Demetri Martin

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Demetri Martin

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 am

I felt the same way about the beginning of series. As it goes on he proves that he is so imaginative!!

Too funny, I was just re-watching one where he is a secret agent and meets the woman spy...(not gonna spoil it here )........ at the end when the cops are looking in the bag..."what happened to his anus"... :rolls:

For those of you that may not have seen that episode yet, I really didn't give anything away...that scene just hit me, so hilarious, and I am loopy tired.

But on another hand, Demetri looked pretty hot in that tux... :whistle:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Demetri Martin Inks Deal With CBS

It may seem like Demetri Martin has been a bit quiet as of late, but as it turns out, he’s been busy behind the scenes striking deals that will hopefully have us laughing into primetime.

Though details are sparse, the Hollywood Reporter just posted the news that the former Important Things with Demetri Martin star has inked a deal with CBS that may find the comedian writing, producing and starring in his own project.

In addition to headlining theaters across the country, Martin has also showed off his acting chops in last year’s Ang Lee flick Taking Woodstock. He’s currently filming Contagion, a Steven Soderbergh thriller starring Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law.

Not bad for a comic, who just a few years ago, was playing rooms at the back of bars in downtown Manhattan.

Source
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:35 pm

I Love Demetri Martin !! :D What ever project he is involved in I really hope that he suceeds. So smart, so funny, great guy, funny guy, yay ! ! good for him ! :clap:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Yay, Demetri's finally returning to the UK!
http://leicestersquaretheatre.ticketsol ... 251/events
Luckily, I got tickets for his Sat 15th October show soon after he announced it on Twitter because it looks like tickets have been selling pretty quick. Really looking forward to seeing him live for the first time. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:46 am

He is sooooo worth seeing! :clap:

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:09 am

Demetri Martin has a small role in the new Stephen Soderberg film Contagion. He plays a CDC researcher, and wears a biohazard suit during most of his scenes. I kept waiting for him to bring out the keytar, but sadly, he never did.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:55 pm

eejm wrote:Demetri Martin has a small role in the new Stephen Soderberg film Contagion. He plays a CDC researcher, and wears a biohazard suit during most of his scenes. I kept waiting for him to bring out the keytar, but sadly, he never did.

:lol:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:49 am

It would have been tough to play in the biohazard suit, anyway.

(Just so it rhymes.)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:04 pm

I saw Demetri this past weekend at Acme Comedy in Minneapolis.
He was doing a show for the Acme Insiders (Acme's email list) and was actually recording an album! (they kept that quiet from us).

he actually did the annoucements for the opener and himself! And a few jabs here and there show that he was quite disappointed about Important Things getting cancelled. I thought Season 2 started slow but finished really strong. When I think of Tosh.0, I just get kind of cranky. Oh, well, back to the show.

Levi McDougall opened. He's a Canadian comic who wrote for Important Things. He was quietly hilarious. http://levimacdougall.com/selected-writings
There is one bit, a take on that essay called Footprints ("why are there just one set of footprints, Lord?""Oh that's then I was carrying you") called Feetprints which was tears down your face hysterical.

Demetri did the rest of the set, well over an hour's worth of material. He was even trying out jokes he'd just written. He didn't do any drawings (record album) but just peppered jokes at people so fast I'm lucky if I can remember a tenth of them. He seemed a little uncertain, but I'm hoping the Acme crowd raised his confidence.

And if you hear someone on the CD alternately coughing and laughing in the background, that's probably me. :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

So glad you got to see Demetri live, MM! Very cool that he was recording an album at your show too. :thumb:

I just realised that I haven't posted about my experience at Demetri's show. Levi MacDougall opened at the show I went to as well. It was his first time in the UK an the was pretty good and I absolutely loved that "Feetprints" joke! Demetri did make a couple of jokes about Important Things being cancelled like introducing Levi as one of the writers of his "unjustly cancelled TV show". :lol:

Demetri's set went on for around 90 minutes and the audience were hanging on to every joke and he was very well received. His set was as hilarious as ever! A few highlights include right at the beginning of the show when he was introducing his show and said, "This show is brought to you by…" then the CD playing music started skipping so he continued "...a sh*tty CD player." :lol: Then he went on to say, "This show is brought to you by 'Pedalfiles'- we just love pedals." He told us that he hadn't been in the UK for 6 years so that the show would be a collection of his best jokes and I actually hadn't heard most of the jokes he told which was great. He showed some of his drawings on the Large Pad during the show. He made a few jokes specific to London like how he's nearly been killed 22 times by drivers. He seemed to think bus drivers are playing a game to see how close they can get to pedestrians and think to themselves, "I just want to see if I can just tip over that stroller". Demetri also noted that there is lots of construction going on to make the city look nice for the Olympics but thought it was a bit late for that. :lol:

As soon as the show ended, there was an announcement that Demetri was going to be in the foyer signing merchandise. We only had to wait for about 5-10 minutes until he came out. He was mostly signing copies of his book and taking photos. When I met him, I introduced myself, shook his hand and said "I have something a little different for you to sign, could you sign my Flight of the Conchords DVD?". He smiled and said, "Yeah sure, I used to live with Bret and Jemaine." Some guy who was behind me commented on my DVD and said "Oh, have you got Bret and Jemaine to sign it as well?". I replied "Yeah, I've got Bret, Jemaine, Rhys…" Demetri commented that it was pretty cool that I had gotten various members of the cast to sign it . He looked at the front and saw it was packed with autographs and asked when he could sign the back so I replied, "Yeah sure, Taika and Iain Morris have signed the back". Then we took a photo and I told him that I really enjoyed his show tonight. He replied, "Thank you, I'm glad. Thanks so much for coming." I would have loved to talk to him for longer but there were so many others waiting to see him and it was late. Demetri was very sweet and friendly during my encounter with him. I had such an amazing time at his show and it was a absolute pleasure meeting him too! :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”