2009 Tour - Camera/Cellphone/Bag Policies

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 2009 Tour - Camera/Cellphone/Bag Policies

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 am

I'm going to try and we mindful of who's around before I take a pic...but in the heat of the moment? :rolleyes:

Hmmm, that's another reason I'm going to cover most of my screen as well as darkening it, maybe whoever the eye-in-the-sky is won't see it from behind.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 am

So you guys don't think it's really the Conchords who object to the cameras? I would really like to know this because I have no problem breaking the venue's rules but I certainly don't want to disregard the Conchords' wishes on this.

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am

Noticed the walkie-talkie beeline for people too. Interesting....

If you have no flash, and being discreet about it, why care? It's not like there's a staff photog at every show getting the candid pics. :(

bjp4444
New arrival

Postby bjp4444 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:48 am

...well, i've also just realized my mobile phone has a 3.2 mp camera with adjustable flash. while not as great as my 7.1 mp sony p&s, i think it will still do a great job from the third row if need be. if anyone asks, i was sending a text or something.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:51 am

Cuse wrote:If you have no flash, and being discreet about it, why care? It's not like there's a staff photog at every show getting the candid pics. :(

Do you mean why would the venue/band care? I don't get that, either. I can see the flash being an issue, maybe they figure it's easier just to say "no cameras"?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 am

I've put black felt over all my LCD screen and any other buttons or places that light up. I've also got my camera settings to no flash and I plan on holding it in my lap and pointing it kinda up and putting it under my hands if there's security nearby. My camera is pretty small.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:I've put black felt over all my LCD screen and any other buttons or places that light up. I've also got my camera settings to no flash and I plan on holding it in my lap and pointing it kinda up and putting it under my hands if there's security nearby. My camera is pretty small.

Kelly is actually James Bond. :lol: Seriously, though - we need cameras built into our glasses and watches and stuff. **ninja stealth smilie**

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:28 am

I'm super paranoid and OCD so that makes me pretty James Bonds like in these situations 8)

:lol:

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:00 am

I took something like 45 pictures and a couple minutes of video at Kent State and only got yelled at once. My camera is tiny and I'm pretty stealthy. 8) As for the Fox Theater - it holds over 5,000 people and I don't see them being that thorough. I will be more cautious this time since I'll be a lot closer. I just need to remember to turn the flash off every time I turn the camera on - I slipped a couple times... :doh:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:23 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:I agree - I think they're blowing smoke up our :shock: :o

Absolutely. I don't understand why this is a concern. If you want to bring a camera, bring one & take non flash pics. If someone tells you to put it away, put it away. No biggie. From my limited experience this year and last, the minute FOTC hit the stage a gazillion cell phone and cameras go up and people are clicking away all throughout the show. it's one of those things that can't be prevented regardless of policy.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 pm

SheWolf makes some good points.

TBH I think the concern would stem from what they consider pro cameras in the good seats. They are able to take good pics and video. Most seats further back are not going to get very clear pics or vids with decent sound with normal point and shoot cameras. Most people just get a fuzzy outline. I don't see the point of taking pics then anyways and wouldn't even bother.

But if someone takes a front row or near front vid its going to be much better. And the better the camera the better the quality. And I am not sure how the Conchords or their management feel about all that surfacing on YT or online elsewhere. Hard to do anything about these days, but still lots of artists don't really relish that kind of thing. And bootlegs also then spring up. Which isn't always what the artist wants to see.

I know one singer I have seen. He freely allows you to photograph/video his gigs but asks you don't post them on YT or other places online. And you send him a copy of the recording please :lol: I've not really seen his request disrespected. I got some amazing clips as I was front and centre and only 3 foot away from him. Amazing stuff, but I'll never post it on YouTube or anywhere out of respect for his request.

stank
Giving the paper to the people

Postby stank » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm

I would think it could only help them. It gets them more exposure. I suppose they have to say "no cameras or video equipment" so they don't have professional cameras in there, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything to get them taken off of youtube. And they even encourage people to send pictures in to facebook.
I'm surprised HBO doesn't take down the clips from the show and the special from a couple years ago. Most networks are nazis when it comes to that kind of thing.

Dave Matthews Band allows professional tapers to put up these big antenna microphones and record every concert. Then they get uploaded and people can download them. As long as they aren't sold. It just makes me want to see them live even more.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 pm

Yeah, the Dead used to be like that too. There used to be a forest of microphones near the sound board at every show. Phish also, although I think they used to let people plug directly into the sound board because it was all digital at that point.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:09 pm

stank wrote:I would think it could only help them. It gets them more exposure. I suppose they have to say "no cameras or video equipment" so they don't have professional cameras in there, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything to get them taken off of youtube. And they even encourage people to send pictures in to facebook.
I'm surprised HBO doesn't take down the clips from the show and the special from a couple years ago. Most networks are nazis when it comes to that kind of thing.

I think anyone who knows the Conchords knows they are not about getting more exposure. I don't think its something they crave or want more of. But accept it comes with the territory they are now in. I personally think shitty vid clips and pics are a waste of time to even post publicly however. I fail to see the point in even trying to watch them. They don't do the Conchords (or any artist) justice.

And no they are not having things removed from YT. Yet. But they do have management who are keeping an eye on things I am sure.

HBO did have things pulled from YT and other online places during the first season. They were really hot on sites with links to torrents etc. Also those that had the song clips hosted. Also on YT they had things pulled.

I think to a certain point they let things slide now but seek to have content removed when they feel its needed. I know a few Conchords related sites that sprang up during S1 that had to remove large chunks of their content as HBO got on to them.

I think HBO have wised up more quickly than other networks. And understand that the Conchords TV show is not the Sopranos and it has a very different appeal and market. And are handling it accordingly now.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm

I think that for a lot of fans, being able to see pics and vids that they themselves took during a show- no matter the quality- is something that makes them smile. I know that just having the memory of seeing them live is going to be great but if I wind up with a few bad pics/vids, they'll be shitty to you but clear to me. :) "What a night! They were amazing and I was able to get these pics! They sounded so great.....this was when Jemaine yelled back at the heckler- it was a riot!...." that kind of thing. Reinforces the memory.
It is all subjective, after all, and no one is trying to distribute or make money off pics/video they take at a show.

2 nice shots of them would make me happy....or a lot of not-so-clear ones. :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”