May 5, 2008 -- Philadelphia/Upper Darby show

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Zap
Lost but happy at sea

May 5, 2008 -- Philadelphia/Upper Darby show

Postby Zap » Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 am

It's going on right now! This very minute! Wish I were there, but I'm not, so I'm looking for some Philly peoples to post up how it went! Spare no details!

Until then, I'll have to content myself with knowing the answer to the question, "I wonder what Bret and Jemaine are doing right now?"

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 am

Ahhhhhhhh one more day till NYC.

I know someone on another forum with great seats to the Philly show. He has not posted anything about it yet tonight.

Hope EVERYONE had a great time.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Wow

Postby LSully9 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:56 am

I got home from the show about a half hour ago! It was flippin awesome!! Pictures to follow, soonish... They're loading from the camera. A couple of new songs thrown in. Awesome!

Question: Did anyone keep track of the setlist? :shock: I lost myself halfway through.
Last edited by LSully9 on Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bjam
New arrival

Postby Bjam » Tue May 06, 2008 5:57 am

Oh my lord, it was wonderful. Except for a few drunk people who would be all "BOWIE! BOOOOOOOWIE!" :P

Highlights in bullet form!'

- Um. I met them! I had a discussion with Jemaine regarding my country of origin(England), and Bret commented on my shiny shirt. It was wonderous.

- Lots of nice stuff for sale! Shirts that say 'Blondes not bombs', 'Redheads not warheads, 'Brunettes not fighter jets'(these were all in ladies S, M, L), two Casio DG shirts(one black one white with grey), one yellow with 'Flight of the Conchords' in sorta swirly prints. Then the poster, CD, and record were there too. Shirts were $25, posters were... $10? I dunno, I just got a shirt :)

- Two new songs! One was a list song about break-ups and the chorus line was something like "But I hope you stick around". Rather cute. The other was about getting freaky! (Painting our bodies to look like chameleons to make loooove!) These had apparently never been performed and were played with the aid of lyrics on yellow paper!

- Two encores!

- Bret jumped into the crowd playing the keytar and some guy accidentally pressed the demo button. Cue the keytar playing 'Last Christmas' by George Michael. Wonderful! I sang along. Jemaine stopped playing, and Bret laid the keytar on the chair, and they both left the stage :D They then returned saying "Oh, we just got told we have to finish soon anyway".

Songs I can remember with ones I've probably forgotten! Inner City Pressure, Beautiful Girl, Bret You've Got It Going On, Mother*uckers(which they messed up first time, restarted, and it was still a little rusty :P) Bus Driver's Song, Business Time, Hiphoppapotamus, Humans Are Dead, Think About It, Albi, Something Special For The Ladies, Angels

That's all I can really remember at the moment. It was super duper good. (Though they were obviously under practiced, but they promised that that was because they've been writing for the new season! Wooo!)

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Tue May 06, 2008 6:42 am

Bjam wrote:
- Um. I met them!

:tonqe:

Were you able to get something signed? I guess im not bringing the album with me. If i can buy another copy and get that signed i will be in Conchords bliss. Im going to be anyway. Sounds like a great show. So jealous.

LSully9

Some pictures

Postby LSully9 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:52 am

Okay! Here's a few! Hope this works...

The guys were really excited to have a small supply of towels. Jemaine especially so...

One of many goodbyes...

But thankfully the kept comming back

And some outside shots:

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue May 06, 2008 12:25 pm

It was super duper good. (Though they were obviously under practiced, but they promised that that was because they've been writing for the new season! Wooo!)

That's their charm!!!!!!!!

Did they do "She's So Hot....Boom"?

Oooooh, my jealousy and despondency are overwhelming....here I sit like many other fans, ticketless on Long Island...they'll be just a few short miles away tonight.

And I tried so hard..... :(

Please, more pics

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Tue May 06, 2008 12:57 pm

wsdewitt wrote:
It was super duper good. (Though they were obviously under practiced, but they promised that that was because they've been writing for the new season! Wooo!)

That's their charm!!!!!!!!

Did they do "She's So Hot....Boom"?

Oooooh, my jealousy and despondency are overwhelming....here I sit like many other fans, ticketless on Long Island...they'll be just a few short miles away tonight.

And I tried so hard..... :(

Please, more pics

They didn't play "She's So Hot....Boom", alas, nor "Bowie" in spite of the bellowing drunks yelling out those titles. I was hoping for some booty-shaking.

But "Bus Driver's Song" and "Angels" were unexpected delights, especially when they said Jesus was onstage with them and they wanted the doors locked so we could hear their personal testimony. Wicked funny.

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue May 06, 2008 1:04 pm

But "Bus Driver's Song" and "Angels" were unexpected delights...

Awwwwwww.... :D

Bus Driver is my all time favorite

Please, all who saw the show, keep posting, I'm living vicariously through you.

pbrain
New arrival

Postby pbrain » Tue May 06, 2008 1:36 pm

They also did "Jenny." (I didn't see it on the set list posted above.)

I think the Casio was acting up, which is why they didn't do "Boom."

It was a good show, but there were a good number of people who drank way too much. The Keytar incident during the new "Freaky" song was gut-popping hilarious. I was still laughing about it hours later.

Also, given that so many people in front of us bought scalped tickets for hundreds of dollars a piece (I was keeping my eye on tickets since purchasing ours the day they went on sale), why were so many people getting up to pee? I've noticed that at other recent concerts, too. I'm talking about at least a dozen people in the pit area (each making his/her entire row stand up to let him/her out [then back into] the aisle)... couldn't you hold it?

Are small bladders a hidden cost of global warming or something? Whatever the reason, it's an annoying trend.

Oh, and I brought my new, untried cell phone which I now know takes awful photos in dark spaces, so my pictures are all useless. :(
Last edited by pbrain on Tue May 06, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:43 pm

They didn't play "She's So Hot....Boom", alas, nor "Bowie" in spite of the bellowing drunks yelling out those titles. I was hoping for some booty-shaking.

But "Bus Driver's Song" and "Angels" were unexpected delights, especially when they said Jesus was onstage with them and they wanted the doors locked so we could hear their personal testimony. Wicked funny.

The new songs were really sweet too. I think the "Get freaky tonight" one is my new favourite song.

Jemaine also did a pretty interesting version of Freebird (after some drunken screaming from the back of the room) as an American Idol contestant.

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:53 pm

pbrain wrote:I think the Casio was acting up, which is why they didn't do "Boom."

Yeah. Someone in front of me kept asking for it. Bret finally said "That guitar's not working" or something like that.

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Tue May 06, 2008 2:05 pm

pbrain wrote: Also, given that so many people in front of us bought scalped tickets for hundreds of dollars a piece (I was keeping my eye on tickets since purchasing ours the day they went on sale), why were so many people getting up to pee? I've noticed that at other recent concerts, too. I'm talking about at least a dozen people in the pit area (each making his/her entire row stand up to let him/her out [then back into] the aisle)... couldn't you hold it?

Are small bladders a hidden cost of global warming or something? Whatever the reason, it's an annoying trend.

I am sooo glad you said that! I thought I was turning into a grumpy old woman when we saw Crowded House last December and lots of people kept doing that in front of us (and we were in the first 15 rows)!! It's a very annoying habit.....

It sounds like it was a great gig though, I'm looking forward to reading reports from all the gigs in the US!

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue May 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Guess they must be big beer drinkers or something. I wouldn't want one iota of alcohol fogging my mind during their concert. You gotta stay sober to really ingest, understand and laughingly appreciate all the subtle and not so subtle statements they are making. If you're in a fog of any kind, you're going to miss the greatest stuff.

The way they stick it to Bowie...ahhhh...I grew up on Bowie, I love seeing these guys point out his absurdity - my crowd all worshipped him - I love the way they expose him. They have the perception and hindsight of much older people yet still have the youth that let's them speak it out - how they do it, I don't know - but they've got it going on.

Bus Driver hits my heart having been born in '53' - yeah, we really do feel that way...how do they know this???

Keep posting - more details - any little thing.

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Tue May 06, 2008 3:23 pm

As for the "bathroom break wave" happening all over the place, at least in my section (upper right balcony) the folks around us stayed in their seats. When people in the front row started coming & going, I thought the guys would call them out on it. That's got to be super distracting.

I agree that you shouldn't be shitfaced if you want to catch all the subtle humor the guys use. Dane Cook they ain't! There was a stark raving drunk chick in the far left balcony that I wanted to taser, she was screaming s*** during the songs and standing up to flail around (was that dancing?). I think security actually spoke to her. If I was sitting anywhere near her, I'd be homicidal.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”