Meet and Greet Analysis

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Postby DaMango » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I see that the May 13th Seattle show was already marked YES, but here are the other details. The wait time was less than an hour (which was better than the 1am ETA given to us by a crew member). Bret appeared first, then Jemaine came out about 10-15 minutes later. I would say there were about 30 people waiting, not too many. My review and pics are in the gig thread (including Bret's awesome gesture of getting a dedicated fan into the next show for free!) Sure there were a few details left out, mainly to keep me from embarrassing myself. LOL!

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:49 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:
mockingbird wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:My friend was ready to take my pic with the J-God, er I mean the J-Dog, and Jemaine says something blissfull like, "How do you want me?" and my friend says boldly (as rehearsed), "She would really like a hug picture." I was so embarrassed that I quickly said (like a flipping idiot) "No, no just take the picture." and then :whitey: (enter the good stuff) he put his arm around me, and I put my arm around him, then flash, moment over. From the look on his face in our picture, he probably thought I was grossed out at the thought of a hug from him. :bang: If he only knew...

Awww. Nonob I can so relate to what you're feeling. All of a sudden there I was, standing next to Jemaine. I had a clear intention of making specific comments and compliments & had a couple questions ready. Then when it really happened I was just so flustered I could not settle enough to even speak coherently. My friend Nikki was going to be taking the picture. I was with Nikki who recently moved to Vegas. She knew how out of my mind excited I was and how much I adore & love Jemaine. He doesnt even that Nikki (who met me at the venue after the show) forgot to bring the gift that I made for them & when Jem finally did come out being the great friend that she is Nikki immediately hopped into a cab & ran back to get the gift whilst I waited for my turn with Jem. She was back in a flash with the gift, bless her. She urged me over to him (with some nudging from some WTF buddies too as I remember it hahahaha) and next thing I know im standing next to him. Jem looked at the scrapbook/photo album & asked would you like a picture with the album & of course I never hesitated. Nikki pointed the camera toward us and loudly in front of this crowd she says to Jemaine "ok now give her a kiss on the cheek ok"?, go ahead. He seemed like he was going to go right along with it but I was so so so embarrased and feeling shy then that I said no no no, frantically waving my hands in the air and the entire crowd watching & chuckling about it. Jem said well I dont think that she is comfortable with that! OMG. I felt like such a total a**. I wanted to die because of course I wanted to scoop him up and hug him endlessly. I couldnt even say aything the words wouldnt come out. Well he did have to move on fairly quickly he had a crowd there & was trying to get to everyone, mind you it was 230am-300am he had to be exhausted. I took several pictures for friends & I wondered if he thought that he was somewhat objectified by me because when I took pics for friends & then walked over to ask if the pic I took was ok with my only intent being to make sure that this viry viry important pic was just right for the person I was taking it for, wonder if that came off as rude. After taking one pic (I think the one of Jem & Vmh) he said well im pretty happy with that one and I blurted out Jemaine you couldnt take a bad picture, omg, dorke dorke dorked again. He will run next time he sees me coming and would I blame him, no! Gosh so many things that I did and regret. I carefully thought it all through beforehand & had a plan thinking that I would handle it with some integrity, well that flew out the window once I was standing next to him. Next time and I cant wait for that next time, meanwhile it meant more than anything in the world to me that he took the time to meet with all of us and it will forever be the most exciting to experience of my life. Having the guys here and being able to attend the shows certainly did give me the happiest time of my life.
Last edited by 4everconchordsfan on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 pm

My analysis of the meet and greet is pretty bleak because I was freaking out inside during the whole thing. But I will say one thing: If it hadn't been for Michael and Laura being there with me, I wouldn't have gone through with it. I know that much. They were my support for the whole thing :)

Also, Laura...this is as close as I could get to capturing that moment you were speaking of:

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:13 pm

LauraK: What about Bret? Any Bret tidbits for me? Er, I mean, us?
Image..Image..Image

DaMango

Postby DaMango » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:21 pm

What is it about Jemaine's presence??? I don't know why, I was fairly cool and confident around Bret, but a bumbling idiot around Jemaine! I tried to explain something to him, but it wasn't coming out right, so I just stopped talking about it and asked for a picture instead, LOL! Then, it took forever to take the picture, because we had to move into enough light for my phone to take a half way decent photo. No wonder Jemaine looked so tired in it, I just plain wore him out!

Then I made the mistake of trying to talk to him again, this time about Prince, and that didn't come out right either. Note to self: Never talk to Jemaine again, just smile and wave.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 pm

4everconchordsfan wrote:I took several pictures for friends & I wondered if he thought that he was somewhat objectified by me because when I took pics for friends & then walked over to ask if the pic I took was ok with my only intent being to make sure that this viry viry important pic was just right for the person I was taking it for, wonder if that came off as rude. After taking one pic (I think the one of Jem & Vmh) he said well im pretty happy with that one and I blurted out Jemaine you couldnt take a bad picture, omg, dorke dorke dorked again. He will run next time he sees me coming and would I blame him, no! Gosh so many things that I did and regret. I carefully thought it all through beforehand & had a plan thinking that I would handle it with some integrity, well that flew out the window once I was standing next to him. Next time and I cant wait for that next time, meanwhile it meant more than anything in the world to me that he took the time to meet with all of us and it will forever be the most exciting to experience of my life. Having the guys here and being able to attend the shows certainly did give me the happiest time of my life.

Thank you again for taking that picture of Jem and me! My camera was on strange behavior that night. I'm looking for a new one. I felt embarrassed when we tried to get that group shot of us and Arj and Arj was like, "WoaaH! Triple flasher!" :lol:

I seriously doubt that he's going to run from you. Check out the picture of him smiling while reading your card! I know you have several times already but check again. That photo album is one of the sweetest things I've seen a fan give to them. You put a lot of work into that and I bet he appreciated it. In fact, I'm sure the next time you meet him, he'll probably remember you-If not by face, then at least by the gift. Ask him for a hug next time! It'll make everything better.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:35 pm

DaMango wrote:What is it about Jemaine's presence??? I don't know why, I was fairly cool and confident around Bret, but a bumbling idiot around Jemaine!...

I totally agree, although with my newfound adoration for Mr. McKenzie I wonder if I would freak out with him, too. Or maybe it has something to do with how outgoing Bret is. He does a lot of the work and makes it easier, at least that's how it was for me.
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:54 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:Ooooo SheWolf, your "good part" was very, very good. He was quite the "eager boy"! :D More details? I can't get enough.
There aren’t too many details as I didn’t interact with him aside from the hug and taking a couple of pics of him with others.

He was an eager hugger with me and it sounded like he was that way with others as well. I didn’t feel weird asking him. It wasn’t awkward. He didn’t hesitate. He initiated. I think he likes us ladies & he likes our hugs so I’d say to anyone – give that dude a cuddle!

I knew I had wanted a hug picture but until that moment I had never considered what that really meant. I think I was expecting us to stand side by side, each of us with one arm around the other. So when I got this full on hug it took me a second to process it. There was a moment when a little voice inside my head said “He’s hugging you and you’re not hugging him” so then my arms went into motion. I don’t really remember how he felt but I remember the way his hands felt on my back. He kind of pulled me towards him a bit but in a respectful way. He wasn’t squeezing me but he had me locked up good and tight.

Agree totally with FS – I would never ask him to get down on bended knee or anything like that. I don’t want him to feel like a performing monkey – do this, do that, now dance. To his credit he is completely accommodating. I’ve never heard of him denying any request.

Non ob – I can’t believe Jem said “how do you want me?” What a loaded question. I think I’d have had a saucy smirk on my face if he had asked me that.

I feel badly when I read of people getting nervous and not being able to get what they wanted out of the situation. I’m sure you are all being too hard on yourselves. Bottom line is you got the job done, you got to meet them, you got pics, you delivered awesome gifts, and it’s all good.

I wasn’t nervous in their presence. I’ve never met a person who elicited that response in me so I guess I should check to see if I have a pulse :lol: . I think there is something really humbling and cool about seeing that they are real human beings and I see it as a somewhat vulnerable position to venture into a group of strangers and just comply with their every wish. It's a lovely thing to see how FOTC treat their fans. Their
awesomeness knows no bounds. :prayer:
Last edited by SheWolf on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:56 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:LauraK: What about Bret? Any Bret tidbits for me? Er, I mean, us?

Hehe...my total Jemainia is showing, I guess! :oops:

Bret was soooo cool.....veryvery accomodating and sweet, not rushing, and when he got to us we were the last 6-8 people, I think. (We made sure to be absolute last for Jemaine as he came out after Bret!)

When it was my turn, I showed him jake's pic and was telling him how much he loved them and would have been there if not for his asperger's and the problem with loud noises. Bret just grabbed the picture out of my hand and started writing! I was all "uh...umm...you don't have to..." *blush* *happy* And I watched him write out the binary solo, draw his robot-doodle and sign it. Then he graciously signed my S1 DVD, their CD and my Band Meeting t-shirt...which he signed on my back. He may have asked me what I'd like and I think I said surprise me, lol. He wrote what looks like "Laura- ......um......- Bret McKenzie" and then an X under his name. :heartbeat: Then I got my pic standing next to him and I was happy as a clam! I immediately began praying that Jemaine would also come out.....

Bret was awesome. He spent a lot of time with our group, hehe, and was really great with Michael and his bro. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 pm

When 4ever said her friend told Jemaine she wanted a kiss that reminded me. There was someone at my M&G who said to Jemaine that, for her picture, she was going to pretend to kiss him. This was happening 2 feet in front of me. He plastered himself to the wall and slid down a good foot so his cheek would be even with her mouth and he looked right at me for a split second while he said to her "and what would be the difference between you pretending to kiss me and actually kissing me?" :purple:
Last edited by SheWolf on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:04 pm

OH......in my dreams, I can imagine that I'd say "let me show you the difference...." Image
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm

funny schipperke wrote:More M&G stories! :hammer: (please)

I need to live vicariously through you all since I didn't get to meet them. :cry:

Yea, ME TOO !! Its like reading a romance novel.... :heartbeat: :eyelashes: :D

Keep 'em coming !

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 pm

ItsAllRyche wrote:
funny schipperke wrote:More M&G stories! :hammer: (please)

I need to live vicariously through you all since I didn't get to meet them. :cry:

Yea, ME TOO !! Its like reading a romance novel.... :heartbeat: :eyelashes: :D

Keep 'em coming !

It's totally is... :lol: Let's hear some more, so those of us who haven't met them know what to do and what not to do if we're lucky enough to get the chance to see them in person.

DaMango

Postby DaMango » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:28 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:
DaMango wrote:What is it about Jemaine's presence??? I don't know why, I was fairly cool and confident around Bret, but a bumbling idiot around Jemaine!...

I totally agree, although with my newfound adoration for Mr. McKenzie I wonder if I would freak out with him, too. Or maybe it has something to do with how outgoing Bret is. He does a lot of the work and makes it easier, at least that's how it was for me.

Yes, Bret's confidence did help drive the conversation. I consider myself fairly Bretero, but I was so eager to talk to him about music that I managed to supress my inner fangurl. He was more outgoing and "business-like" than I thought he would be. It was easy to keep my cool and joke with him. Though I did get nervous during picture time. My hands tend to do weird things when I'm nervous. When we put our arms around eachother's shoulders, my fingers started tapping wildly on his back as if I were playing piano, LOL! I stopped as soon as I saw what my fingers were doing, but it was like they had little minds of their own. Scary! I cannot believe I'm actually admitting to this. :lol:

Aside from that, my convo with Bret went well. I'm still kicking myself for not singing the song I wrote for him, or having the time to record it on CD for him. The lyric sheet I gave him is basically just a poem without the rest, sigh...

funny schipperke

Postby funny schipperke » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 pm

SheWolf wrote:When 4ever said her friend told Jemaine she wanted a kiss that reminded me. There was someone at my M&G who said to Jemaine that, for her picture, she was going to pretend to kiss him. This was happening 2 feet in front of me. He plastered himself to the wall and slid down a good foot so his cheek would be even with her mouth and he looked right at me for a split second while he said to her "and what would be the difference between you pretending to kiss me and actually kissing me?" :purple:

Was she blonde with her cleavage hanging out??
I saw some photos on facebook of some blonde girl that "pretended" to kiss each of them on the cheek and asked them to look like they were grossed out by it. Their grossed out faces were very convincing.
Image Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”