May 6th & 7th Town Hall Theater NYC

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

May 6th & 7th Town Hall Theater NYC

Postby onewithdog » Tue May 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey FotC fan. Im about to head out to leave for the big apple.
Hope everyone enjoys the show and i will be back to post impressions, set lists and hopefully a few pics later tonight.

Zap
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Zap » Wed May 07, 2008 2:15 am

Looking forward to the report! You're deep in the set, if things go off as they did last night!

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed May 07, 2008 4:39 am

Good for you dog. I know you've been waiting since at least last summer to see the guys.

I'm sure it was worth the wait!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Tuesday Night at Town Hall

Postby Nancy » Wed May 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Hello fellow FOTC fans!
This is my first post, but I've been reading all of your input for awhile. I saw the guys last night, and had a totally terrific time! Todd Berry opened and only had to deal with one sweet "Arf, arf". The audience was very enthusiastic, but no sign of the Pa. drunks I read about - no shouts of "Bowie" from where I sat (Orch, row G, through Ticketmaster). The guys were superb, as has been reported from the Pa folks. They were on from about 8:40 til 10:25, and they played just about everything you'd want to hear. The new tunes were great - their lyrics are sooo funny! I need to hear them again to catch the lyrics I missed while laughing. It sounds as though they did the same songs as in Pa., although in different order. I met Todd afterwards. He told me we were a great audience. Then, joy of joys, I got to meet Bret and Jemaine!! I thanked them for making this world a happier place, and told them I'm probably their oldest fan. Jemaine said "We'll keep it our secret!" (ps, I'm one month away from 59!) They stayed and signed and posed for everyone. What nice guys! All in all, it was a totally enjoyable evening. I sailed the three plus hours home, and am basking today.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

folkthezombies
New arrival

Postby folkthezombies » Thu May 08, 2008 2:31 am

Hello everyone! I was also at the show last night, and I actually wound up sneaking a lot of videos from the first row on the far left. They were really strict with cameras so I felt like it was a pretty big accomplishment. Haha. I will post them here once I can get them uploaded so that everyone that couldn't go will enjoy the show too.

So jealous you met them. I went out with some friends after not realizing they would stick around to meet people. Makes me want to go back to the venue at 10:30 and be stalkerish to try to get a picture... (I live in midtown Manhattan). Do you think it would be worth it? Were they out front at all after??

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 am

The guys didn't come out until about 11:30, but I would guess it might be earlier tonight because they have to travel and perform tomorrow. And I couldn't believe it, they're even cuter in person, if that's at all possible!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

folkthezombies
New arrival

Postby folkthezombies » Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 am

I did go figuring what could I lose, and I'm so glad I did! I got a picture with both of the guys and they signed my DVD cover. Thanks so much for posting or I never would've thought to go back. It's too bad we didn't stay last night, because my friend from out of town who came in for that show missed out, so I feel bad.

They are so nice. Someone was excitedly going "Can I get a picture?" and Bret goes "Oh, you'll ALL get pictures". They really are there for their fans.

And yes so much cuter close up and in person. I felt like I was shaking when I asked for a picture.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu May 08, 2008 4:52 am

folkthezombies wrote:They are so nice. Someone was excitedly going "Can I get a picture?" and Bret goes "Oh, you'll ALL get pictures". They really are there for their fans.

That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard! :D (okay, that might be an exaggeration, but lets not go into it...)

I'm going to the Riverside show in Milwaukee on Sunday and I'm in the process of convincing my friends to stick around after the show to meet the guys. I don't think I'll have to work too hard to convince them after all the positive feedback from the last couple shows. :lol:

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Thu May 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Good luck Andria and have fun. Reading these lovely reports is just confirmation that these guys are nice on top of being funny :D
I just wish I was in the US in possession of a Conchords ticket :?

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 pm

They are a far cry from what American celebrities are like - maybe that's why they are so loved and popular here in the states - they are a real breath of fresh air for us.

I never seen them live, never met them, but they come across like people you already know.....really down to earth and genuine - I hope they never change.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 08, 2008 6:49 pm

I’m not ashamed to say that my friends and I did a bit of stalking last night. We had seen them perform on Monday in PA, got pix with Bret & Jemaine etc but NYC is local so it wasn’t a hardship to swing by after the show let out to see what’s what.

I expected the NYC crowd to be bigger and a bit more frantic than the PA one but they really weren't. The main difference though between NYC & PA was that in PA Bret & Jemaine approached us whereas in NYC they were surrounded and the crowd seemed pretty squishy on a NYC sidewalk as opposed to the PA side street. And while they were both totally friendly I sensed that they were somewhat less at ease this time, at least in the beginning. For a bit it seemed Jemaine was trying to inch his way closer and closer to their car to no avail. Bret was surrounded on all sides and was quite the trooper. I got the ‘total sweetheart’ vibe from him both times I saw him. In the pic I took with Jemaine he told me he was “really posing” which consisted of doing the one eyebrow raise and Bret did some silly stuff pretending my friend was a paparazzo.

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Thu May 08, 2008 7:05 pm

Here's my rundown of last night's show at Town Hall (I'm cross-posting this from the Conchords TWoP forum, slightly edited):

My head is still spinning from spending 90 minutes of my life within 15 feet of Bret, but I'll try to supply some details about last night.

Before Todd Barry came onstage, Bret, Jemaine & he had an offstage debate about who was opening for who, with Todd telling them they should be opening since he's been working in comedy for 20 years, and J&B responding that they're much more famous and successful, that's why they're the headliner. It was a funny improv. Todd was very funny, and ruthlessly silenced a guy in the audience that tried to interact with his story about performing in Alabama. He did about a half-hour set, then introduced the Conchords.

The setlist, which is definitely muddled in my head with Monday's show, in no real order, and probably not complete:

Inner City Pressure - they opened with this in Philly as well
Cellotape - the guy sitting 2 seats away from me very quietly requested this and they heard him!
Most Beautiful Girl
Jenny
Ex-Girlfriend Choir (new song; Bret is the girl yet again)
Robots
HvR
I Told You I was Freaky (new song)
Albi
Business Time - Jemaine sat on the edge of the stage (yum) and Todd Barry played (awesome)bongos and gave the guys a hard time. I did call out "CrazyDogggz" when he came onstage
Bus Driver's Song
If You're Into It
Mutha*uckas
Bowie
(please correct me and remind me of the order if you can...)

The folks on Jem's side that were tossing props onstage (little robot toys, Team Building T-shirt, plastic cutleries, the eyepatch) were hassled by security, but the Conchords didn't seem to mind. Jem even commented that the show had turned into a Rocky Horror Picture Show-style gig.

At one point Bret's stool tipped a bit and he caught himself, then he started tipping it on purpose. I really thought he was gonna go over! He came down into the audience with the keytar but didn't encourage folks to play it as he had Monday. He did hit a button that turned the Inner City Pressure backbeat on briefly, and they did give us a minute of Wham!'s Last Christmas while the decamped to the rear of the stage to chat and stretch their legs, but it wasn't by accident. I also loved them shushing us; later in the show they commend us for "self-shushing." People did call things out, but they were pretty sedate compared to the Philly crowd.

I ended up not getting a camera, but security were being real a*holes to those who used them, pointing bright flashlights at folks all over the place, coming right up to the edge of the stage. The people taking pictures mostly turned off their flashes and were probably much less distracting to the guys than the security flashlights.

Town Hall was a great place to see them, it was a fraction of the size of the Tower Theater, and it didn't look like there were any bad seats with obscured views. They really shouldn't play bigger places; seeing their facial expressions as they banter really adds to the humor. Jemaine makes a LOT of eye contact with the audience; Bret seems to fix his gaze over the audience's heads.

My sister, who was sitting in the farthest rear corner of the orchestra on Jem's side has decided to come out as a Jemainiac. I have to admit after seeing him in person, he's more handsome and magnetic than on video, really VERY sexy. Bret doesn't seem as skinny in person, just tall and lean, and is REALLY beautiful, especially his hands...

I didn't stick around after, as I and my friends had to drive back to south Jersey and go to work today. I'm glad to hear everyone who did wait was given attention by the guys.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu May 08, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm so glad you went back and got pics, folkthezombies. Were there a lot more people waiting for them last night? On Tuesday only about 25-30 folks stuck it out. I'm thinking maybe they were a bit tense at first because there might have been more people, and they were concerned about having to leave town early the next day. God bless them for being so good to us!
It was interesting to hear the reports of the various shows. They truly do not do a rigid, totally set show, and I think that's what is so great - you'll never see exactly the same show. They are so good at adapting to the situation and audience. Did they do the "Cellotape"version, or the Americaized "Tape of love"? I like the former better.
Bibliaddict, Tuesday they did "Bus Driver's Song" and "Angels" for encores. And Todd mentioned Tuesday after the show that he might bring his bongos Wednesday - glad to hear he did.
Hope the rest of the tour goes as well as it did here in the East.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 09, 2008 12:34 am

What's with them not doing BOOM? That would be a major crowd pleaser. I would have loved to have seen them in a smaller venue like Town Hall. Tower was just too big.

My pics from last night are here:

http://flickr.com/photos/shebearess/sets/72157604954297754/

rainbowtomatoe
New arrival

Postby rainbowtomatoe » Fri May 09, 2008 1:28 am

i think it's probably because the dg 20 hasn't been working lately..

nice pictures! i've been really curious to see what the "meet and greets" after the shows have been like. looks like you drew a picture of bret...it's really neat!

[p.s does the video have sound? because i can't hear anything]

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”