April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

Postby songbird » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Hmm, in Toronto I'd have to guess there were about 100 people. Maybe 125.

I think the numbers are gonna vary wherever you go. Certain shows may have just happened to have more fans who were in the know about the meet and greets, while other shows may have had more people who simply watched the TV show or were casual fans.

SheWolf wrote:Re: what Kelly said about people not knowing about meet and greets, I think that's par for the course. I believe the majority of folks who went to their shows are casual fans who don't spend oodles of time looking them up online or belong to forums or know much about their history or live performances. They simply know the show and have maybe watched some YouTube vids etc. I think the M&G is only common knowledge within the more intense fandom of a couple of forums. Last year I went to the first show of the tour. My friend and I knew nothing about meet and greets. We joked about how it would be cool if we happened to run into them in town before the show and that kind of thing but there was no precedent of M&G so it wasn't even a thought in our heads. When we saw people gathered outside after the show we decided to join them and within 5 minutes they both came out and Jem headed right to me first. The timing couldn't have been better. Then a friend was jealous so we went after the show in NYC the next night and did the M&G thing again with her so she could meet them. Anyway, when you think about how many people attend a show (3,000 on average this tour) versus how many actually wait afterwards (a couple hundred tops) it seems that most people either don't know about it or don't care about it.

I agree, that sounds about right. I'm actually really lucky that I found out about the meet and greets, because I only joined WTF! after the show when I was googling for reviews or videos of the Toronto show and came across the forum topic. I just happened to be looking at the FOTC Facebook page and people were writing stuff like, "thanks to the guys for coming out and meeting people!". That's really the only way I knew about it. I guess not everybody is lucky enough to come across stuff like that, because I've heard a bunch of stories of people who were at shows but didn't even know the meet and greets were taking place.

By the way SheWolf, I must say that I love your sig :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:16 pm

It makes sense to me that most people aren't into it. I generally have no desire to meet performers after I see them. FOTC are the exception. And it's really not entirely about me meeting them, since it's not like I have anything much to say to either of them, it's just more about being there and soaking in the special vibe of 2 lovely guys who are so genuinely nice to their fans. Though I was fortunate to be able to talk to Jemaine and get a picture last year in NYC what I really valued most about that night was that I was able to document the event photographically. I went into paparrazzi mode and had the best time capturing all of these little moments they were having with fans. That was very special. I wasn't able to do that this year and it really would have been nice to have been able to.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 am

At the Detroit show I think Laura and I counted about 40 at its highest. Some people left after Bret came out and we were waiting for Jemaine. By the time Jemaine came out I would guess it to be around 30 tops.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:33 am

SheWolf wrote:
I thought the Vegas one wasn't an "official" M&G- that folks saw Jemaine many hours after the show. Is that not right vmh?

I'm not even sure what an official FOTC M&G entails! :lol: I don't think I've been to a proper one. Jemaine came out about 2 hours after the show ended in Vegas. That was good enough for me. I felt lucky that he came out at all.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:54 am

Hm, on Google earth right now, it's only showing the Fox as a Grey building. So I went to Googls Maps, Satellite view and got this. The blue "D" is right on the huge FOX sign....I could've gotten closer but then it wouldn't have shown the entire bldg.

The x's show where we were when they came out. Do you like how well I drew the buses? It's almost like they're there, huh? :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

songbird

Postby songbird » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:01 am

Excellent drawing of the buses, Laura. Very impressive :wink:

Image Image

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:38 am

Here's a slightly more comprehensive map...
aerial_view.jpg

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 pm

vmh wrote:
SheWolf wrote:I thought the Vegas one wasn't an "official" M&G- that folks saw Jemaine many hours after the show. Is that not right vmh?
I'm not even sure what an official FOTC M&G entails! :lol: I don't think I've been to a proper one. Jemaine came out about 2 hours after the show ended in Vegas. That was good enough for me. I felt lucky that he came out at all.
You were totally lucky coz by that time in the tour they weren't coming out much at all. Which reminds me, I'd like to go back through the tour dates and see how many M&G they did, where they did them and where they didn't. Maybe we could have a poll for that. Hmmm.. :hrm:

I guess by "official" M&G I meant that there is security outside and and established place to gather and both guys come out. I thought the people who met Jemaine in Vegas met him at something like 3 in the morning when he was probably leaving and security etc had gone home. I guess not.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Coolio Atom and Laura. I love the google street view. So as not to dork up the Detroit vibe any further I put my M&G views where they belong, check it out, ah memories...

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2289&p=78750#p78750
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:34 pm

Bad Atom wrote:Here's a slightly more comprehensive map...
aerial_view.jpg

Laughing out loud at your post Bad Atom! I wanna do one for the Chicago m&g. If only I had skills like you and Laura. :bang:
Image..Image..Image

songbird

Postby songbird » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Bad Atom, love that you crossed out bus and wrote bus. Just had a good long laugh :lol:

Image Image

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

No, security was there in Vegas. The security guy took our picture in fact. :D

I would say it was an official M&G, just without Bret. Isn't it normal to have to wait for two hours? I heard Bret came out about an hour and a half after Jemaine had gone back inside (I was back inside the venue myself when that happened). I think someone must have told him that three sad fans were still waiting out there for him and he took pity on them, because everyone else had left at that point.

I've been curious about which cities got M&Gs too. Milwaukee did not, and I counted at least 125 people waiting.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:46 pm

I don't know what a normal wait time is. Last year the 1st time I saw them I waited literally 5 minutes but that's only coz we had gotten in the car to go home, gotten gas, parked and then walked over so maybe it was 45 minutes after the show. In NYC it was about 45 minutes and this year in Philly I'd say the same. I've heard of 2-3 hr waits though.

Okay maybe I can set up a poll here where we can list the tour dates and people can vote yes or no as to if there was a M&G or no. Should be interesting.
90% evil
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 pm

I was totally expecting a 2-3 hour wait. I was all prepared to stand for as long as I needed in order to meet the guys. But I only ended up waiting about 20 minutes or so before Bret came out, and then another 20 minutes after that for Jem to come out. I was so shocked at how efficient and quick the whole thing had been!

Ya, a poll on this topic would be interesting. Would love to analyze the results (cuz I'm cool like that :wink: ).

Image Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:29 pm

songbird wrote:But I only ended up waiting about 20 minutes or so before Bret came out, and then another 20 minutes after that for Jem to come out.

Same for Detroit actually. About 25-30 minutes for Bret, and then another 20-30 minutes for Jemaine.

There was one security guy following Bret around, but by the time Jemaine came out, the security guy just stood by the fence and Jemaine roamed freely without any security detail. It was SUPER laid back. We were just all standing out near/in the street in downtown Detroit at 3 in the morning. :D

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”