Post tour group hug and catch up corner

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Post tour group hug and catch up corner

Postby Sherry » Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 pm

So long, fair well, auf wiedersehen, adieu......

Yes, that time you have all been dreading, the new Paris Hilton reality series.... wait, erm, the end of the Conchords tour has arrived.

So, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people can reminisce about the tour. Talk about your personal highlights, favourite songs live, the clothes, the shoes, Nigel, the meet and greets, the good/lousy seats you had, the people you met. O and maybe a couple of guys aswell. So pretty much everything then.

Please try to keep it swoon free in this thread. Not just the ladies posting to it and I'd like this to be a swoon free zone so everyone feels able to join in if they wish. Cheers

8)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Post tour group hug and catch up corner

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue May 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Great idea, boy do I need this. I just want to thank everyone who took the time to post a recap, upload a photo, or share their personal experiences and feelings about the Flight of the Conchords 2009 North American Tour. I feel so fortunate to be one of said North Americans, and to have had the privlege of attending one of the concerts. I can only imagine how important this message board is to those not even on our continent.

So a BIG group hug from me to Sherry and all those responsible for putting this WTF "family" together. You just can't have too many friends and WTFer's are the greatest. :clap:

I think my favorite song live was Sugalumps, and not for the obvious reasons. I was so shocked/surprised/delighted by the totally different arrangement of the song that I knew so well, and I really like the slow version. I like surprises! :halo:

The banter was priceless too. When a gal shouted, "I really, really like you Jemaine." And the guys went to town. (paraphrased to the best of my memory)
"Wow, thanks. Bret get's 'I love you', and I get 'I really, really like you'."
"Yeah, she didn't sound too enthusiastic about it either."
"That's ok. We really, really like you Chicago, but we LOVE Minneapolis."
:jc:
Image..Image..Image

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

I for one am sad that the tour is over... because it means no new giggles in the morning. But on the other hand I am kinda glad because now they can sleep in, watch the Price is Right while eating a giant bowl of cereal and maybe work on some new material :wink:

And the same goes for Sherry; take a week off. I am eternally grateful for your work in corralling all of the information and pictures, since it made starting the day here in the cubicle of doom quite pleasant.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Tue May 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Hooray! I love hugs. :D Seriously though, what an adventure! I just joined the forum, but I am already reaping the benefits of being part of such a wonderful online community! Thank you to everyone for posting your reviews and pics, so that the rest of us could enjoy the show too. I will admit, I was very blessed to have a dream Conchords meet'n'greet, but I could hardly see the actual show from the nosebleed seat I had. So I would especially like to thank the WTFers who had premium up-close seats, for taking so many wonderful concert pics and videos! (especially Sugalumps, hee hee!)

Oh, and the biggest thanks of all to the guys! It's amazing how they could be so charming and funny night after night. I hope they'll get some time to relax at home with their families.

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue May 26, 2009 7:15 pm

I too am sorry to see the tour come to an end.

I enjoyed the pics and updates from all the shows that were posted.

Hopefully, this will encourage two things: 1) A tour next year 2) A third season

Heres to the one that grants wishes :prayer:

Cheers,

JoAnn

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue May 26, 2009 7:19 pm

What a privilege it was to see not one, but two shows in a row! Getting to see them in Las Vegas and Los Angeles just made my year! I feel so lucky that I got such great seats at the last minute and I owe a lot of that to being a member on this board. Not only did I get to meet Jemaine but I also got to meet some great people from WTF!

Awww...group hugs and warm, fuzzy feelings! :smiles:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Aww I've had such a great time keeping up with all the antics of the North American Tour! I can't thank everyone enough for all their input when it came to typing up detailed accounts of the live shows and meet and greets, posting pics, videos, reviews etc. Thanks Sherry for all your hard work keeping up with all the shows and to all you wonderful WTF-ers :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue May 26, 2009 8:03 pm

First of all, I want to say that this tour was AMAZING! It marked so many "firsts" for me, personally, and I had such a GREAT time. The guys put on such a fabulous show, really.

Also want to say to Laura, ardy and Michael especially that it was SO great meeting you guys, and Michael was the perfect concert date :) (I'm excited to see you in a few days, Michael!) It really wouldn't have been nearly such a fun night without you guys there!

Some memories from the Detroit shows:

-Detroit marking the first time the guys have had panties given to them (thrown or placed on stage). How proud we all should be :roll:
-The girls interrupting Business Time with the panties and Bret very surprisedly saying, "Have a good night! Cheers..." as security dragged them off.
-Nigel calling us a "viry handsome audience" with Jemaine's response, "Hear that Detroit? Nigel likes you!"
-NO FREEBIRD CALLING AT EITHER SHOW! :clap:
-Jemaine calling us (the audience) "The Supremes" after hearing us sing the chorus of "Carol Brown"
-Bret saying we would all remember the day FOTC brought rap to Detroit :rolls:
-Jemaine and Bret calling out the one dude singing in the chorus of Carol Brown. "Did you think we wouldn't notice? Or did you just think we wouldn't have a sense of gender?"
-Mark taking awhile to bring the faders down during "Think About It" and Jemaine saying it was because he was getting ...(my paraphrasing to keep things relatively clean) serviced. And then saying "S...Sorry Detroit." and then Bret promising they'd clean it up for the later show :lol:

I have to say my FAVORITE song they did was Bus Driver's Song - just because it's my favorite anyway, then to hear it with the "new" harmonizing with Nigel. It was breathtaking. Second to that was Stana - I still listen to it every day and actually have my son doing Stana's evil laugh.

Meeting them was just...too amazing for words. I seriously can't say it enough - how personable, sweet, kind and gracious these guys are. They deserve all the happiness and success in the world. I have a very tender spot in my heart for both of them.

I hope they come back in the not-too-distant future and grace us with their presence again! :yay:

But for now...I miss them already :cry:

silentflighty
Giving the paper to the people

Postby silentflighty » Tue May 26, 2009 8:32 pm

A big thanks to everyone who shared recaps, pictures and experiences of the guys' North American tour 2009. I'm only a newbie in this forum, but from the beginning I've had such a great time being part of this wonderful community. An extra-big thanks to Sherry for all the hard work with the forum and the WTF! site.

Over the last couple of months Bret and Jemaine worked so hard making us happy night after night, they really deserve a big long rest and time off with their loved ones. Of course the selfish, hysterical-fan side of me would not be opposed to them combining their vacation with a short stay and a few performances in Europe :wink:
some people climb a ladder to success. we've dug a tunnel to success.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

I am really, really bummed the tour is over. I am more bummed about the tour being over than I was about my show being over. (Yes, MY show, lol. But I was nice and shared with the other several thousand people who turned up. ;)) Seriously, I am really going to miss all the new stories and videos and pictures that turned up every day. Thanks to everyone who posted recaps, hunted down stuff on YouTube and Flickr, and just let us all share in this wonderful experience together. I feel like I went to every show. Except there was a lot more grinning and jumping up and down at the show I actually did go to, lol.

Now Bret and Jemaine can go home and chill for a few weeks. I'm happy for them and I know they must need a break after all this but I have to say I am sad to let them go. New Zealand is just so..... far. :(

silentflighty

Postby silentflighty » Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote: Second to that was Stana - I still listen to it every day ...

You have a recording of Stana :shock: ? I loved that song at the show, any ideas where I could get a copy?
some people climb a ladder to success. we've dug a tunnel to success.

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Tue May 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Let's hope for a Europe tour, for the UK peeps.

I'd love to see them fill some non-english speaking country venues. Don't think that's happened before?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Pretty much what Kelly said, only for the 11 pm Detroit show. (minus the songs we didn't get, of course) :) It was fabulous meeting and hanging with Kelly, Michael and Ardy.

The excitement of getting there and seeing how close we were to them!! Just hearing all of these songs that I'd only recently discovered and loved being sung by these talented, funny guys was such a blast! Being pointed at by Jemaine during Sugalumps....having Bret's ligs and nether-regions thrust at us not 2 ft away! Curse that camera for the awful shot it took! Then of course- the meet and greet. I won't drone on too much, it's already here- suffice to say that I feel lucky and honored to have met them. They could not have been more gracious and kind and the way they personalized my son's picture was aces! We'll both treasure that pic! :)

Thanks to everyone who's posted a picture, many pictures, a video or many videos and all of the recaps----it's been great to have all of them to enjoy!

Thanks to Sherry for this board where I've found so many terrific new friends and hope to find more. :D

(I feel like I'm receiving an Oscar or something, lol!)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue May 26, 2009 10:58 pm

*feels warm and fuzzy inside* :yawinkle: :heart:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

kikiexpress

Postby kikiexpress » Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Can't believe the tour is over :(
Great performance for the Portland showing and had a great time bringing my friend along who is a new FOTC fan :)
Highlights of it for me was them performing FreeBird with their own lyrics put into it haha!
Their random conversations they do throughout the performance :)
Great concert overall and I hope they come back again someday for another great tour. Everyone who supported them on the tour and posted pictures and many other things kudos to you and personally thanks from me for sharing such an amazing experience for everyone.
ImageImageImage
We are one heart, one mind, one soul.
-Quote of my life

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”