April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Google Maps is getting a little too voyeuristic for my tastes... but here's the exact location of the meet-and-greet:

fence.jpg

Bret: I feel like I'm in prison.
Me: Jump the fence!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:47 am

Wow. That's just....wow. Voyeuristic is right.

I think I read somwhere about Google peeps going around snapping these pics and that none with people in them were to be used.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:38 pm

LauraK wrote:I think I read somwhere about Google peeps going around snapping these pics and that none with people in them were to be used.
Whot?

I'm addicted to street view. I'm a very visual traveller so I thought it came in handy for finding my hotel before arriving in Oakland.

I typed in 97 Aro St Wellington NZ (site of Aro Video performance) & took a little tour of the very quaint Aro Valley as well as a little jaunt around Cuba Mall & St. I'm tired from my travels and will now put my feet up.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:24 pm

It's what I recall....have you seen any of the street-views with people in them? Now I'm curious..... :)
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:35 pm

LauraK wrote:It's what I recall....have you seen any of the street-views with people in them? Now I'm curious..... :)

Yep, at least in the UK but their faces are meant to be blurred out. There were some incidents when this wasn't the case but on the whole they are.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:18 pm

LauraK wrote:It's what I recall....have you seen any of the street-views with people in them? Now I'm curious..... :)
Yeah there are people there. It's a roaving van that takes the footage I believe right? Don't know how they could do it without people unless they edit them out.

Edit - just double checked some of the things I've looked up to be sure and while there are people in all of them they are considerably fewer than I would expect and there can be long stretches of a street before you see anyone- like Cuba St for instance the shops aren't open. Maybe they film very early in the AM or on a Sunday?
90% evil
ImageImage

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 am

Wow, thanks to my search for the exact spot on the sidewalk that I met and touched B and J I'm discovering a whole new world with Google Earth. This is good fun :D
Will post in the appropriate thread when I find what I'm looking for...I'm still pretty bad at using the program, but slowly getting the hang of it...
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 am

Isn't it cool?? It's so easy to get lost on Google Earth.....
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:02 am

LauraK wrote:Isn't it cool?? It's so easy to get lost on Google Earth.....

Both figuratively and literally! I find it so easy to lose my place on the map...

Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:15 am

Me too! Just zoom in slower and adjust the map as it zeroes in.....

Our house pic is from over a year ago cuz we can see our neighbor's car in the back yard that's long been sold. Wonder how often they update the pics?
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:19 am

I know, the one of my house is old too, because our backyard neighbors are missing the trampoline that is currently in their backyard. Hmm, I have no idea how often they update the pics. I'd guess once a year at the most? That's probably all they need to anyways.

Image Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:52 pm

Yeah there was quite a big debate about Google Street View when it was first introduced in the UK as some people think that it was an invasion of privacy, a haven for potential criminal activity for example burglars planning how they will steal from certain houses etc. I find it pretty interesting though and I've seen the Google cars with those 360 degree cameras on top of them which take photos driving around on a couple of occasions. They do generally take pictures when the roads aren't too busy and they don't take pictures when it's raining.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:05 pm

songbird wrote:I know, the one of my house is old too, because our backyard neighbors are missing the trampoline that is currently in their backyard. Hmm, I have no idea how often they update the pics. I'd guess once a year at the most? That's probably all they need to anyways.
I wonder what dictates what streets they do. My street isn't on there and I've checked many family and friends addresses and none are on there either.
90% evil
ImageImage

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:40 am

Holy crap, I just found my apartment. My stalker will have no trouble finding me... :worry:

I'm just worried that someone might Google Map the streets of New Zealand and track the guys down. (Don't get any ideas!)

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:16 am

We parked right across from the meet and greet area in the parking garage...Like I mentioned in another thread, didnt get to stay for meet and greet and no pics due to faulty cell phone.....

BUT

Hubby and I were sitting in row F on Jemaine's side....at some point in the show, Jemaine made eye contact with me(at least Im telling myself that!)...I felt like he was staring me down! He looked for sooo long! I thought it was because of my Jemaine-like glasses (in purple) but I guess someone else attested to long eye contacts?...anyhoo, I froze cause im very shy...i smiled like a big dork, and I wanted to wink or wave or something, but like I said, I froze and blushed...I couldnt even look away, he had me locked in his wonderful gaze! So he's strumming away (I dont even remember what song it was...It must have been a part that Bret was singing, cause Jemaine wasnt singing, just looking my way and playing his guitar.......I think I almost peed my pants...AND hubby was next to me to boot!

its probably a good thing that we didnt get front row tickets.. I cannot imagine jemaine waving his sugalumps in my face with my husband sitting right next to me....I would have died of embarrassment.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”