May 5, Nokia Theatre, Dallas TX

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Re: May 5, Nokia Theatre, Dallas TX

Postby DangerMouse » Wed May 06, 2009 11:40 pm

I did my undergrad up in Denton (Go Pioneers !) so I spent a lot of time in Dallas... and I will have to agree they have way way too many of these specialty shops, it is absurd. And as far as the meet and greets go, it might be because the places they are playing are kinda big.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 06, 2009 11:49 pm

No, they've already done m&g's in big venues- myself and some other WTFers were at the one in Detroit. The Fox theater seats over 5100....and they'd done 2 shows that night. It was laaaaaaaaate and they were awesome. :)

Either their mgt is overprotecting them like a MamaBear or it's an excuse to get out of m&g's.......:( (Please, No!)

BUT...from all I've read and from meeting them in person- they just don't strike me as wanting to 'get out of it.'

Read some of the gig threads- there've been loads of meet and greets so far. Hopefully, there'll be more. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu May 07, 2009 12:12 am

90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

:lol: Looks like someone's not taking a siesta!
Great pics in there....
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 am

LauraK wrote:Either their mgt is overprotecting them like a MamaBear or it's an excuse to get out of m&g's.......:( (Please, No!)

BUT...from all I've read and from meeting them in person- they just don't strike me as wanting to 'get out of it.

Good point. It must be their Management. If they wanted to get out of it, they could have gotten away without doing them in the first place.

Oh, Bret. Showing off again?
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 am

:spit: Best picture EVER*

*so far this week. :wink:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu May 07, 2009 6:15 am

LOVE the things Bret did with that sombrero! Jemaine: "I just got hit by Bret's sugalumps...." :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZoQfSvfIrc
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon May 18, 2009 7:16 pm

An email sent in by a fan

Hi I really enjoy your site & especially appreciated the tour info. I haven't seen anything on the Dallas show yet, which probably just means you're swamped - but I figure it's only fair that I share with you the one time I have information just in case any of it is news to you (in no particular order)...

The show was officially sold out. If there were any last minute tickets released I missed them - and no pesky empty seats to be seen during the show.

A Penelope Princess of pets t-shirt is among the merch offerings. The band meeting shirt is now no longer a ringer - just a tan shirt w/white text front and back. The poster tonight was blue with the guys in a plane w/ various other critters.

Eugene's set was well received - I was pleasantly surprised that so many people were actually listening to and enjoying the opening act. The big monitors on either side of the stage really helped with all the small visual aides he had... and then completely messed with him when he tried to show a video. It started almost at the end and then looped around and replayed after he'd come back on stage and started talking. He ended with a hilarious bit about his hatred for Delta (losing his luggage) and passed out postcards around the front rows for fans to send in to the airline... and then he introduced the band...

The Conchord's set was very similar to the one you posted for Kent, OH - omitting "A Kiss Is Not A Contract" and "Robots" in favor of "Foux du Fafa" and "Think About It". I'm sure you've seen the YouTube videos of some of the musical highlights so I won't go into those except to say:

Eugene also made mention of many / varied condom shops. I'm not from Texas so don't know where they did their sightseeing... maybe the lower Greenville area... I'm amused that condom shops made such a big impression. I'm guessing they've never been to the French Quarter either.

The sombrero given to Bret during Sexylady / Sugalumps was because it was Cinco de Mayo... obviously he has a different take on the Mexican hat dance!

I know "Demon Woman" is evolving on stage - but that *had* to be one of the best performances so far - the high point of the show for me for sure!

Bret has a little rhymenoceros stuck to the top of his main acoustic guitar.

Nigel joined them on-stage pretty early on and played on most of the songs. He seemed pleased when the guys told him some of the girls in the front said he was hot.

It was mentioned that Snoop Dogg was also playing that night. They thanked us for seeing them instead, then mentioned that they'd have liked to see Snoop Dogg... They commented on people walking down the aisles... and... wearing hats. No major hecklers to speak of - They heard "some Xenas, some warrior princesses" in the audience... causing even more feminine yelping from the upper decks - and if any of the requests were for Freebird, I didn't hear and they didn't acknowledge them. Somebody started the "band meeting" thing, which they finished - but not very enthusiastically... it was funny the first hundred or so times...

We were invited to join Bret as the chorus of ex-girlfriends on "Carol Brown" & though they didn't seem too impressed with our performance, Jemaine thought of having us all go to Houston and surprise the audience there by showing up behind them on stage to sing.

Jemaine mentioned a woman filming "the whole show" in the front... said she should at least cover the red light w/ tape. Then he called to Matt to come and take a picture of her from stage... which was tricky as he wore one of the robot heads from "Too Many Dicks" for most of the evening.

After a long explaination of how they'd traveled back in time to teach Bowie his hits from one of his own future songbooks, Jemaine pointed out "a Bret" in the audience. He eventually decided that it was Bret from the future there to warn present day Bret not to play the next song....

So that's it from me. Sorry my spell check doesn't seem to be working... best from... no one you know, actually

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 18, 2009 9:34 pm

Nice recap, No-one. :) Thanks!
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”