HBO Renews FotC for Second Season

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

HBO Renews FotC for Second Season

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:02 pm

From an HBO press release that has gone out today:

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 17, 2007 - HBO has renewed the hit comedy series ENTOURAGE for a fifth season and FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS for a second season, it was announced today by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment.
Currently debuting new episodes back-to-back on Sunday night (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), both series conclude their current season Sept. 2, and will return with new episodes in 2008.

"ENTOURAGE is a full-fledged cultural phenomenon, and FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS has quickly become a show to watch," said Strauss. "I'm delighted that we'll be bringing new seasons of these distinctive series to our subscribers."

I was directed to the info by a link to this blog that printed it. I'm off to hunt down further confirmation.

ETA: Variety is running the story, as well.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:21 pm

I just saw this posted on another site...I'm psyched!
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.

rcaste
Lost but happy at sea

Postby rcaste » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:26 pm

NICE

Its funny how Entourage is about glamour and riches.. while Conchords is like the opposite.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:35 pm

:woohoo:
I would have been ok with one season, but I am so happy they are doing a second. Good work, guys!!

HBO- your rock. :supz:

Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Ellen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:39 pm

Woo hoo!! That's wonderful news!! Congratulations to everyone who worked on the series!! Goodonya HBO!! :yay:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Yay! Big yay! Tremendous yay! Hurrah yay! Just plain yay! :yay: :yay:
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:24 am

Gayle wrote:Yay! Big yay! Tremendous yay! Hurrah yay! Just plain yay! :yay: :yay:

:shock:

Look!

It's Gayle!

Oh, yes, and Yay! ;)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:44 am

Andria wrote:
Gayle wrote:Yay! Big yay! Tremendous yay! Hurrah yay! Just plain yay! :yay: :yay:

:shock:

Look!

It's Gayle!

Oh, yes, and Yay! ;)
:thud:

mrquint
New arrival

Postby mrquint » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:12 am

flippin sweet ...

... although I could do without more Entourage. I can't relate to those dudes. I relate to FotC much more, sans the accent.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:52 pm

I've never seen an episode of Entourage. I don't really watch that much TV tbh, and whatever channel may show it over here, I certainly don't get :P

Mind you, if it really comes highly recommended I can look at dl'ing it someplace.

And congrats to the Bret, Jemaine, James Bobin and everyone else involved in the Conchords TV series. If the main cast and director are all ready willing and able to be involved second time around t'would be cool. Throwing in a Taika Waititi on occasion would be an added bonus :P

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 am

Whoa. This is unexpected. I wonder how they'll manage with writing a bunch of new songs?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:58 am

Amaria wrote:Whoa. This is unexpected. I wonder how they'll manage with writing a bunch of new songs?

I was thinking about this a little. Say they were doing an entirely new live show they would write about what, 10 songs for it? And then the material in between which is often improvised, but I'd think they would always have their set pieces of banter as it were.

Would take them a few months to cobble together the workings of a live show... Say they do another 12 episodes, then I'd imagine it'd be about that long. If they do a longer season (o please no, not the 22 episodes flog this horse to death sitcom syndrome), then it'd take longer. Less episodes (6 is always good :P ) would make for it being tighter, better plotlines and the chances are the songs would be the better ones, if taken from a larger pool of songs, rather than having some mediocre ones used in the odd episode (as happened in this series).

I certainly hope they don't bring in other writers for the songs. That'd be not good.

My other thought was they are possibly on Conchords burn out atm. I mean really, its been a long year and its still going. I'm wondering how they will get inspired to go back home and knuckle down to a whole new set of songs to build a new series round or a new series outline and having to write songs to fit it. The Conchords for Bret and Jemaine seems to have become what they always said they never wanted it to be... a full time project. However, I am also remembering they chose this second season, so that tells me they are ok with it.

Of course, it may be they don't do anything for 6 months and have a decent break and do other stuff. Then come back fresh and get to work and a new series comes out the end of 2008. But I've read about a possible tour sometime and then there is the album to promote (if they decide to).

I dunno, just all thoughts that crossed my mind :roll:

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:10 am

All those thoughts have crossed my mind as well.

I would much rather have this season end than have the show continue only for the quality to sink even lower (not that it's low right now - just not as high as I'd originally hoped) and, god forbid, for them to resort to hiring songwriters. That would be my biggest fear I think, for FoTC to become associated with substandard Hollywood humour, because that would be, in the worst sense, selling out (and not in the way Brian defines the term).

Though some good may come of it - if they do only 6 episodes, I do think the boys could write enough songs, and since they'll be writing songs specifically for the show, there won't be any episodes where songs are awkwardly incorporated into the storyline regardless of their relevance; since they'll be writing the plot and songs in one go, it'll make each episode a more cohesive creation, instead of a mesh of old material and new material. But then again, one wonders how the boys will manage writing songs when boxed within the regulation of plot.

But it's a done deal, and I guess we'll just have to see, Sherry. Regardless of how they manage, I'm sure the boys will be fine in the end.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:34 pm

I've had the same worries and concerns. At least with HBO, a slightly longer hiatus between seasons isn't unheard of, nor do they seem to have a problem with shorter seasons (i.e., 6 or 12 episodes), so hopefully that will all work in the second season's favor.

As for the songs for next season, are there going to be new songs on the upcoming album, or is that all just rehash of existing songs? In other words, maybe they already have a few new songs to include in next seasons.

Regardless, my only real fear is that they hire songwriters. That would be wrong on so many levels. :evil:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

discoboy
New arrival

Postby discoboy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:55 pm

i am amazed at the lack of faith everyone seems to have in the FOTC ability to write new songs?
uhmmm...why so negative?
it is exciting that in the next year or so we will get to hear new batch of fresh songs!

for the record "Entourage" is hillarious, endearing and also very popular.
FOTC is a very different show, but the two do sit pretty nicely next to eachother.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”