The end of the Meet and Greet?

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Why have the Conchords stopped meeting fans after the show?

too tired -- it's late in the tour, people!
21%
fans too demanding/rude
25%
fiancees saw one too many fan kisses on flickr
No votes
it had to happen sometime -- they can't go around lovin everyone, they just wouldn't get anything done
54%

Total votes: 24

Zap
Lost but happy at sea

The end of the Meet and Greet?

Postby Zap » Fri May 30, 2008 2:41 pm

I've been carefully reading the post-show reports from each stop on this tour, and the guys have gone from running out of the venue to greet fans who weren't expecting it (Upper Darby) to graciously meeting fans who wait by the stage door (NYC and the midwest), to ditching the meet and greet all together (West coast).

I've also read some outrageous reports of people running up on stage and fondling them, stalking them after the show to their hotel, yelling totally inappropriate things during the shows ("Show us your nipples!" "Take off your pants!"). If true, I am surprised that Bret and Jemaine aren't rushing back to their hotel rooms to cry in the shower.

So...have we just witnessed the end of the accessible Conchords? Have beastly idiots driven them into the safety of the VIP lounge forever? Or have they just had enough of even well-intentioned fanfolk, and need a break from it all?

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Fri May 30, 2008 2:50 pm

if that's the case i feel really bad for them, it has been so great reading everyone's stories about getting to meet them and seeing pictures they've taken with them and how much fun they seemed to be having with it, it would be sad if that couldn't continue... :(

Blackbird
New arrival

Postby Blackbird » Fri May 30, 2008 3:46 pm

I was at the second SF show last night, and honestly they seem burnt out. There were parts of the show where you could see in spite of their act that they were plain tired. After the show they snuck them out in an Excursion and I wasn't altogether surprised, considering they are scheduled to play a show in LA in what's got to be about 12 hours. No rest for the weary, I believe the saying goes.

Obviously, I don't know them as people so I don't know if they're really effected by a crowd shouting lewd comments, but there were a lot of those flying about, along with song requests. I personally wished people would just shut up, but then I get annoyed when people laugh too loudly at a movie so I can't hear the next line. They did chastise the crowd for being so inappropriate, but I would imagine that's all part of the act. And yes, they did allow one woman to run up to the stage to touch them after she screamed out "I wanna touch you!" I suppose after her they didn't want to be touched anymore.

In Bret's own words, "It's been a long tour."

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Interesting. This is the first account of last night's gig that I've read today. I was hoping for more fan encounters and pics. Could the meet & greets truly be over? I can't imagine they wouldn't do it at least for the last LA gig. I totally get their being burnt out, with the exception of the week or so they had off last week they've been playing nearly back to back gigs. I guess they get to sleep in the bus most nights, who knows?

Shout outs have "plagued" them since the very first gig in Philly that I attended. I suspect that shouts of take off your pants and show us your nipples are more humourous than objectifying but I can't say coz I wasn't there. Frankly though they were good at the first show they seemed burnt out to me onstage to me even then. Though I just figured it was their laid back way.

HBThingy
Half a shapely halibut

Postby HBThingy » Fri May 30, 2008 5:39 pm

That's a shame :( I recieved such fond memories from the meet and greet. They probably figured out most bands don't sign stuff afterwards :rolleyes:

I thought they flew out to each city? But I guess since San Francisco to Los Angeles is about an 8 hour drive, they may take the bus? This might be the thing wearing them down.

I didn't know they were being stalked? My goodness that's a bit scary.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 30, 2008 6:09 pm

At this point I feel lucky to have my own fond memories and pics of the meet & greets. To think that Jemaine actually walked right up to me on the first night of the tour and now he's avoiding fans...

They have a tour bus so I assumed they drove everywher which is crazy considering the price of gas and the size of that bus.

I've now read some accounts of the show and people are saying the crowd was obnoxious. It seems Jemaine got harrassed quite a bit for his chest hair flaunting t shirt and then there's this which just looks icky to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bJzNocpp19U

liezl
Keeping it funky

Postby liezl » Fri May 30, 2008 6:23 pm

to be honest, all the obnoxious yelling goes on at every concert I've been to, so this isnt a new occurrence. Some joker is always yelling out 'Freebird'.

As for the creepiness of that video. If that's what's going on, I don't blame them for not wanting to meet anyone afterwards.

I'll provide a report for the LA shows...

(and pictures if I can manage them.)

Blackbird
New arrival

Postby Blackbird » Fri May 30, 2008 6:32 pm

SheWolf wrote:I've now read some accounts of the show and people are saying the crowd was obnoxious. It seems Jemaine got harrassed quite a bit for his chest hair flaunting t shirt and then there's this which just looks icky to me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bJzNocpp19U

I suppose it was obnoxious. I don't really have anything to compare it to. I haven't been to any of their other shows, and it's the first "comedy" show I've ever been to, or the first show I've been to where the acoustics were great and there were periods of silence which too many fools would too obligingly fill. It certainly left me somewhat annoyed, though I tried to enjoy it for what it was.

Funny thing was I saw that girl (from the video) leave the symphony hall. She was babbling on about how she could have made it so much cooler. I don't know if you could tell, but she could barely climb onto the stage. She had to double over and roll onto it. Not very graceful. ;)

I absolutely loved Jemaine's reaction, though. I would've have done the same thing if I were in that situation.

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Fri May 30, 2008 6:40 pm

Let me preface my rant by saying I'm an occasional drinker but I think the rudeness ensues because of the unlimited beers/drinks in the lobby. In Milwaukee I was jostled from my seat at least every 15 minutes by folks who kept doing beer runs...and then toilet runs. Then they scream "Bowie" in my ear during every lull in the show. I know that's how theatres make all their concession $$$, but if they'd limit it to 2 drinks/per person, it might curtail some of the heckling.
After the show one drunk dude asked Bret to sign TEN items. I think that is a little excessive, but yet polite Bret obliged. The fan did end up giving him 2 bottles of beer. I guess the aggressive US audience is something the guys will have to get used to......sad, but a reality.

....On a side note, a heckler did scream to Jemaine "have a Pabst" and Jemaine said "that sounds like some kind of woman's disease" :drinkers:
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

claire

Postby claire » Fri May 30, 2008 7:27 pm

that is icky, it was nice of bret to be a good sport but i don't blame jemaine for telling her not to touch him, they're up there to perform not to be pawed at by strangers, ugh it's embarrassing to me that people behave that way--and i do agree there were a lot of drunk people, the girls behind us at town hall were so loud it was annoying, and there were two guys in the lobby who were drunk out of their minds, i'm all for having a couple of drinks on a night out but what's the point in getting so shit-faced that you don't remember the show? especially when there were people who had to sit home because they couldn't get a ticket...

that kind of behavior just goes against what i feel like the conchords are all about, just a couple of sweet funny guys being silly and trying to make everyone laugh, all the rude heckling seems so out of place to me...

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri May 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Now, if someone that was "actually" funny had done that, they would have gone up on stage, reached out, and touched them with one finger- then run back to their seat. :stick:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 30, 2008 8:12 pm

First of all I'm LOL about Jemaine's Pabst comment. Good one!

I agree with everything you said Claire. The amount of alcohol consumed at the gig I saw was pretty suprising to me. Luckily I was in a section that was fine but in nearby areas it was constant getting up and coming back of people getting drinks and peeing and then yelling. :?

Sorry but I think the girl in the YouTube video looks like a jackass. She's trying to be cool but she isn't. She isn't even funny. She looks like a moron & even more so that Jemaine didn't play along. The poor guy even needed to get up and walk around afterwards. He was probably seething. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating but his body language says it all to me. Regardless, she never would have been allowed onstage had Bret not egged her on so... Bad Bret. Bad Bret.

Liezl I eagerly await your story and pics.

liezl
Keeping it funky

Postby liezl » Fri May 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Now I'm worried about the gig tonight, they allow drinking in the venue. In fact, they have cup holders in front of each seat. :?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 pm

liezl wrote:Now I'm worried about the gig tonight, they allow drinking in the venue. In fact, they have cup holders in front of each seat. :?

:shock: . Well I don't know what to make of that. If people could drink and be respectful it would be ideal but we all know how that goes.

I'm just really hoping that for your LA guy's sake Bret & Jemmy do the meet and greets. I'm really hoping for that because if they don't it makes it seem to me that they are kind of giving up on the fans.

claire

Postby claire » Fri May 30, 2008 8:41 pm

SW i agree i think jemaine was annoyed and i don't blame him, it must be awful to have your personal space violated like that, especially onstage in front of a crowd of people when it's unwelcome and especially cuz i've read he's a shy person--it's one thing that bret asked her to come up and for her to touch him but she should have taken the hint and respected jemaine when he backed away and especially when he came right out and said don't touch me!

liezl, i hope you have a wonderful time tonight, i'm sure they allow drinking in all venues, i just wish people wouldn't take it to the extreme and act like that...

i hope for your sake too that the boys do come out and do a meet and greet tonight, tho i do understand if it's starting to wear them out...

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”