Your Favorite Recipes!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Re: Your Favorite Recipes!

Postby Red » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:01 am

:shock: Whoa, Em, that's a lot to do! I wish I had a recipe for a sauce that I had personally made before but I don't. I looked at a few online and this one looks easy and yummy. Might be worth a try. :dunno:

http://m.chow.com/site?sid=chow&pid=recipes.detail&articleId=18856

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:38 am

OK, I chopped a shallot really finely. I pan roasted it in about 6 tbsp of butter. I mixed about 2/3 c mayo and 1/3c sour cream. And then squirted in maybe 1/4c of the mustard. HOLY CRAP is it wicked AWESOME! It's gonna be even better tomorrow after it's sat in the fridge all night and all the flavors have mingled. I didn't really follow a recipe. I kind of mixed a bunch of tasty stuff together and then thought of the shallot. Have you ever seen Ina Garten's Pan Roasted Onion Dip, same idea. SOOOO incredible. I could seriously eat it all before the event on Thursday :worry:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 am

So Em, it definitely sounds like a winner. :tonqe:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:38 am

It is, I just ate it with a hard sourdough pretzel and it was delish. It's got this strong mustard horseradish overtone but then this sweet shallot finish. And it's creamy goodness. Tomorrow after the flavors mingle it's going to be even better. Mmmmmmm

Red

Postby Red » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:41 am

Glad you found something that will work. It sounds really good.

Red

Postby Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 am

I thought I'd share this super easy and delicious recipe that I tried for the first time this week. These are really good cookies and something a little bit different from the norm. They're kind of cake-y in consistency and the pumpkin and chocolate compliment each other well. A bit of a warning. This recipe makes about 5 dozen good sized cookies which was great for my 15 coworkers but may be a bit much for a small family. :D

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups butter (no substitutes), softened
* 2 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
* 1 egg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 cups quick-cooking oats
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:59 am

I gotta start making chocolate oatmeal cookies for Christmas soon. My grandma used to make them all the time. They are very popular in my family and kind of a pain to make, so I'm the only one that will make them anymore. Getting them at the right temp is the hard part. But they are what I guess you would call drop cookies. After you cook it on the stove, just drop it on some foil and wait for them to cool off and harden. So no baking involved which is nice. But they are really good, so when I find the recipe (I know I have it somewhere) I'll post it here. :)

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Oooh sounds good!

My mom made a cake top gingerbread puddinga few weeks back. She keeps talking about it but has YET to make it for me!

Did I tell you all that I roasted pears for the event. They couldn't have been easier and everyone LOVED them. I made them in bulk so I don't know what the exact measurement would be. But All I did was quarter Bosc Pears. Toss them with a ton of melted butter and a good bit of brown sugar. And bake until they give easily to a knife or fork. I don't even LIKE pears but they were incredible. If you need a holiday dish, this one will wow a crowd and they'll have no idea that it took you no time or energy.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:57 am

All of these sound soooo good, folks. :P :tonqe: :drool:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:16 am

Holy crap! My mom just turned me on to the most evil thing ever: melting cream cheese into Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (Kraft Dinner) instead of milk. Soooooooooo good.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:03 am

I used to make mac and cheese with sour cream instead of milk. Cream cheese sounds good too. :thumb:

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:22 am

Yeah, my mom usually makes it with sour cream which is pretty good. Cream cheese is better :D:D:D:D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:15 am

There must be something wrong with me - I never really cared for mac and cheese. :roll: Although your variations sound good. :D
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:41 am

Nancy wrote:There must be something wrong with me - I never really cared for mac and cheese. :roll: Although your variations sound good. :D

WOW! It's totally one of my go to comfort foods. Especially as I haven't had an appetite and am only really eating things that go down easy. Mac and cheese is one of them.

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Not quite favourites, but these are some of the healthy (well, healthier) recipes I've been cooking this week:
Spelt Pizzas - really filling
640 grms Spelt flour
435 mls water (warm)
6 grms Salt
6 grms Dried yeast
Pinch of Sugar
60 grms Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pinches Oregano

Spelt Pizza

Dissolve dried yeast in a little of the warm water, add all the sugar and a small amount of the spelt flour until it resembles a wet batter. Cover and leave for 5-10 mins for the yeast to activate.

Combine rest of ingredients to active yeast batter, and mix for 8-10 mins slow speed.

Take out of mixer and place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Rest for 45 mins, then scale into 160grms pieces, shape in to ball and rest for 10 min. Once rested your dough is ready for pinning out into pizzas

Add toppings (yum) - I used half fat mozzarella- couldn't really tell difference.

Bake for 8-10 mins, Gas mark 6

Tarragon Chicken

(Really Easy - spilt chicken breast - stuff with fresh tarragon and lemon. Wrap in tinfoil (with wine), make for 26 mins, gas mark 6. I served it with the lovely camargue rice.

Tuna stirfry (form Sophie Dahl's book)

2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 medium carrots, julienned
handful radishes, sliced
2 tbsp water
4-5 baby asparagus spears
small handful mangetout, sliced
15g/½oz butter
150g/5½oz fresh tuna steak
2 tsp tamari soy sauce
1 tsp acacia honey
1 lime wedge, for garnish

Method
1. Heat the sunflower oil in a wok, add the carrots, radishes and water and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the asparagus and mangetout, then stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the vegetables from the wok and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a frying pan until frothing and add the tuna steak. Sear each side for 1-2 minutes, depending on the thickness, until browned and cooked to your liking.
3. Pour the tamari soy sauce and honey into the wok and simmer for 1-2 minutes, then drizzle over the stir-fried vegetables.
4. To serve, spoon the stir-fried vegetables onto a serving plate, top with the tuna steak and garnish with a wedge of lime.
It's a psychological analogy

Return to “Off topic rambles”