the record we're both under 40!

We will stick it out tomorrow for the Greek to try the m&g. The wife and I had to get home to spell the babysitter last night. Definitely going to say Hi to Arj who was in the "lobby" signing CD's and rocking the Dave headband. The buses are easier to get to and the parking is worse so there's no hurry to get out.

The panty "chuck" would have been monumental from my seats behind the soundboard. Talking my wife out of a pair would have been even more impossible...

No pictures but the guys came out in the robot suits for the opener. Then shed the silver suits for regular clothes. Bret had a black and red western shirt and Jemaine had the white sweater. When Bret started saying how cold it was and got the blanket, Jemaine said he was good he was wearing a cardigan! For the encore I forget what Bret was wearing but Jemaine had a flannel shirt that looked like a picnic blanket.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 24, 2009 4:56 am

All right! I remember hearing about you guys in those t-shirts- 8)

You know, they sell panties at the thrift store.....they don't have to be the wife's.... :wink:

The panties that were laid onstage in Detroit were frilly, orange and pretty awful, lol. If you were to throw a thong up there, maybe Jemaine would do the thong-thong-song! :lol:

I'm going to see if there's any video on YouTube.....Welcome, if I haven't said it! Stick around and tell your wife we'd love to hear her perspective as well. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 24, 2009 5:39 am

Here's a tweet from Arj with a pic- hilarious! (That's right, Arj....Jemaine and Bret are #'s 1 and 2...)

http://twitter.com/arjbarker/status/1890304099
ImageImage

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Sun May 24, 2009 4:10 pm

skipsabn wrote:Bret had a black and red western shirt and Jemaine had the white sweater.

Again with the western shirt!! I think this is his fourth time wearing it... :lol:

LauraK wrote:Here's a tweet from Arj with a pic- hilarious! (That's right, Arj....Jemaine and Bret are #'s 1 and 2...)

http://twitter.com/arjbarker/status/1890304099

That is hilarious!! Oh Arj :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 25, 2009 3:23 am

Robots: (You can really hear the comments of the guys filming/singing along...but it adds a little something! :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjjtv9u1GLU
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon May 25, 2009 3:33 am

Very funny Arj pic. I have to say I've enjoyed all Arj's pics, lol.

What I really want to know is, who was #2? :hrm: :lol:

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon May 25, 2009 12:39 pm

mockingbird wrote:Very funny Arj pic. I have to say I've enjoyed all Arj's pics, lol.

Well, how many one's can you have?
Image..Image..Image

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:
mockingbird wrote:Very funny Arj pic. I have to say I've enjoyed all Arj's pics, lol.

Well, how many one's can you have?

:rolls:

:thumb:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:19 am

First things first. I admit that I read gossip/celebrity mags. Especially while getting my hair done and while lounging pool-side. Also, I regularly check celebrity websites (mainly for the clothes...but while I'm there I'll read up on who's dating who and which famous family is vacationing where, etc.).

I admit these sad truths. However, despite the fact that I can rattle off the names of various celebrities' children and recognize a socialite by her shoes, I insist that I'm not one to get particularly star-struck when I personally encounter celebrity. After all, if I've learned anything from the magazines, it's that "Stars are just like us" right? Well, they are (minus the paid entourages and excessive liquidity and free stuff).

I should clarify. I USUALLY don't get star-struck. Usually. Like, I'd probably try to molest Jason Schwartzman, given the opportunity (and with Kenny's consent, of course). Such was also the case last Friday when I met my favorite "folk parody band" members, Bret McKenzie & Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords and their friend Arj Barker (a.k.a. "Dave"). Also, I "met" Albi the Racist Dragon - and its creator. It was magical and the best start to what turned out to be a pretty glorious Memorial Day weekend. (Thanks Hudd and Amelia and for always having the hook-ups!) Now some pics!

Bret needs you to know that he's not cryin' rather there's an inflamation in his tear gland.
Meanwhile Jemaine recounts the story of Albi, the racist dragon, whose tears turned into jelly beans all the colors of the rainbow.
Somehow we got to withness an award ceremony after the show where the duo was given medals and this Puss in Boots cardboard cut out. They were touched.
Bret was surprisingly tall. And awesome. Hudd, Amelia, Kenny, and I were enjoying a very late dinner after this, and Bret walked in with some crew members. He saw us first and beelined straight to our table to chat and to eat Kenny's fries. I love him, I think.
Jemaine was sweet, too. Kinda shy, but nice.
Again...it was marvelous. And Bret, you may have just been being nice, but next time we go to New Zealand, we will totally take you up on your offer to stay with you. I'm not joking.

Source

Had to share this especially due to the pic of the random Puss in the Boots cardboard cutout the boys received. I bet they were ecstatic to receive the medals and cardboard cutout :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”