Collaboration Video!

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Re: Collaboration Video!

Postby biscuit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 pm

I just checked my cameras, one is too old, it has video, but without sound, the other one is too fancy :lol:

I managed to turn my own sound up a bit, and more or less get us in sync. Am making a vid now:) Will upload and send you link :wink:

We strum the DDUUD differently though, but I'm not sure if it'll matter much in the end if the others strum more like me, or you. You'll see what I mean in a wee while:)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 pm

I can't wait!

When I was listening to your mp3, it sounded like you were strumming down up chunk so that's how I did it

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:30 pm

I strum down chunk up up chunk :rock:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:46 pm

I just tried to do that and my brain exploded. There'd be no way I could do that kind of foreign strum (foreign to me, that is), and sing, and harmonize, and remember the words.

I sure hope it sounds alright besides because I really don't want to have to redo it :roll2:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:32 am

LauraK wrote:2 words, Nancy: Duct Tape.

:roll2: :rolls: :bounce:

Then I could record it on my "Camera Phone" :sing: :folkon:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 am

So, are you guys recording video separately and then trying to synch up with each other? I'm sure I'm being really annoying right now but is it possible to practice together via webcam? I don't know how many people you can talk to at once... then you could play together and record it directly to YouTube as you play... is that possible? It just seems like it would be really hard to synch up with people you've never played with, while not playing with them. I'm impressed that you are trying.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:00 am

biscuit explained it somewhere around here and told how another uke orchestra did it for a tribute to one of their own who passed away. They all listened to the same song in their ear using 1 earbud and played along so they all kept to the same beat.....so that's what they're doing. :) I bet it's gonna be terrific!

I'm so virgin to music and uke still, I didn't even know what you guys mean when you say chunk.....I had to go to YT and check. This guy's tutorial seems pretty good but this is intimidating.... :worry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TO74OzNyPM
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:34 pm

It's basically strumming and then instantly silencing the strings so that you get sort of a "chunk" sound. It's like making a beat while you play :rock:

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:29 pm

I couldn't chunck for the life of me, and I remember being super impressed by Kelly's One By One (go call) because of the chunking. And then suddenly one day I was just doing it :D I still don't know how it happened, but I suspect it came from playing a LOT!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Haha, I learned how to chunk from Alderine (www.ukuleleunderground.com) because I wanted to learn One by One (GO "CALL" :cheer:) and I knew chunking was part of it cause in the song you can physically hear the chunks.

Alderine is a great teacher for all things ukulele.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Ooo, that was helpful! I'll def be using his lessons, Kelly. I was actually chunking, but it made me realize how badly I need to practice strumming as I'd keep getting lost, lol. I'm trying to learn chords and get my finger placement correct...but I def need to make time to practice basic strumming, too. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:40 pm

*gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah* I seriously need an emoticon for insane rage right now. I was able to convert nonch's video from an 'unknown format' format to a file I could use the other day, but now it just won't work. There is no audio except for noise :evil:

I can't even make a mock-up now. :bang:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:05 am

:goodman: There, there, there. :goodman:

I'm headed to NYC to see Amy(my daughter). I'll be seeing a lot of her friends who might have some knowledge about the easiest way to do this. Poor biscuit - and you've been feeling crappy as well. :goodman: Hope you're feeling better and things get sorted out. I'll let you know Tuesday if I find out anything.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:52 am

biscuit wrote:*gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah* I seriously need an emoticon for insane rage right now. I was able to convert nonch's video from an 'unknown format' format to a file I could use the other day, but now it just won't work. There is no audio except for noise :evil:

I can't even make a mock-up now. :bang:

I just had to post and say I feel your pain, biscuit. :goodman: :drinkers: :partyman: I went through the exact same thing making the tour video. It's. So. Frustrating.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:23 am

Sorry Biscuit, home later than I thought, and with no tech news to help. :oops:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Uke players corner”