May 23 - The Joint - Las Vegas

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: May 23 - The Joint - Las Vegas

Postby Venus » Tue May 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Thank you vmh for your recap, really enjoyed reading it! Aww your account of meeting Jemaine is too cute. I can totally imagine him having that effect on people :)

And eorious, I hope you're alright now following your trip home.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue May 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that when they came back on for the encore, Jemaine brought a digital clock with him to prove to us how rock and roll they were. He flashed us the time, which read 11:09 PM, to which he exclaimed, "51 minutes until midnight!"

Viry rock 'n' roll! :folkon: :lol:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Wed May 27, 2009 5:53 am

LauraK wrote:Oh my gosh, eorious.....I hope you're all right..... :(

Awwww....that's so sweet of y'all to be worried about me. :oops: I'm ok, really. I just had a phenomenally bad day on Sunday, which was a shock to my system after the fantastic time I had the night before (more about that later).

The flights home were a misery. First, the flight out of Vegas had to abort in the middle of take off because of a medical emergency on board. Then when we landed in Denver we were stuck on the tarmac for quite some time due to severe weather (the ground crew had been evacuated to storm shelters). Words you never want to hear the captain say over the intercom: "If you look out the left side of the plane you'll see the tornado..." :shock: No joking. Apparently there were THREE tornados near Denver that afternoon. And have I mentioned that I have a slight phobia about flying to begin with?

Needless to say, the flight out to Chicago was delayed by a lot, so when we finally landed everyone was in a foul mood. I decided to be a kind soul and let the people off first who were trying to catch connecting flights. Big mistake. As I'm sitting there patiently waiting to get off, I notice some guy reach over to the bin above my head and pull out a bag that looked somehow familiar. It took my sleep-deprived brain a few moments to realize that the bag he was running off the plane with was actually mine, and by the time I fought my way up to the exit and started chasing him, he was long gone.

I won't go into the boring details on how very UNhelpful every United employee was to me in my plight, but suffice to say I have a story that would hold it's own with Eugene Mirman's Delta rant. I spent the first half of yesterday just trying to talk to a human (the robots really have taken over at United) and the second half kicking myself for not having handled the situation differently and maybe preventing what happened. :doh:

It was bad enough losing all my stuff, my prescription meds and my (almost) new luggage, but the thing that really kills me is that all my concert goodies were in there, and I had a lot. Is it crazy that that is what upsets me the most?

4everconchordsfan was an absolute sweetheart and managed to replace one thing for me when she went to the Berkeley show last night, and I'm so grateful to her for that. :yay: If any of you happen to see the Vegas poster for sale anywhere, please let me know, okay? I really need to replace that too, it was very cool.

Sorry about the rant, I just really needed to get that off my chest in order to focus on the good bits of Jemaine -- um, I mean the weekend -- the good bits of the weekend. LOL. :rolls:

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed May 27, 2009 6:08 am

Oh, eorious. I don't know what to say. :( Is it possible he grabbed your bag by mistake and might try to contact you to give it back? I just can't believe someone would be that much of an a$$hole, to deliberately grab someone else's bag and run off. Besides, what about his own stuff? Or did he have two bags?

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Wed May 27, 2009 6:33 am

mockingbird wrote:Oh, eorious. I don't know what to say. :( Is it possible he grabbed your bag by mistake and might try to contact you to give it back? I just can't believe someone would be that much of an a$$hole, to deliberately grab someone else's bag and run off. Besides, what about his own stuff? Or did he have two bags?

Well, I go back and forth on that. There was one bag left on the plane once everyone got off. But it didn't look like mine and it was like 10 rows back. So I have trouble seeing how he could make that mistake. The flight crew actually gave it to me to take to Lost & Found to see if there was a name inside. I rummaged through the whole thing myself (which was rather disgusting as it was mostly full of wet underwear and socks) and I found nothing at all that could help me identify who it belonged to. Judging by the clothing size it very well may have belonged to the guy I saw, but there wasn't really anything of value in there (in my opinion) that would be worth the effort for him to try to reclaim it.

I don't know, I guess only time will tell. United doesn't answer the phone number they told me to call, nor have they returned the messages I left asking to be called. So it really is up to the goodwill of that guy whether or not I'll ever see my stuff. :(

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed May 27, 2009 6:43 am

Oh noes!! eorius, that's awful! I'm sorry your travels were so craptastic. I hope you belongings are returned to you! :hug:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed May 27, 2009 6:53 am

Laura-What a crappy thing that guy did! I'm so sorry. That's really unfortunate. I hope that he did just mistake your bag for his and you'll get a call in a day or two. Even crappier was the way United handled your situation. Shame on the staff. :tsk: I say we all send angry letters to United. I'll keep an eye out for the Las Vegas poster and I'll let you know if I see anything.

I don't know if this will help but it might make you feel a smidge better if you check out LauraK's GIF signature. Trust me! :D
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

hurt_feelings
New arrival

Postby hurt_feelings » Wed May 27, 2009 7:01 am

LauraK wrote:hurtfeelings- very cool that you got to meet Bret like that. He's so gracious, isn't he? They both are. *sigh* They make it so easy for us to put them on pedestals.
Will we get to see your pic with him? I hope so. :)
Sorry you didn't get to meet Jemaine but you got a one-of-a-kind pic with Bret! :thumb:

We were very lucky!! Never expected to just see him out and about :D. Definitely very gracious, his dad was very nice as well, he was actually the one that took our picture (I just asked him if he'd take it without knowing it was his dad until Bret mentioned it afterwards and I felt a bit embarassed I had just asked him, of all people, to take the picture hehe :oops:).

Sure, I'll post the pic. Haven't had a chance to transfer them to the computer yet but will post as soon as I do. We got some nice ones from the show as well, including a couple of the undies that were given to us before the show to throw on stage (made for a very funny moment as some have already pointed out :lol: ).

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Wed May 27, 2009 7:08 am

vmh wrote:I'll keep an eye out for the Las Vegas poster and I'll let you know if I see anything.

I don't know if this will help but it might make you feel a smidge better if you check out LauraK's GIF signature. Trust me! :D

Thanks, Vanessa. OMG, he really does love :smooch: his omnichords, doesn't he? :roll2: That does cheer me up almost as much as the cleavage pic LauraK found the other day. :thud:

I wonder what show that was from? I don't recognize the shirt. Gosh, what a Mel-ish thing to say...like I have his entire closet catalogued. :rolls: (really, I've only made it as far as 'P') :lol:

hurt_feelings
New arrival

Postby hurt_feelings » Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 am

Here's the Bret pic and the undies pic, will try to post more soon.

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed May 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Does anyone else LOVE the fact that Bret is rocking a shirt with a lion on it during his non-performance Bret time????

Awesome pictures, thanks for the post!

eorious, I am so so so sorry about everything. Hopefully your bag will be returned one day, and hopefully we can wrangle you some replacement stuff via ebay and such- everyone go on the look out!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm

eorious- OMG. That sob. Karma.....I'm praying karma bites him in his backside soooo freaking HARD. :teeth:

Did you have any signed things in there? I hope not.... I think you should email Eugene and see if he has any tips for getting hold of the airline *bad word for a group of people.* At the very least, you know he'll be able to relate completely.

(If I'd been on the right side of the plane when that announcement was made, I probaly would have wound up in someone's lap trying to see and get pics of the tornado...)

hurt-feelings- wow! Great pic!! And yep, it is cool to see that he just really likes the animal tshirts. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed May 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Ah man eorious I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your luggage. I really hope you get everything back soon. And thanks hurt_feelings for sharing your pics :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Wed May 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Oh dear, eorious - I'm so sorry. That really does suck. But you should definitely find a way to tell Eugine about it...he would totally sympathize with you. Maybe you could get him to write one of his signature "angry letters" to United...... :lol:

"Dear United Airlines...I HATE YOU!!" :roll2:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Thu May 28, 2009 5:36 am

songbird wrote:Oh dear, eorious - I'm so sorry. That really does suck. But you should definitely find a way to tell Eugine about it...he would totally sympathize with you. Maybe you could get him to write one of his signature "angry letters" to United...... :lol:

"Dear United Airlines...I HATE YOU!!" :roll2:

Yeah, if I had one of his postcards I could just cross out "Delta", write in "United" and send it on it's way. The little crying crayon figure pretty much sums up how I feel.

LauraK, your comment about karma makes me smile -- I really do believe karma will catch up to him eventually. I've seen it happen. :) Anyway, thanks to all of you for being so supportive in my time of distress. :bighug:

On another topic -- hurt_feelings, your photo with Bret is gorgeous! Just look at his perfectly tousled hair... I'm sure his dad didn't mind taking the photo, I bet it thrills him to see that his son is so loved by all of us. :D

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”