April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Jem looks adorable in those hugging pictures! I'd only seen those avatar size before. And you all look so happy! (As I'm sure you were, you were being hugged by Jemaine, after all.) :D
I love that the boys are not afraid to get close and huggy with their fans. I once met Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips and when we were going to take a picture, he just grabbed me in the tightest hug ever, and I loved it!
Anyway, great pics! Thanks for posting those!
Image Image

curlisue
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby curlisue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Wow, those meet and greet photos are lovely, you all must have felt so warm and fuzzy after such lovely hugs :D
Sometimes when I'm freestyling...I lose confidence

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:14 pm

funny schipperke wrote:I love that the boys are not afraid to get close and huggy with their fans. I once met Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips and when we were going to take a picture, he just grabbed me in the tightest hug ever, and I loved it!
Aw neat. Wayne's a cutie.

I think there was mucho love at all these meet and greets. Mutual love - you know - the kind that's double sided. :wink:

B&J weren't timid about getting friendly. I saw Bret give one girl the biggest hug - he really scooped her up and squeezed her like crazy.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Yup, warm, fuzzy, amazed- lol. And yes, we did look celo-taped in all the hug pics, didn't we? :) They were just the best- really nice, down-to-earth guys. Unaffected. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:03 am

Funny story guys -

Went bowling with a bunch of people I work with the other day, and we got talking about my camera. I explained that I bought it specifically so that it would fit inside a woman's pad so I could sneak it into the FOTC show. They were all shocked and all, "TELL ME HOW YOU DID IT" so I explained how I opened up the pad, put the camera in there, wrapped the pad around it, put it back in its original packaging and taped it up good as new. After they got over the sure genius of it (haha), we started talking FOTC and David said he sent some of my pictures to his friend who apparently was also at the show. I guess this guy and his friend went out for beers after the show, not realizing the guys would come out to do a M&G. When the friend saw the pictures David sent him of Bret and I/Jemaine and I, he got SO jealous and upset. "YOU MEAN IF I WOULD HAVE WAITED I WOULD HAVE MET THEM!? NO EFFING WAY! DID THEY HAVE SPECIAL PASSES OR SOMETHING? NO EFFING WAY!" I guess. I just laughed.

I felt I should share :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:01 am

Now doesn't that make you feel good? :) (While feeling bad for that person, of course!)

My Mom was genuinely worried about my reaction if they hadn't done a M&G. I was absolutley, positively certain they'd come out. (While begging and praying on the inside, lol.)

Did you ask if this person happened to record the 11 pm show? :o (Doubtful in the extreme, I know....)
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 am

Shoot I didn't even think to ask. I will ask David tomorrow or...the next time I see him :) Doubtful yes, but still ... he might know someone who did...

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:20 am

i was at the tigers game on june 24th...we walked right by the fox theatre and me and the girls just stopped...tilted our heads...and smiled at the AWESOME memories of the night we were down there .... *sigh* :)
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:20 am

Exactly 2 months before, too! I wish I could do that - go past the theater where it all happened. *sigh*

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm

You can go to GoogleEarth and look at it....you can see clearly the gated area in back where the buses were, and even the fence they opened to come out and meet us. *SIGH* I was looking and thinking "Yep, that's right where we were all gathered that wonderful, windy night..."

I know, it's sad that I did that......
ImageImage

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 pm

That is a genius idea, Laura! I might just have to go on google earth now and check out Massey Hall...
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Cool, I'll google earth Tower Theater.

Re: what Kelly said about people not knowing about meet and greets, I think that's par for the course. I believe the majority of folks who went to their shows are casual fans who don't spend oodles of time looking them up online or belong to forums or know much about their history or live performances. They simply know the show and have maybe watched some YouTube vids etc. I think the M&G is only common knowledge within the more intense fandom of a couple of forums. Last year I went to the first show of the tour. My friend and I knew nothing about meet and greets. We joked about how it would be cool if we happened to run into them in town before the show and that kind of thing but there was no precedent of M&G so it wasn't even a thought in our heads. When we saw people gathered outside after the show we decided to join them and within 5 minutes they both came out and Jem headed right to me first. The timing couldn't have been better. Then a friend was jealous so we went after the show in NYC the next night and did the M&G thing again with her so she could meet them. Anyway, when you think about how many people attend a show (3,000 on average this tour) versus how many actually wait afterwards (a couple hundred tops) it seems that most people either don't know about it or don't care about it.
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm curious to know about the average number of fans waiting outside for meet and greets for each city. The amount of people waiting outside in Las Vegas and Los Angeles surprised me! There were about 20-30 people tops for each of these cities. Not that I'm complaining of course. I prefer a smaller crowd. I was just expecting more.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 pm

We had 19 in Chicago. I counted. I couldn't believe it was so few. :D
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Wow, those are low M&G numbers. Interesting.

I thought the Vegas one wasn't an "official" M&G- that folks saw Jemaine many hours after the show. Is that not right vmh?

I'm bad at estimating but in NYC I'd say maybe 50 people waiting, in Philly I tried to count and stopped at 100 so it was probably more like 125 or so & in Berkeley about 40.
Last edited by SheWolf on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”