April 15 New York City

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: April 15 New York City

Postby Cuse » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:44 pm

LauraK wrote:
I'm so curious now to hear whatever it was that Jemaine sang on his own....it sounds wonderful! Surely someone got it on tape?! :)

Yeah, I was like "damn, keep playing it!" Sounded like a classic.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Someone, somewhere will know....we'll find out. :) I just hope someone got it in a clip....I want to hear!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't think I can watch the clip of Little Red being murdered *sniffle*

Too soon, too soon. Maybe in a few years after the heals have scabbed over.

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 pm

It went out on a high, kelly. Doing what it loved, in front of thousands of people. What more could any of us wish for?

(although I suppose that does depend on what we love doing) :worry:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:03 pm

But it wasn't murder, Kelly....the cause was accidental death. The manner was from overenthusiastic rocking-out on the victim, which was I'm sure enjoyed up until the unfortunate crash to the stage.
RIP, Little Red.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:06 pm

Death by being overenthusiastically rocked-out upon by Bret :shock: :lol: .

What a way to go.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:10 pm

trefusis wrote:Death by being overenthusiastically rocked-out upon by Bret :shock: :lol: .

What a way to go.

I can only dream of such a gorgeous end. I was planning on kicking the bucket as a very old lady napping in the sunshine, but I think I may have changed my mind.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 pm

You guys are right. It IS what it would have wanted. *sniff*

And it wasn't murder - you're right. It was dexterial pianoslaughter...

*forgets train of thought*

Sorry, I just saw a certain Professor walk past.

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Sorry to hear about the lack of meet and greets everyone. I didn't stick around after the show because I was really sick last night. I got so sick during the show last night I didn't think I was going to make it through the whole thing. I had a really great camera yesterday and took some nice pictures but I only did it for like half the show because after a while I just couldn't anymore. I thought the crowd was pretty horrible last night. Tuesday night they were much calmer and the heckling was at a minimum. Last night they just wouldn't stop. I thought it was annoying.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:29 pm

hey and what's up with them dropping a verse in bus driver?? i thought so the first night and they did it again last night, i'm pretty sure it's the "do you hear that sound..." verse, nancy confirmed that i wasn't crazy cuz she heard it too...

gosh sellotape made me so happy tho, everyone standing up singing and clapping, it was so awesome... :D

i'm sorry you were sick spumony that stinks, sorry i didn't get to meet you, can't wait to see your pics--a couple of people behind me in the pit were yellers, the girl that jemaine pointed to asking who said that, i can't even remember what she said, was behind me and i was worried he was gonna think it was me and reprimand me, lol--as it is i think i annoyed him cuz i forgot to turn my flash off for one pic (and i was so good about turning it off every other time) it seemed like he looked right at me when it went off and i thought he gave me a look so i kind of waved an "i'm sorry", it was probably all in my head tho, lol--but i'll know what pic it is cuz it'll look different from the rest so i'll have to enlarge it to see if he was mad at me...
that's frozen cool...

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Entertainment Weekly review - Radio City Music Hall

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:50 pm

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/flight-conchord.html

Flight of the Conchords took the stage of New York City's Radio City Music Hall last night dressed as robots, the better to perform "Too Many D---s on the Dance Floor." Their costumes were fairly unwieldy, and by the end of the electro jam, Bret McKenzie had managed to knock over and destroy a toy piano. Looking fairly embarassed, he and Jemaine Clement climbed out of their robot suits while a roadie brought out a replacement. "We spared no expense on tiny pianos," Jemaine explained. The New Zealand comics spent the rest of the night cracking jokes about Bret's mishap, intermittently tossing detached keys from the broken instrument into the crowd.

That's what you'll get if you see Flight of the Conchords on the U.S. tour they kicked off a couple weeks ago. Don't expect any fancy set design or stagecraft after that opening number. Bret and Jemaine have become pay-cable stars who can easily sell out a venue like Radio City two nights in a row, but their live show still amounts to two hilariously awkward dudes doing their thing. I wouldn't have it any other way. Also: Heckle at your own risk. When one particularly insistent audience member kept shouting for "Hip-Hopopotamus vs. The Rhymenoceros," Jemaine compared her to "an angry muppet"; later, Bret sternly advised someone else that "This isn't a time for you to have a conversation with us!"

Even when the Conchords were playfully insulting them, though, the Radio City crowd was loving it, cheering at the start of nearly every song in the season-two-heavy set. Bret and Jemaine finally yielded to the yelpers during the encore, busting out "Business Time" at their request. And for the final tune of the night, they got the entire auditorium singing along to "Sellotape." My favorite song! Aww. So, were you at any of Flight of the Conchords' recent shows? Let us know how you liked them in the comments below.
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Not sure which night this was but

Flight of the Conchords' Jemaine Clement comparing being in the limelight to the inside of Paris Hilton's thigh, at the group's Radio City show

:shock: :shock: I'm guessing this isn't a good thing :lol: :doh:

Source

halokiti

Postby halokiti » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:09 pm

claire wrote:hey and what's up with them dropping a verse in bus driver?? i thought so the first night and they did it again last night, i'm pretty sure it's the "do you hear that sound..." verse, nancy confirmed that i wasn't crazy cuz she heard it too...

gosh sellotape made me so happy tho, everyone standing up singing and clapping, it was so awesome... :D

i'm sorry you were sick spumony that stinks, sorry i didn't get to meet you, can't wait to see your pics--a couple of people behind me in the pit were yellers, the girl that jemaine pointed to asking who said that, i can't even remember what she said, was behind me and i was worried he was gonna think it was me and reprimand me, lol--as it is i think i annoyed him cuz i forgot to turn my flash off for one pic (and i was so good about turning it off every other time) it seemed like he looked right at me when it went off and i thought he gave me a look so i kind of waved an "i'm sorry", it was probably all in my head tho, lol--but i'll know what pic it is cuz it'll look different from the rest so i'll have to enlarge it to see if he was mad at me...

I did some of that squeeing behind you, though it was the drunk couple in front of me that kept yelling "business time" and "i am a part-time model." And I took a lot of pictures though I usually tried for them during the banter.

theparttimemodel
New arrival

FotC in the Village Voice

Postby theparttimemodel » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/archives/2009/04/live_lets_go_ye.php#more

"Let us revel in these times, wherein two goofy-looking New Zealand dudes can sell out Radio City and take the stage in chintzy robot costumes to perform the song "Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor," which ends prematurely when Bret trips and inadvertently smashes a toy piano..."

I think that's my favorite quote in the world.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: FotC in the Village Voice

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 pm

Hello and welcome :)

Just an FYI. I'm moving this thread to the Gig section to the New York gig thread as for all gig related reviews, press, pics etc we are posting it all to the gig threads so its all under one roof, not dotted around in different areas of the forum.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”