May 24 Los Angeles Greek

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: May 24 Los Angeles Greek

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 26, 2009 6:01 am

WOW...!! Really??? James Bobin was there?? Dudes, I would not be able to restrain myself if I saw JB himself... I would launch myself at him with all the love of a rabid fan, but minus the restraint imposed by idol worship. The poor man wouldn't know what hit him, lol.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 26, 2009 6:47 am

Ok, here's another vid of Patricio and Waldo doing Issues.....but it's a bit longer, it's brighter and the camera pans over to Bret and Jemaine for reaction- which is a riot! Also, the fan who yelled "Caesar!" getting burned is at the end....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2S9O_S ... r_embedded
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 am

LauraK wrote:Ok, here's another vid of Patricio and Waldo doing Issues.....but it's a bit longer, it's brighter and the camera pans over to Bret and Jemaine for reaction- which is a riot! Also, the fan who yelled "Caesar!" getting burned is at the end....:)

That was awesome. "We just embarrassed your whole country!"

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Tue May 26, 2009 7:36 am

That's pretty funny!

Why does that seem so familiar? Have they done something like that before? Or am I thinking of some other band?

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am

Cuse wrote:That's pretty funny!

Why does that seem so familiar? Have they done something like that before? Or am I thinking of some other band?

Americans are pretty stupid on the whole, so they've probably done it many, many times before. :)

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Tue May 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Here is a bunch of really great shots from the night on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starbright31/
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 pm

More vids... from the same lovely lady that took the great pictures I posted the link to above.

(I haven't actually looked at all of these since I have the slowest internet ever, but judging by where she was sitting, they will be good)....

Update: have seen some, and they are really great!

Most beautiful girl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_NU9s_TtQ

Hiphop V Rhym:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MXHSMfbaBw

Albi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63JJs2kCsFU

Another Bilingual Think About It:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkBkPXC-2pg

Business time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qddTO-haOs

Sexy Lady/Sugalumps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC0uKzzgIM0
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 pm

LauraK wrote:Ok, here's another vid of Patricio and Waldo doing Issues.....but it's a bit longer, it's brighter and the camera pans over to Bret and Jemaine for reaction- which is a riot! Also, the fan who yelled "Caesar!" getting burned is at the end....:)

:roll2: That was hilarious! Thanks so much for posting :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Oh man, that "Issues" was hilarious - their impression of Americans is so embarrassing, though. Funny, but embarrassing.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue May 26, 2009 7:08 pm

Even though I was still very elated from the previous night (see my Las Vegas recap), I managed to fit in a nap before the show. I invited my sister and her boyfriend to come with me. My sister’s boyfriend drove this time. Yay, no busses!

We got there 3 hours before the show because I wanted to see if I could upgrade the 2 tickets I had for the North Terrace section. But when I visited the box office, they had nothing. The show was sold out. Luckily, a guy named Matt contacted me through this board about having 2 extra tickets for section B (much better than N. Terrace). I called him that night and he sold them to me for face value. I then sold the other 2 I had to someone for the same price. I also had an e-ticket that was sent to me from a guy I contacted on craigslist. I bought that one for $80 but it was an excellent seat. $80 was a deal. Proof that you should never give up on the ticket hunt! It ain’t over til the fat lady sings…or in this case, til the kiwis start singing and the theatre attendants shut the entrance curtain.

I had my sister and her boyfriend sit in Section B together and I sat in Section A, Row E. I was dead center, five rows behind the pit, 11 rows from the stage. To put it into perspective:

Awesome! James Bobin was sitting 2 rows in front of me! Pretty exciting. I haven’t been to The Greek Theatre for 6 years so I had forgotten how gorgeous it was. It’s an outdoor venue, surrounded by trees in Griffith Park. Once it started to get dark, it was beautiful getting to see them play underneath the stars (Nope, not Angelina Jolie! I’m talking about the other kinds of stars.) in Los Angeles.

I knew Arj Barker was going to open but I didn’t expect Eugene Mirman to also be a guest. It was a pleasant surprise! Eugene came on first and was only on state for maybe five minutes. He read his letter to Delta airlines. Arj came on after and did practically the same set from the night before. He said it was great to back in California but since he’s from the Bay Area, he also said of course, he hates it down here. He screwed up the teacup joke but he said there was more where that came from.

I actually wrote down the set list this time.

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Most Beautiful Girl
Stana
Jenny
Freaky
I’m Not Crying
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Carol Brown
Business Time
Epileptic Dogs
(Issues) Think About It
Sexy Lady/Sugalumps

Encore:
Prince of Parties
Albi the Racist Dragon
Bowie

The banter for this show was way better than the banter in Vegas. I was laughing the entire time, along with the people sitting next to me. After Too Many Dicks, they did the one about one band member being late for rehearsal before diving in to Hurt Feelings.

When Nigel came out, someone shouted, “Nigel, you rock!” And Jemaine concurred that Nigel does in fact rock. And then Nigel came back with how it’s funny that it’s always the men who say that to him. And he credited his hair for that.

Matt was fantastic on drums during Business Time! Afterward, they had technical problems and they were calling Matt for assistance. Then, I think Bret said Matt was on a drumming high and he was backstage signing a “titty.” They joked that there was A LOT going on backstage. Bret got up and ran offstage to go get Matt and Jemaine said Bret left to go sign the other one. Bret came back a second later and said, he just left to get a quick BJ. All part of the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle.

For Carol Brown, Bret had the women in the audience do a rehearsal before the song. He wanted the chorus to have a haunting effect. Afterward, he said he was disappointed because we were better in the rehearsal than the actual song.

The highlight for me was getting to see the Spanish translators during Think About It. Waldo and Patricio did an excellent job! I thought that I could try to use what I learned in two semesters of Spanish to follow along. Ahaha…I was wrong! Two semesters will not cut it. I’m glad the videos from the show got uploaded so quickly.

skipsabn wrote:One part was funny because they were playing the Greek Theater, Jemaine kept saying we're playing in the Pantheon Of The Gods. Bret was saying how it must have been just like this in Ancient Greece. Then some dude shouted (I'm pretty sure he said) "Freebird", but Jemaine cut right in and said "Caesar? No he was Roman! Totally different but it's okay. There's only 3 other americans that actually know that. Pow! Zing!"

I'm pretty sure I heard him shout out Freebird too.

There’s so much more I wish I could remember. The vibe of this show was quite a contrast from the previous show in Vegas. The crowd for Los Angeles was more lively and energetic. A women in front of me even got up and started dancing with her date for most of the songs. Overall, it was more fun.

The show ended around 11 PM. We waited until 2 AM for Bret to come out for a few minutes. It was pretty chilly. I did not dress properly at all. After a few hours, my sister’s boyfriend went to get the car and we parked near the crowd and waited in his truck for anyone to come out. I was really hoping Jemaine would be there for the meet and greet. I figured that maybe the second time around, I would have all the nervousness out of my system and I would make a better impression this time. I also wanted to give him a cassette tape put out by Granny Press for his son. If you’re familiar with Bruce Haack (think 60’s electronic music), he collaborated with this women named Esther Nelson and together they started a label (Dimension 5) and put out some really cool records for children. But he didn’t come out. :( Somehow, I'll deal. While we were waiting, James Bobin came walking past the crowd but he was with his date so I didn’t try to bother him. Bret came out but didn’t stay for long at all. He talked with 3-4 fans tops. This girl brought him a new toy piano. It was so sweet! I don’t know the back story behind this but some fans wanted to get a picture of Bret sitting in their van. Bret went along with it and hopped in the passenger seat and posed with his thumbs up. I can’t wait to see if that photo pops up anywhere!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Good stuff! Thanks for the recap vmh :D
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 am

Thanks for another good recap, vmh! :) I'm sorry Jemaine didn't come out...:( But I'm looking forward to your pics of when you did meet him at the other m&G....:)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kikiexpress
Giving the paper to the people

Postby kikiexpress » Wed May 27, 2009 1:57 am

Wow vmh sounds like you had a really good time :D
Amazing how you got really good seats through all that. Seemed like an awesome performance over all and I hope someday you can meet Jemaine and give him the cassette you wanted to give him :)
Thanks for the recap!
ImageImageImage
We are one heart, one mind, one soul.
-Quote of my life

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed May 27, 2009 4:59 am

vmh wrote: I don’t know the back story behind this but some fans wanted to get a picture of Bret sitting in their van. Bret went along with it and hopped in the passenger seat and posed with his thumbs up. I can’t wait to see if that photo pops up anywhere!

The owner posted a photo on facebook:

:lol:
&

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed May 27, 2009 5:06 am

Venus wrote:
vmh wrote: I don’t know the back story behind this but some fans wanted to get a picture of Bret sitting in their van. Bret went along with it and hopped in the passenger seat and posed with his thumbs up. I can’t wait to see if that photo pops up anywhere!

The owner posted a photo on facebook:

:lol:

That is such a cute photo! :D
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”