April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:44 am

And here's for the late show! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 am

Unlocking this one also. Ditto the earlier show thread please :)

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:45 am

just got home from both gigs.
i'm speechless....
i'm bleary eyed...(yay fine dust particles blowing around the streets of detroit...)
more in the morning...it's 3am...more in a few hours...
both shows were flippin fantastic...
yes there was a meet & greet...
first bret....
then jemaine...
simply lovely guys all the way around....really. the. nicest. guys. EVER.
need sleep...
stay tuned...
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:14 am

Were there a lot of empty seats? Looks like the scalpers ate it looking at Craigslist.
:clap:

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:55 am

Oh ardy, so happy you had a great time! I have been relishing Turnips accounts of the meet and greet over on the second Toronto thread. I can't wait to hear about your encounters as well!

I hope it was everything you imagined!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:02 am

Oh Lordy.....what a great night. :)

We got there at 10 o'clok and the traffic was Hell. We sat- unmoving- on Woodward for 10-15 minutes and decided to park somewhere other than the structure where people had only begun going to their cars.

So we got in, finally got to our seats- and I could NOT believe how close we were!!! The orchestra pit was raised only a bit and there were cushioned chairs laid out. We were on the far left and only about 15-20 feet from Jemaine.

There were sooooooooooo many people, we walked thru the metal detector, a guy looked in my purse for a nanosecond and that was it! So there was a dude in black who was stationed in the pit and he was really nice. I asked what the policy was for pics- I showed him my camera and how I had the flash and screen covered, and he said getting "some" pics was fine, but no recording and no going overboard. I was fine with that. I only saw 1 person around us get asked to put theirs away and they were filming.

Eugene Mirman was funny- loved the Delta Airlines bit! I forgot to get one of his postcards to send to Delta, darn it! They lost his luggage and jerked him around and he's having his revenge! :twisted:

So they came out with the robot heads, shiny jackets and disco ball cod-pieces and did Too Many Dicks. It was awesome! Quite a bit of banter after that, they asked if all of Detroit was there in the theater....then they did Hurt Feelings and Bret messed up, causing Jemaine to start making up new parts about being humiliated in front of thousands after messing up a song... :lol:

They both were in good spirits, Jemaine especially seemed very happy and smiley throughout. They handled any heckling easily and with jokes, someone yelled out Australia and Jemaine said "Did someone just yell Australia???" Then they played a bit of Men at Works' Down Under. They explained to us about the underwear......and how Detroit gets the distinction of......well, I'll let Ardy or Kelly or BadAtom or someone else who was at the 8 o'clock tell that bit.

Then came Carol Brown, which I was looking forward to singing with......and we were indeed instructed by Bret to sing the choir part. I don't know if it was because I was so close to the stage and speakers but it didn't seem like lots of people were singing......the WTF people were! (Well, Atom told me he was lip-synching!) I wanted the crowd to be louder! Bret jumped down into the audience and held the mike out. :) No attack was made on his person.

Same with Sellotape.....I felt like not enough people were singing the "brown paper, white paper....." Maybe it was the seats? I had a makeshift earplug in my left ear because we had a speaker right next to us...and I mean right next to us on the edge of the stage. Sometimes I'd take it out and all was fine, then I'd put it back in.

Jenny was great, there were some added-in things that I hadn't heard before, which I can't remember right now....Stana was a riot and like everyone else who's seen it, I loved Jemaine's Molestey-hand-grabbing! :twisted:

Of course on Sugalumps they both got up and strutted around the stage and then the both jumped down into the front row...Jemaine teasing some women- and a man- with his proffered sugalumps....oh, he also sat on the edge of the stage with his legs naughtily spread, teasing the ladies. Then he worked his way down. He pointed at me with his eyebrows raised, singing about how we're all checking out his trunks, rump and lumps and I nodded, :lol:
Then Bret come right down to us (he's back onstage) and bent way back, thrusting out towards us there on the left side. It was awesome. Too bad my close-up was ridiculously blurry! He did do the whole making it look as though a girl tried to get to his sugalumps and then calling for security! :)

Nigel had on the brown suit with powder-blue ruffled shirt, circa 1978. I must agree with everyone- his cello sounded divine. :) Jokes were made about how much we wanted Nigel- he got wonderful receptions- that we could say we'd gone home with the NZ SYmphony Orchestra and NIgel could say he went home with Detroit. :D

My eyes are starting to fail me......here's a setlist- I'm sure there are some songs missing...someone will fill in what I've forgotten:

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Carol Brown
Most Beautiful Girl in the Room
Stana
Rock the Part (short)
Jenny
Foux de Fa Fa (slow)
I'm Not Crying
Pencils in the Wind (Sellotape)
We're both in Love With a Sexy Lady
Sugalumps
*encore....which I had hoped for but was surprised they did because of the time*
Demon Woman
Bowie

Next...the Meet and Greet! :)
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 am

After the show we met up at the gate where the buses were, right behind the Fox. I swear- there were only 40-45 people, max! :) So I guess we waited 30-40 minutes maybe and Bret came out. No barriers, he had 1 security dude trailing him and we waited to be last. :) He was just lovely, very sweet, kind, and gracious. He signed my shirt....the DVD cover for Tom, the CD and a pic of our son! I brought it just to show the guys cuz Jake was wearing his hoody with the guys as Robots with "The Humans are Dead" on it. I told Bret how much jake loved them too and that he'd have come too, except he has Asperger's and the sound would have been waaay too much for him. So he signed the pic, drew some binary solo and a robot pic. How awesome was that?? :D I got a pic with Bret. He signed BadAtom's stuff and may have had a phone convo....Atoms' story to tell! He signed and posed for Kelly. The he went and got on his bus- he was soooo very tired. They were onstage until about 1:20 am. We waited...mmmmmm....20-30 minutes more and out came Jemaine!! *sigh* He's just so beautiful inside and out! (Yes, I'm a Jemainiac.) Again, we were last and that was fine. This one woman was like Greg, I swear! Question after question after question.....then she'd pull him into another picture! :lol:
So when I got him, he was just as nice and direct as everyone has said. When I handed him jake's pic and told him why he didn't come, he said "Oh, I know about that...I have someone....I know about that." Of course I didn't ask for him to elaborate but it was just so sweet of them both to make sure that his pic was specially signed by them both. Jake is going to LOVE it so much!! Then he signed my t-shirt, the CD and DVD for Tom, I got a hug-pic *swoon* and Tom got a big-ol-goofy-grin pic with him. He won't admit it, but I think he has a man-crush. :yawinkle: Oh, and Jemaine signed Tom's TShirt, which has different guitars all over it; :)
I leaned over and told him congratulations on his marriage and the birth of his son and he said "Thank you so much," looking a bit surprised. Which surprised meactuallysince I just assumed he must hear it a lot.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Kelly and I waiting...
(Told you I'd post horrible pics of myself, SheWolf)
Ligs...and shoes....he's coming....
Almost our turn....
It was windy....really, I didn't glue my hair to my face like that-
Tom and Jemaine- Look at that goofy grin! I love it!
Signing Jake's pic-
Jake's Pic-
(I was taking a picture of a picture, hence the double time-stamp.)

Here's the stuff:

TShirt Sigs:

Please forgive typos....I must get some sleep now.....
ImageImage

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:24 am

^^
Wow, you were quick with that report! I'm giving myself a few hours of sleep before I spill my guts. :)

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Wow Laura, what a great story! I am very happy you guys got to meet them, even after SUCH a long night of playing. Amazing that they signed everything for you as well... Just the nicest guys ever!

Jem looks like his was in fine form last night- entirely relaxed and having fun, even at 2:30 in the morning!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the WTFers experiences too!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:59 pm

:prayer: LauraK, I snagged this pic - please let me know if that's not OK and I will delete it (although I will die a little inside as I do it. :wink:)

Thanks so much for the great recap - looking forward to hearing your story, Bad Atom! You too, Ardy!

gnomer
New arrival

Postby gnomer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:12 pm

WOO-HOO Laura! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you get motion sick on the risers in the pit? I was not feeling great after the show LOL

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Oh my gosh Laura that was a wonderful account! Thanks so much for sharing your recap and pics! They came out great. The concert sounds like it was so much fun and of course the boys were really sweet afterwards. Yay I can't wait to read more accounts from other WTF'ers :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:39 pm

WOW Laura, thanks for the great recap and photos. I love how they made your son's pic so special!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:19 pm

mockingbird wrote:
am temporarily speechless after looking at this photo....off to lie down... :rolleyes: :prayer:
90% evil
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:34 pm

SheWolf wrote:
mockingbird wrote:
am temporarily speechless after looking at this photo....off to lie down... :rolleyes: :prayer:

Agreed.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”