April 7- Coral Gables, FL

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: April 7- Coral Gables, FL

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I want ALL the details if any WTF ladies get to dance with them! :D And if you get to hug Jemaine and/or Bret..:thud: I'll try my best not to be jealous ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Venus wrote:I want ALL the details if any WTF ladies get to dance with them! :D And if you get to hug Jemaine and/or Bret..:thud: I'll try my best not to be jealous ;)

Pfft, I'll be giving a play by play of the ENTIRE night so...no worries there!

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Venus wrote:And is it just me but has this 'Stana' song been mentioned somewhere before? I'm pretty sure I've read about it in an article or interview somewhere before these live gigs. Quite weird... Anyway, it was cool to hear it!

I had the EXACT same feeling! And I found it. In the James Bobin Q&A, he mentions it as one of his favourite songs.

And since I haven't been posting much lately I'll take this opportunity to say that I'm really sad that I won't be seeing a show :cry: , but I hope all you lucky folk have a wonderful time seeing these two beautiful men perform live. :rock:

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:54 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:
Venus wrote:And is it just me but has this 'Stana' song been mentioned somewhere before? I'm pretty sure I've read about it in an article or interview somewhere before these live gigs. Quite weird... Anyway, it was cool to hear it!

I had the EXACT same feeling! And I found it. In the James Bobin Q&A, he mentions it as one of his favourite songs.

And since I haven't been posting much lately I'll take this opportunity to say that I'm really sad that I won't be seeing a show :cry: , but I hope all you lucky folk have a wonderful time seeing these two beautiful men perform live. :rock:

YIS! That's it! It was starting to bother me haha! Thanks for reminding me :D

Woohoo, I'll look forward to your detailed account of the show kellysouthpaw :D
&

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:12 pm

Well, Venus, my show isn't for another 16 days so... :(

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:19 pm

^That's fine. Seriously it's just over two weeks, it'll be showtime before you even know it! ;)

Sherry wrote:Band meeting tees have been added to the merch

http://twitpic.com/2zm5i

They're cool.
Dunno if these have already been posted. If not, here are the tour t-shirts (may be a little big to post directly on the forums):
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/thundercrack24/download-2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/thundercrack24/1ac41.jpg

Someone's currently uploading vids on their YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SwaggerToothVideo
&

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanks for linking that video!

I haven't had the chance to see Kristen Schaal's full act. I've only seen clips here and there with the same jokes (Law and Order SVU, avocado pit vagina, etc.). I loved the pot and pans bit.

And I'm digging the new song, Stana. I can't wait to hear it live. ::crossing fingers::
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Venus wrote:^That's fine. Seriously it's just over two weeks, it'll be showtime before you even know it! ;)

Sherry wrote:Band meeting tees have been added to the merch

http://twitpic.com/2zm5i

They're cool.
Dunno if these have already been posted. If not, here are the tour t-shirts (may be a little big to post directly on the forums):
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/thundercrack24/download-2.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/thundercrack24/1ac41.jpg

Is it me or are they, for tour tees somewhat boring? I'd hope for a bit more for the actual tour tee somehow. Others I can understand, but that is plain boring. Sorry, but I'd not part with dosh for one of those.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Sherry wrote:
Is it me or are they, for tour tees somewhat boring? I'd hope for a bit more for the actual tour tee somehow. Others I can understand, but that is plain boring. Sorry, but I'd not part with dosh for one of those.

I've seen some of the other designs and they're quite fun! There's a xylophone one, a colourful "too many dicks..." one... Let me see if I can hunt down the pics again.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Last edited by SheWolf on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Haha yeah those t-shirts aren't particularly exiciting but I saw a pic of a girl somewhere wearing a black t-shirt with a multi-coloured design which she bought and it looked quite cool.

There's quite a lot coming through from last night's performance:

Meet and Greet pics!:

Caption: Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords was a total sweetheart; very shy: http://twitpic.com/2zzlr
Caption: Bret from Flight of the Conchords was so nice and enthusiastic: http://twitpic.com/2zzmy
Caption: And yes, I got Jemaine to kiss me on the cheek. It wasn't as hard as you think! lol: http://twitpic.com/2zzng
:thud:

A raving review:
The Conchords: The Geekiest Rock Stars Ever

Last Night: Flight of the Conchords

Better Than: All the YouTube videos fit to click.

By now, fans of HBO's off-kilter, musical comedy series Flight of the Conchords know that its number is up. The Conchords themselves, the duo of Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, walking a nearly-flawless tightrope between maladroit geekiness and rock star bravado, has so much as said they won't be returning for another season of chasing women, running from their obsessed stalker Mel, and, most importantly, breaking down into impromptu music videos that exhibit the sort of mastery of pop the two doltish New Zealanders could never employ in their actual live shows.

The truth is what Clement and McKenzie have created is a slacker version of High School Musical for the iPod generation. FotC fans will probably hate that line, but it's the truth: The trick is their personas have set the bar so low, thanks to a combination of ineffectual dialogue and overt ineptitude (they consistently draw just one fan to their performances), that the pop highs they reach in their lampoonish songs feel that much more legit. Borrowing from Andy Kaufman, the Smothers Brothers, and a whole lot of David Bowie, the pair have tapped into a musical subconscious that, with only a simple outstretched disco falsetto, becomes almost irresistibly hilarious.

You couldn't argue the Conchords' HSM-like draw, anyway, as Kristen Schaal (the show's Mel, performing a set of miniature "plays" in character) introduced the duo to the audience at the University of Miami's Bank United Center on Tuesday night. Grown women screamed and clawed as if Paul and John were walking onto the tarmac; their dates, too, equally star-struck. The pair appeared backstage wearing cardboard robot heads fans will remember from episode one's "The Humans Are Dead," and launched not into one of their YouTube classics, but the season two song above, "Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor." Channeling Daft Punk, the Conchords fumbled with their synths and beat boxes while the venue's lighting system struggled to keep up with their obviously off-beat timing. Perfect.

From there things backed up a bit as they took on a duet version of "Most Beautiful Girl in the Room," where subtle lyrical changes gave the fans who sang along some surprises (notably: "And then I seal the deal, I do my moves I do the Robot - resistance is futile, girl."). Bret fended off a few marriage proposals from the audience as they transitioned into the Johnny Cash riff, "Stana," about a boy whose name (an anagram of Satan) foretold he would become a habitual law-breaker, killing folks "just because," evading the IRS, and scoffing at the laws of physics.

In perhaps the most successful moment of the night, the pair launched into "Carol Brown," a folksy and honest song from their Michel Gondry directed season two episode "Unnatural Love." It was one of those moments where the geeky facade wore just thin enough to expose some truly great songwriting - when the subdued track reached its rhapsodic, post-chorus crescendo, the filled BankUnited center released a collective coo of pleasure. The hairs on your arm tingled. And as quickly as the poignant moment came, it was replaced by the ridiculousness of "We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady," a cello-assisted R&B track that became a medley with another season two hit, "Sugarlumps."

By the time the Conchords reached their ubiquitous swan song, "Business Time," about a comfortable couple that has scheduled sex in their baggy, bedtime T-shirts, the crowd was completely theirs. In more impromptu lyrical changes, Jemaine remarked on his sexual prowess, "When it's with me, you only need two minutes, because I'm so fierce. I'm concentrated, like Tang. You don't want too much by itself." Two songs later, during "Issues," the Conchords would fade off the stage, come back for a short encore, and walk off again.

When the house lights came on, the crowd lingered a bit, dazed and quite nearly lost. Will the Conchords come back? Probably not. With the last season in the books, the New Zealanders have reached their saturation point - any more, and they'd risk dilution. Business hours are over, baby. But you can still order online.

Personal Bias: Two weeks after season two wrapped up, I'm jonesing for the DVD. Can we make that happen?

Random Detail: There was an older guy, about 50, in front of me, cracking up to nearly every song, but most especially "Business Time" and "Jenny." His wife was not amused.

By the Way: The Conchords' new CD of season two hits was supposed to be released by Sub Pop this month, but still has no official date or title. You can download about 10 of the songs via iTunes.

-- John Linn

Source

YouTube Videos:

When the guys got off stage to interact with the audience during Sugalumps! :D :D :D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzzx3yRgC9g

A series of clips filmed from someone quite close up on their phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bo-Skz6HIY
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Haha you beat me to it! Hmm the ladies may have this to look forward to in the future shows eh? :D
&

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:45 pm

And I was just about to post the pix but you beat me to it - Jem shaved. :(

I like the band meeting T. I'm a fan of the ringer and of simplicity so it works for me.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm

O I like the others, but for the tee listing the venues/places its boring. At least to me.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Sherry wrote:O I like the others, but for the tee listing the venues/places its boring. At least to me.

I think the Xylophone one lists the venues too... *continues to look for pic*
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”