May 7- Austin, Texas

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

May 7- Austin, Texas

Postby tvldiva » Tue May 05, 2009 9:47 pm

FYI- Anyone looking for tickets, I noticed lots of them on Craigslist Austin. While some are jacked up, there are quite a few that are at face value.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: May 7- Austin, Texas

Postby poptartgirl » Fri May 08, 2009 4:29 pm

Nicole from the conchords.net site posted this video of Freeky :

http://www.conchords.net/2009/05/08/bei ... -in-austin
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri May 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Hm - SW do you pay for your flickr account? I'm wondering if you get access to more pictures if you pay for your account. I just can't believe of all those cameras I saw that night there'd be 3 pictures from the show online.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri May 08, 2009 7:45 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Hm - SW do you pay for your flickr account? I'm wondering if you get access to more pictures if you pay for your account. I just can't believe of all those cameras I saw that night there'd be 3 pictures from the show online.

Kelly which thread was this meant to be in and I can move it for you :)

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri May 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Here is a pic and article in the concert hall flyer-
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 08, 2009 9:32 pm

M.W. Olsen- :clap: The words you used, the sentences you strung together- lovely! Great article. :yay:

Thanks for posting it, tvldiva! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 pm

I believe that the photo and article/bio are the same things that you can find on the SubPop website.
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 am

Yup, I know the pic's seen a lot of action but if one hasn't delved too deeply at the SubPop site.....it would be a new thing! :wink:
like it was fo me
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat May 09, 2009 2:13 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Hm - SW do you pay for your flickr account? I'm wondering if you get access to more pictures if you pay for your account. I just can't believe of all those cameras I saw that night there'd be 3 pictures from the show online.
Yeah I have a pro account you have to pay for it - you get alot more space.

I think this may be from Austin but as we have no reportage from there I'm not sure. Great pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drop_dead_ ... 783792127/
Last edited by SheWolf on Sat May 09, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 09, 2009 2:24 am

First, to stay on topic: The golden pants made a return for this show! Also, someone yelled "Texan Odyssey!" and the guys made up an impromptu song called, "Take your shirts off, Austin"

Off topic - SW - Does it give you access to everyone's pictures? Because I do a search for the Detroit gig every day and I get like 10 pictures. Only 3 of which are from the show - the rest are pictures of the theater's ceiling and whatnot. I am just wondering if you get special access to pictures with a paid account versus just searching the site

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat May 09, 2009 2:27 am

No you don't get special acces to pix. The Detroit show is simply this year's Town Hall (meaning last year very few pix turned up from their first night at Town Hall & virtually no meet and greet pix even though we know there was a M&G right Nancy? :wink: )
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 09, 2009 2:48 am

Well - I'm thinking I'm going to steal some really good pictures from other shows just so I have a nice picture to put in my collage. I have a really good one from the Detroit show with their robot heads on during TMD, but I want a really good one of the three of them on stage. I've found some from other shows, but none from the Detroit one. I'm thinking of using one from Austin (Jemaine's wearing a sweater :heart: ), with the rainbow lights from Albi. But I'm not married to this idea...what do you guys think?

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 09, 2009 2:58 am

Hey...didn't you like my slightly-blurry pics? :rolleyes: Michael got some good ones. How about Ardy- or did she not take pics during the show? Hm, she hasn't posted hers yet....

Just me...but I'd only want pics from our show, perfect or not. Tho using only 1 excellent one is a good idea, too. :) Maybe that lovely rock-star one of them holding their instruments high......
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat May 09, 2009 3:22 am

*sigh*

Concert Review: Flight of the Conchords

Well, that was a rather underwhelming hour and 40 minutes, as Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie took their 1,000-capacity act to the 3,000-seat Bass Concert Hall Thursday night. Because of a hit show on HBO, Flight of the Conchords have inspired a growing cult audience of college-aged kids, but it was evident at the sold out show that they’ve skipped a few steps up the ladder of stagemanship. This was a crowd with a big crush, but FOTC couldn’t deliver beyond a few charming adlib moments.

A few tunes, including “Ballad of Stana,” an epic old West number “with duration issues,” “Albi (the Racist Dragon) and the faux French bossa nova ‘Foux du fa fa,’ were complete wastes of time, as this musical parody duo has been coddled by fan woship. Can that lame “Busdriver’s Song,” too. This set was in bad need of tightening up.

The main problem was evident early in the set, as “The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)” lost its subtle grace: the vocals were so loud that the guitars were drowned out. “Jenny,” the ode to mistaken identity, was another casualty of a mix that chose comedy over music. Fortunately, those two songs have been so YouTubed into the audience’s consciousness that they went over spectacularly.

The show was at its funniest when the duo (augmented by “the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra,” as their cellist was introduced) conversed between songs in a mix of planned patter and improvisation. Noticing a couple of empty seats in the first row, the pair stared at the tiny defeat, restoring their TV persona as a couple of lovable losers. When a woman arrived 45 minutes into the set to claim one of the seats, Clement and McKenzie made her part of the show, filling her in on what she missed, which was really not much.

It wasn’t until the end of the show that FOTC turned in any kind of interesting performance, leaving their stools to tease “the ladies” on “Sugalumps” and encoring with “Robots” and “Business Time.” There was also a funny bit about how the audience, which kept throwing t-shirts onstage, should’ve been tossing panties. There was delight in the deadpan all night.

But then they came out for one encore too many, a throwaway “Demon Woman” that they had no business dressing up in costumes. When Clement apologized to those who “were relieved that we were over” he was speaking to me.

Comedian Eugene Mirman, who has a small recurring role in “Flight of the Conchords,” opened the show with a too loud set that hinged on an angry letter he wrote to Delta Airlines. They may have lost his luggage, but they gave him a funny bit.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 09, 2009 3:27 am

:hrmpf:
ImageImage