April 24- Detroit, MI. (8 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI. (8 pm)

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:31 pm

Jemaine: Oh you're back!
Bret: Where'd you go? You two were gone for AGES, you missed *looks at setlist* one song!
Jemaine: You missed a whole song...but at least you've got your beer...

They said this to a woman who left at the 11 o' clock, too, and came back with beer! Not sure if you mixed em or if they did it at both. That would totally keep me in my seat! I believe Bret said she'd missed Stana. I also remember the Australia yeller, :lol:

And I was totally jealous of the songs you guys got at 8....I'd have loved Freekie, RvH, Business Time and Albi. It's so great that you got to see both. 8)

I LOVE that Jemaine told security to kill the people who left! Wish we could've seen that! And you know the peeps who leave can hear everything....I'd be afraid to come back in.

M&G pics, hmmm? :pray:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:38 pm

LauraK wrote:
Bret: Where'd you go? You two were gone for AGES, you missed *looks at setlist* one song!

They said this to a woman who left at the 11 o' clock, too, and came back with beer! Not sure if you mixed em or if they did it at both. That would totally keep me in my seat! I believe Bret said she'd missed Stana. I also remember the Australia yeller, :lol:

And I was totally jealous of the songs you guys got at 8....I'd have loved Freekie, RvH, Business Time and Albi. It's so great that you got to see both. 8)

I LOVE that Jemaine told security to kill the people who left! Wish we could've seen that! And you know the peeps who leave can hear everything....I'd be afraid to come back in.

M&G pics, hmmm? :pray:

Yep - must be I mixed them up. Yikes, hope I'm not going to forget all the 8 pm banter - there were some good bits in there! Mostly of Jemaine purposely confusing what hecklers said as something completely ludicrous. For instance, something like, "Happy Annex Day!" - Bret turned into, "Take my baby" and someone saying, "Get online" - Jemaine turned into "Get a life...well heckler, let me do this *puts hands up, moves them around, then pushes hands out* BACK AT YOU! PPSHEWWWWWW"

working on uploading my pictures now for my 11 pm review :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 pm

So the hecklers were worse at 8?

It didn't seem bad at 11.....what's your take?
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:48 pm

Yes - they were worse at the 8 pm, but still not bad from the other reviews I've read from the tour thus far 8) Both shows were relatively well-behaved, but the 11 pm show was VIRY well behaved, hence Nigel finding us a "handsome audience" :lol:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:03 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Funny banter:
Two people got up after one of the shows to go get a drink, I presume - Jemaine says, "Where are they going? They're leaving? *pause* Security! Take these people out of here. We don't want them up here. But see, they left just...before...I gave the order *puts finger to ear like it's a walkie talkie piece* – Yis, now kill them. Ahh thank you, that was viry efficient of you. *to audience* it's been taken care of."

Those people came back a little later...

:lol:
Oh Jemaine! :lol:

Thanks so much for your account of the 8pm show Kelly! 8)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:05 am

:lol:
Well, it was my account of the 8 pm show with a bit of the banter actually being from the 11 pm show - but you catch the idea 8)

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 am

kellysouthpaw wrote::lol:
Well, it was my account of the 8 pm show with a bit of the banter actually being from the 11 pm show - but you catch the idea 8)

Haha doesn't matter! I can imagine it probably has merged into one whole memoy but I get the gist of what the whole night was like. I'm so glad you enjoyed the concert and got to meet the guys afterwards :D
&

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 am

Okay, here we go...

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

No, wait, that was Kent State. Hold on...

It was a bright and sunny day. In fact, it was 86 degrees - far too hot to wear either my "Bret sweater" or my "Jemaine jacket". Between construction, the Google Map directions being wrong (for future reference, East 14 Mile Rd. is not West 14 Mile Rd.), and my own frustratedness, it took about four hours to make this hour and a half drive. My dad, map wizard that he is, gave me the most roundabout directions of all time over the phone. (When I got home, I spent two seconds looking at the map and had it figured out. I have a keen sense of direction, but I don't know who I got it from...)

So instead of meeting Kelly at her hotel and carpooling to the show, I wound up driving myself to the theater and I got a pretty decent parking space. I made it with nine minutes to spare. Yeah, the theater folks made a big deal about no cameras, etc., etc., but they didn't even give me a second look. I'm kind of glad they didn't, because my camera was wrapped in a Ziploc bag hidden in my underwear. I now know what it's like to have three sugar lumps.

I'm still getting over how close we were - third row orchestra pit is the place to be! (Thanks again, Kelly, you are the best!) The pit actually rocked back and forth a little bit when people walked on it, like a boat. Too bad they didn't play "Petrov"... We were seated on Jemaine's side, unfortunately right in the view of one of the security/theater/whatever guys. I only wound up taking a handful of photos of the first show, most of them not worth showing here.

And I'll echo everyone else here and say that the Fox Theater is beautiful, and HUGE. Too bad it's surrounded by downtown Detroit.

Eugene Mirman was actually pretty funny, especially his rant about Delta Airlines, comparing them to Al-Qaeda. "They operate on the same business model." He gave out postcards to send to Delta that said "I HATE YOU".

Then of course, the guys come out, and I got that feeling of deja vu since we just saw them last Sunday. (Of course, the view was MUCH better this time.) Plus the sound system didn't freak out every time Bret said "dicks".

I guess this show was Bret's turn to mess up a bit, and he flubbed a bit of "Hurt Feelings". Jemaine ran with it and made fun of him while still making it part of the song. He also mumbled a bit in "Stana", which is just a perfect live song. I've heard it three times now and they add more funny bits to it every time. "He'll molest you. And your pets. He'll molest you - WITH your pets."

Well, it looks like most of the good "heckling" portions have been covered, except for Jemaine explaining how the two girls that left were able to come back even though he ordered security to have them killed. "Yes, we brought them back to life." His "insult mirror" was really funny as well. Take that, people in the balcony!

I said it before, but I love the addition of Nigel. Is it okay to call him the "Third Conchord" yet? He's clearly still getting used to the fans. And the cello adds so much to songs like "Jenny", it makes the songs seem musically "deeper".

And I'm not mentioning the ridiculous orange underwear that those girls "threw" on the stage. Except for how Jemaine threw them at Bret's face. That was hilarious.

They ended with "Hiphopopotamus" and sadly Jemaine did not get Kelly pregnant.

After the show ended, we were in the weird situation of leaving the theater then coming right back in. Although, not before Kelly got her poster and I got my magnets (take that, Matthew!)

And that's it for Part 1! Part 2, coming soon in the 11PM thread...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:30 am

*raises fist* DARN YOU 4TH ROW!! WHY COULDN'T WE HAVE BEEN IN THE 3RD ROW!?!?!

*sigh* It's okay. I especially love his "Congratulations, bitches!" comment right after that :lol:

And I forgot the - throwing them in Bret's face! At the 11 pm after Sugalumps he got up on stage and threw them at himself and acted all surprised like some girl had just done it :lol:

Venus

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:34 am

LOL at Jemaine throwing the panties at Bret :lol:
Thanks for the recap Bad Atom! Can't wait to read all abou the 11pm show and the meet and greet :D
&

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:50 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:At the 11 pm after Sugalumps he got up on stage and threw them at himself and acted all surprised like some girl had just done it :lol:

Ha ha ha! :prayer: Jemaine.

"Congratulations, bitches!" hee hee! :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 am

kellysouthpaw wrote: I especially love his "Congratulations, bitches!" comment right after that :lol:

And I forgot the - throwing them in Bret's face! At the 11 pm after Sugalumps he got up on stage and threw them at himself and acted all surprised like some girl had just done it :lol:

Haha! Love that!!

Great account, Michael. Sorry for all of the traffic-trouble you had, yikes. But it was all worth it in the end, eh? :)
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:35 pm

OK, so I got this email and am posting it in full. I'm hoping someone here can clarify the contents as having happend (doesn't have to be word for word of course, but the general gist would be nice) Before I go including some of it in the tour roundup anyways :lol:

And yes, some more *ahem* adult content about the Conchords show below, hence me asking if this was pretty much how it went. If it wasn't then it'd be good to know so I can avoid using it. And remove it from here. Thanks.

Hey, I figured I'd send in some details about the first Detroit show, which was fantastic.

I don't remember the exact ORDER of the set-list, so don't quote it as the official order, but all of the following songs were played:

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Stana
Think About It
I'm Not Crying
Carol Brown
I Told You I Was Freekie
Business Time
Jenny
We Like To Rock The Party (shouted by the audience)
Mutha'uckas
Bus Driver's Song
Albi the Racist Dragon
We're Both In Love With A Sexy Lady/Sugar Lumps [Slow]
ENCORE: Demon Woman, Rhymenoceros VS Hiphopopotamus

Eugene Mirman opened for them, very funny as usual.

The Conchords went on a long rant about what it's like to be in a band, and how many blowjobs they were getting backstage. Jemaine said he got "about 40, on average, for this one night." Bret first claimed to have gotten "Just the one," but after Jemaine reminded him that they were lying and he could have said a much larger number, it was amended to "4,017 blowjobs."

The lights took too long to dim during the fade-out to Think About It forcing the Conchords to throw in some more fun fade-out improvisation.
BRET: "The lights guy was probably getting a blowjob, you know, when they're really good they can be extremely distracting"
JEMAINE: "Yeah, sorry, Detroit, this show is really blowjob-heavy."
BRET: "We'll clean it up for the next show."
JEMAINE: "Yeah, we'll clean it up for the late-night show."
BRET: "Bring your kids."

When two people got up to go to the bathroom, Jemaine pretended to call security to kill them, then acted impressed when they later returned to their seats alive and well.

When someone asked for Murray, the Conchords kindly explained that he was a fictional character and was most likely hanging out with Jabba the Hutt.

During Sugarlumps, Bret pretended to ask girls up to the audience only to back away as if they were rushing the stage, saying things like "Get up here, get up here - OH, WHOAH, HEY THERE, BACK OFF." He did this to two embarrassed girls.

Someone shouted "WE LIKE TO ROCK THE PARTY!" and the Conchords IMMEDIATELY, without even thinking, jumped right into a short on-the-spot rendition, complete with Bret showcasing his crazy beatboxing skills.
After it was over:
JEMAINE: "Thank god for that heckler."
BRET: "I got saliva all over my hand."
JEMAINE: "Whose is it?"
BRET: "...from the beatboxing."

Jemaine threw his drumsticks to people in the front row and, when he realized he only had one left, then politely asked for some to be returned because they had another show to do. Bret came to the rescue when he pulled out a backup pair.

There were really cool limited edition posters on sale after the show. They had a drawing of Bret and Jemaine on a small boat in appropriate outfits with a large sea-monster in the water behind them. It has details about the show on it. They were being sold for $30. I've attached a photo.

Overall it was an awesome show, definitely a wonderful experience. There were a handful of hecklers but thanks to the Conchords' combined quick wits, they actually enhanced the show. Hell, we even got a quick Rock The Party out of it.

- Alec

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I can't comment on the, um, adult bits as I wasn't there (darn it!) and they did indeed clean it up for the 11 pm show. :)

But if the posters were actually $30, then I owe Kelly $10 and she has some 'splainin to do! :tsk: :)
ImageImage

ufotofu
Lost but happy at sea

Postby ufotofu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:16 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Mostly of Jemaine purposely confusing what hecklers said as something completely ludicrous. For instance, something like, "Happy Annex Day!" - Bret turned into, "Take my baby"

These were the two girls shouting "Happy ANZAC day" (Australia-New Zealand Army Corps: sort of equivalent to Memorial day in the US) but whose Kiwi accents made it hard even for Jemaine to understand until they shouted it a second time, and he realized they were of his own race. Coincidentally, April 25th is also the day Stana comes to town, at least in Detroit.

Also loved how Jemaine bragged that the Conchords not only brought rap to America, but also the Motown sound.

His banter while shouting out 'Detroit!' to get a rise out of the audience was great, explaining that they'd been working on it a long time at other shows but this was the first time it got such a crowd reaction.
Would you like to see my stimulus package??

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”