May 22 - Santa Barbara

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

May 22 - Santa Barbara

Postby songbird » Fri May 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Anybody going to this one?
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: May 22 - Santa Barbara

Postby Venus » Sat May 23, 2009 3:50 am

I just went on Twitter and there are a few tweets mentioning that Pierce Brosnan is at the show right now. As well as Puddy from Seinfeld and Brian Bell....apparently :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 23, 2009 4:44 am

BRIAN BELL FROM WEEZER!? I LOVE WEEZER!

*sigh* If Rivers Cuomo is attendance at that concert right now, my heart is going to explode from my chest. Rivers and Jemaine being in the same room is too much sexy for those poor, poor people.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sat May 23, 2009 7:18 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:BRIAN BELL FROM WEEZER!? I LOVE WEEZER!

*sigh* If Rivers Cuomo is attendance at that concert right now, my heart is going to explode from my chest. Rivers and Jemaine being in the same room is too much sexy for those poor, poor people.

WHUT?! :shock:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

skipsabn
New arrival

Postby skipsabn » Sat May 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Good show. Weird audience. Everyone sat down the whole time (except for at the end when they busted out on Sugalumps) and the most of the seats are benches too small for everyone to be sitting at the same time! The best part was Bret kept saying Santa "Brabra". Didn't see any of the above mentioned celebs but I don't have a good eye for those things.

I can't remember the exact order but the show seemed short:

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Most Beautiful
Stana
Robots
Ryhmenocerous
Motha Uckas (w/ Bret on drums)
I'm Not Crying
Jenny
Bus Driver
Business Time (w/ monitor guy Matt on drums)
Epileptic Dogs
Faux de Fa Fa
Told You I was Freaky
Love with a sexy girl/ Sugalumps
Encores were Albi and Bowie

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 23, 2009 7:01 pm

skipsabn wrote:The best part was Bret kept saying Santa "Brabra".

I love it! Tell us more! Was there a meet & greet? Did you get any pictures?
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat May 23, 2009 7:42 pm

Sent in by a fan :)

Here's a list of songs that Katie and I (Sam) could remember. Unfortunately, we couldn't get them in order :(

Too Many Dicks
Hurt Feelings
Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)
Stana
I'm Not Cryin'
Jenny
Business Time
I Told You I Was Freekie
Mutha 'Uckas
Foux Du Fafa
Rhymenocerous vs. Hiphopopotomas
Robots
Epileptic Dogs
Busdriver's Song
We're Both in Love with a Sexy Lady
Sugar Lumps

Encore
Albi the Racist Dragon
Bowie

Also, during the show a stagehand brought Bret and Jemaine a cup of tea because of the cold, and an audience member called out "Suck it up!". Both guys thought it funny and made mocking comments like, "If I was up there, I would tear up that guitar! Fire would be coming out of my fingers!" (Jemaine) until finally Bret said, "Yeah, f*** you." and started the song.

Somebody threw a blanket on stage and Bret wore it for a little while until Jemaine noticed someone wearing a blue T-Shirt and "looking cold" so he gave the blanket to him.

A group of girls sitting in the front row invited Jemaine to sit with them, to which he declined because it would have been problematic, as someone would have to take over for him.

The guys noticed a few empty seats in the front row and called for a group in the back row to take them. Later I overheard somebody saying that they couldn't believe an usher actually came and took them from the back row to the front.

Arj Barker stood out to the side of the stage before the show (unnoticed) until we jumped up and waved. He half-heartedly waved back and then flipped us the bird. We screamed and everyone noticed and started to scream and he proceeded to run away behind the tour bus. :)

Sorry for the long email... the show was AWESOME!!

Thanks!
Sam and Katie

songbird

Postby songbird » Sat May 23, 2009 8:13 pm

skipsabn wrote:The best part was Bret kept saying Santa "Brabra".

:roll2:
That is hilarious!! Oh Bret-y :D

Image Image

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Sat May 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I love the back to front row thing. :D It always pisses me off when front row seats are wasted. Also, when people with front row seats show up late. There should be a mandatory early arrival for people with front row seats. :p

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks skipsabn, Sam and Katie for the show info! :) Just how cold was it, exactly?

They should've had the tea during R vs H...."There ain't no party like my stagehand's tea-partay......heeeeey, hoooo!"

Yis, good to hear people stuck in back got to have those wasted seats! :D

Any more details- please feel free to come back and share more....we love hearing about it all. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

skipsabn
New arrival

Postby skipsabn » Sat May 23, 2009 9:11 pm

It was pretty cold! Luckily being crammed into the benches had it's perks for body warmth. That was about it.

Jemaine doing a spot on Schwarzenegger impersonation during Robots was also a highlight. He wondered why we Californians would elect a murdering robot as our Governor.

When someone threw a flower Jemaine commented "Oh look a flower! For future reference it's supposed to be panties. But the flower is nice..."

Bret jumped into the first row to give the lady in the front row a close up of his Sugalumps. Someone threw him a teabag which he presumed was safe. He thought it was a condom at first, and was disappointed it was only tea...

Where the bus was it was hard to get to so I can only presume unless you were in the know there wasn't much of an op for fans to meet and greet. Going again tomorrow night to the Greek. After seeing the show at The Orpheum last year it's weird seeing them in bigger places. The audience last night seemed a apathetic for the most part. It seemd to go by quick and they only did 2 encores. The DG-20 was onstage but no BOOM.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat May 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Aw man...never give up on the meet and greet. When they played Detroit, the buses were in a fenced, locked yard and we gathered there. They both came out and we had a lovely m&g. :)

:lol: on electing a murdering robot as governor! I need to check the vids and hear him do Ahnold....I think I may have heard 1 clip but it wasn't really clear.
Bummer to be teased with the DG-20 and not get Boom.

I hope you get to meet them tomorrow! You really should consider bringing some panties to throw- they'd LOVE it! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

songbird

Postby songbird » Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 pm

LauraK wrote:Bummer to be teased with the DG-20 and not get Boom.

I hope you get to meet them tomorrow! You really should consider bringing some panties to throw- they'd LOVE it! :D

This happened in Toronto as well...before the show started (we got there REALLY early) we could see it on the stage with all of the other various instruments, and I said to my sister "IT'S THE DG 20!!" but alas...no Boom.

And yes, I would reccomend bringing some panties to throw. They'd definitely like that, and it'll bring up some good banter as well :D

Sounds like the show was great though!!

Image Image

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 23, 2009 9:57 pm

skipsabn wrote:When someone threw a flower Jemaine commented "Oh look a flower! For future reference it's supposed to be panties. But the flower is nice..."

The DG-20 was onstage but no BOOM.

Thanks for the details! Jemaine... :rolls: I miss that man. Did you get any pictures? What were they wearing? Oh, how they tease us with the DG-20! It makes me want to boom to my boom and boom. :cry:

If you think of anything else... :pray: let us know. Great recap!
Image..Image..Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks skipsabn for the recap and welcome to the forum :D
And thanks to Sam and Katie for sending that in. I hope the boys get a lot more panties during their last few gigs :lol: Love the fact that people in the back got to sit in the front.
And I could totally see all the Santa 'BrahBrah' jokes coming haha :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”