May 17 - Salt Lake City

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: May 17 - Salt Lake City

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:SW - Since I won't get the chance to steal your idea, could you tell me pretty please? :eyelashes:

I promise to :silence:

:pray:

I'll beg if I have to...I will :waggle:

secondsies.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 am

prettyrobyngirl wrote:
Dandy, you might be in the lead for best Jemaine picture ever.

Aww... thanks robyn!! :D You know, I didn't even think about it, but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the only "heart hand" photo with Jemaine since I had to demonstrate for him. I have a unique pic! Hurray!

SheWolf - I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve! What other show(s) are you attending?
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:26 am

SheWolf wrote:This is hands down my fave tour poster. I would have bought it. :nod: This person has some good pics all of which spell Jem's name wrong. I'm tired of correcting people so I'm letting this one go.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lephty/3540922929/

That is a pretty great poster. :nod: In fact, there's some pretty great pictures in that set. I'm particularly fond of this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lephty/354 ... otostream/ But Bret! That posture!!! :shock: Goodness! If I sat at the piano like that, my teacher probably would've beat the mess out of me... :lol:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Tue May 19, 2009 2:30 am

LSully9 wrote:That is a pretty great poster. :nod: In fact, there's some pretty great pictures in that set. I'm particularly fond of this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lephty/354 ... otostream/ But Bret! That posture!!! :shock: Goodness! If I sat at the piano like that, my teacher probably would've beat the mess out of me... :lol:

Wow, Bret looks AWESOME there. I know, if my piano teacher ever caught me playing like that, I would have been in big trouble...but Bret certainly pulls it off WONDERFULLY... :love:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Lettie
New arrival

Postby Lettie » Tue May 19, 2009 2:43 am

In case anyone was interested, another review for another local paper:

Flight of the Conchords keeps audiences rolling in the aisles
Review » Duo brings songs from their HBO show to life.

By Sheena Mcfarland

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 05/18/2009 05:30:01 PM MDT

A significantly younger crowd than usual filled Abravanel Hall Sunday night to hear the "not Australian" duo Flight of the Conchords perform a night of off-beat humor and on-beat music.

A description of the New Zealanders' band, which consists of Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, can be a bit tricky. The two have adapted their songs into an eponymous show on HBO, and their comedy strikes a fine balance between awkward geekdom and sexy rock star.

They opened Sunday's concert beneath crystal chandeliers wearing square robot masks and disco ball codpieces for the techno song "Too Many D**** on the Floor."

"It's a song about a situation we get into to sometimes," Clement told the sold-out crowd. "We really wanted to tackle that topic and really try to explore what it means for us. That last part was a reflection on our collective mortality, but it was the instrumental part, so I don't think many people pick up the subtext of the song."

It was difficult to tell when the audience laughed harder, be it during the middle of songs such as Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros -- with Clement's unforgettable ad lib lyric of "my rhymes are so potent I just made the ladies in the first 10 rows pregnant. Congratulation, bitches!" -- or during the bandmates' dissection of the songs' meanings.

The two even covered well during a momentary sound malfunction that resulted in a screeching squawk during a song about a couple's scheduled love-making in "Business Time."

"A pteradactyl just flew into our room, baby," Clement quipped, and then resumed crooning sensuous, comical lyrics in his deep bass voice.

For all the band's joking and self-mockery, both Clement and McKenzie are excellent musicians, switching between guitars, drums and keyboards. They both have expansive vocal ranges, and their ability to spit out lyrics intelligibly at rapid speeds is impressive.

That talent is on display as they sing about subjects such as robots taking over the world after "The Humans are Dead" and makes an audience burst into roaring laughter as the pair grabs their disco ball codpieces and provocatively danced in the Abravanel's impressive gold-leafed detailed concert hall.

smcfarland@sltrib.com

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue May 19, 2009 2:47 am

Lettie wrote:"A pteradactyl just flew into our room, baby"

And here I thought I couldn't adore that man any more

:prayer:
Last edited by kellysouthpaw on Tue May 19, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Tue May 19, 2009 2:49 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Lettie wrote:"A pteradactyl just flew into our room, baby [/color]

And here I thought I couldn't adore that man any more

:prayer:

Too true... :love:
I just laughed out loud when I read that pteradactyl bit :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue May 19, 2009 4:17 am

Plus155, you are very tall. The kind of tall that makes me feel really short. I like that. Welcome to the funhouse!

Plus155
New arrival

Postby Plus155 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:53 am

Bad Atom wrote:Plus155, you are very tall. The kind of tall that makes me feel really short. I like that. Welcome to the funhouse!

Haha, thanks man. I felt like Jemaine was going to be as tall as me, if not taller.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 19, 2009 1:52 pm

LauraK wrote:Looks like your talk of the misspelling got it taken care of, SW!
Oh how surprising. I figured the person would think I’m a jerk for pointing it out but I got a thank you. I corrected 2 other people today on flickr. Let’s see what happens there.

kellysouthpaw wrote:SW - Since I won't get the chance to steal your idea, could you tell me pretty please? :eyelashes: I promise to :silence: :pray: I'll beg if I have to...I will :waggle:
No way lady. To utter it or type it would be to jinx it. It may not happen but if it does it will be cool.

dandy lyons wrote: You know, I didn't even think about it, but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the only "heart hand" photo with Jemaine since I had to demonstrate for him. I have a unique pic! Hurray!

SheWolf - I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve! What other show(s) are you attending?
Aw he didn’t know how to make a hand heart?

Dandy - Berkeley but the tickets that were supposed to arrive days ago still haven't and I'm off to Cali on Thurs. :nails:
90% evil
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

How many of you ladies are going to Berkeley???? SheWolf, Amanda and....???? So jealous!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Mmmm, Jemaine can make the most ridiculous things sound viryviry sixy.... :love: Thanks for posting that, Lettie. I also liked this:
their comedy strikes a fine balance between awkward geekdom and sexy rock star.

I think the balance tends to tip toward sexy rock star.... :jc:

Michael....you know, I think you and Jemaine are exactly the same height. Meaning? Nothing....just noticed your eyes are at the same level and thought I'd mention it...:dunno: :)

Today, SW. They will arrive today.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 19, 2009 2:10 pm

Really? That's not what fed ex tracking says. :roll:

Atom does appear the same height as Jem - are you 6'2" Atom? I've noticed that Jem doesn't have much of a neck. I think that's part of what makes his shoulders seem so big, they are just right up there by his head - LOL. You can see the neck differences between Jem & Atom pretty clearly.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Oh, he has enough neck.... :drool:

Darn....what does FedEx say??? It better be tomorrow! :shock:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Fed Ex status says "initiated" - the same status it's been since Friday when the jerk faced moron was supposed to ship them. :###:

Aw yeah he's got enough neck. :whip: :bounce:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”