Flight of The Conchords part 2

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Flight of The Conchords part 2

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:43 am

Yes its that time of the week again. The day after Sunday. Where I try to get inspired to write something vaguely interesting about stuff. Here I go...
What I said last week still applies. Only we are down to 4 parts left for me to torment you with :shock: 'O rapturous joy' I hear you say.
Hoping people reading this have managed to hear the show somehow and therefore have a clue about what I am going on about.

So what do we know this week that we didn't last... Conchords BBC Radio show info

Episode details - 2: The Conchords are in York supporting 'Dan & The Panda' and Bret has a problem with his body image.... can Neil Finn save the day?

Cast list

Bret McKenzie - himself
Jemaine Clement - himself
Brian Nesbitt - Rhys Darby
Dan (and the Panda) - Daniel Kitson
Tim/Bernard - Dan Antalpoloski
Female fan - Nina Conti
Male fan - Jimmy Carr
Rob Brydon - Narrator
Neil Finn - himself

Rob Brydon. Narrator. His best bits this week for me included

"In their dressing room the guys are taken aside by the headliner and given a motivational pep talk"- just between the urianals and the hand dryer"

"ready to flop into bed with their complimentary mints"

A bit about Daniel Kitson

Chuffing hell!

Daniel Kitson official site

Chortle rewiew

Now I have to admit I don't know much about Kitson. He won the Perrier award at the Edinburgh Fringe back in 2002. And he shares the same management in the UK as the Conchords. Might explain how his working on the show came about maybe? Or the guys might of just ran into him one day and asked him if he wanted to stick his hand up a stuffed panda :shock:

And I bet you were thinking Dan and the Panda do not really exist. What with it being a (partly) fictional radio show and all that. Well ladies and gentlemen, I have proof they do....

Dan and the Panda

A bit about Dan Antopolski

Read about him over at Chortle

Dan performed at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Gala back in 2003. FoThe C performed there also that year. The plot thickens. And woo they won an award. Has also performed at the Edinburgh Fringe over the years. Maybe he ran into the guys there. Or perhaps Bernard did :P

Now when I head the show for the first time I could not place who this actor/comedian was. I did a bit of digging and came up with this
Can watch an interview with the man on this page

A bit about Jimmy Carr

He has an official site and Chortle has this to say on him.

I am not a fan. Of the man. I don't know why. Maybe its because his hair annoys me. Its just :doh: He needs to make an appointment and get it cut properly. Or maybe its because whenever I see his smug face peering at me from the TV I am half asleep and just want to grab his cheeks and shake them. And I mean his facial ones. Not the ones he sits on :shock: Anyway, he redeemed himself. Just enough for me to stop wanting to grab his chops.
Howso? you ask.
Top Gear I say!
Top Gear?
Yes.
A Star In A Reasonably Priced Car.

Jimmy tops the chart. If you have no idea what I am talking about, go visit the Top Gearsite and have a read. And then go watch Jimmy's lap Its at the bottom of the page. You should be able to find it :lol:

Jimmy Carr also shares the same management company in UK. Are you seeing a pattern here?

Stuff written about Jimmy

For someone on the brink of doing rather well on the other side of the Atlantic, Carr doesn't admit to any particular ambitions in that area. "I go where the work takes me" he said. "Its not like rock and roll where you have to go and break America. It's already broken. When we get American stand-ups, we get the very best like David Cross and Demetri Martin, people who are intelligent and really funny. But when you go there, you realise how lame a lot of it is."

And onto the show.

Songs featured in part 2 - Bowie, HipHopopotamus v Rhymenoscerous, Bret You Got It Going On!

In Dan and the Panda territory this week. York. Home of the York National Railway Museum. See map below.

The Yorkshire Railway Museum needs some coverage. So I am sending you here for a 360 tour It was a pivotal part of this weeks show after all. Well, Tim was. Actually, no, it was Bernard, who was Tim, only he was pretending to be Bernard when he came up with the CD deal for the band.

Bits I love from the show

When Tim tells the guys he likes the whole rural Kiwi idiots act. Then he asks where they are from, London based? They answer New Zealand.

Jemaine talking about Bowie crossing over from novelty music to serious stuff, seriously, and then Bret does the whole off with the faries thing telling about Bowie singing about being in space. And living in space back in the 70's. The dialogue between them both is priceless. The whole reality from fantasy thing.

Brian's brilliant calling to Branson at Virgin Records and looking for a CD deal. 2 for £10. Slowly dawns that he is talking to a Virgin mega store.

I still think Bret should say "Bye Mum", at the start of HipHop, as the intro phone call winds up. The radio/studio version of that song is heavy with little touches they can't do live. And it has the glockenspiel :D

The whole phone conversation between Brian and Bernard

Jemaine's song for cheering Bret up.

The detail in narration about the hotel mini bar and towels.

Jemaine talking the band *out* of a record deal. And not being about the merchandise, more about the music. Priceless.

Lines/quotes from the show

Brian - "Which track do you like best?"
Bernard - "Er, the second one"

"Please sign them" - Brian says to Bernard

Jemaine - "Actually, I've written a song, to cheer you up Bret"
Bret - "For me?"
Jemaine - "Yeah......I hope this isn't, too er, too gay to write your mate a song"
Silence........
Bret - "Seems a bit gay... yeah"

And one classic song is then sung.

Brian calling Neil Finn - "Hi Neil, umm, sorry, I think my phone, accidentally, rang you!"

And I am done. Once more. The floor is all yours. All I ask is swooning be left elsewhere. By all means have fun, but, yeah, well, I didn't do all this with swooning in mind :shock:
Last edited by Sherry on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:06 am

Yup - the "Please sign them" moment is priceless. And then "okay" and Bernard becomes swept away by the joy of it all.

The moment when Bret stops Jemaine at the end of his song. He's so put off by the notion of having a wig put on him. Ugh.

It's probably my favorite episode.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Lovelynhot
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Lovelynhot » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:48 am

Oh man I only got to get part of it. Darn dial up!!!!! What I did get was pretty good. I wish I would have gotten the part about Jermaine singing Bret’s got it goin on though.

Just Pam, Not any Wham Bam Pam

Ain't no party like my nana's tea party

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:15 am

I just realized ... Is Jimmy Carr the one who was a host of a Comedy Central game show in which contestants were essentially tortured? I'm blanking on the name of the show, but I do remember him, and he was quite funny.

I also loved the desperation of Brian asking for the band to be signed. It's so perfectly delivered.

And Bret's horror of Jemaine's song is hiliarious.

I love Brian's admition of his "secret" as to why he has to have his own bed. And the guys' quick capitulation.

Plus, I've actually been to York, so I can visualize it all that little more easily.

I need to listen to the show again to add more. This one was one of my favorites.

And even if Neil Finn doesn't save the day, he always adds so much almost shocked humor to each episode.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Ellen » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:44 am

Things I loved about this episode:

The Dan and the Panda bit. I did not realize there was an actual panda; my I am getting such an education.
“I found a bit of bamboo.” Exactly where in York does one find fresh bamboo?

I thought HipHopopotamus v Rhymenoscerous came across wonderfully in this episode. I agree that the song does have some visual elements, but they were circumvented very well for the radio performance. Hints of Asthma Interlude in the background too…love that, 'natch.

Brian’s wheeling & dealing on the phone with Virgin Records: “Looking for a CD deal”. “Probably three to four hundred.” Brilliant.

“Bret You’ve Got it Goin’ On” This may be my favorite song of the series. I think I have a dysfunctional relationship with BYGIGO because it pops into my head at very inopportune moments. Bret’s participation in his own tribute song is absolutely priceless.

I also enjoyed the way the wig fetish from BYGIGO was brought into Brian’s conversation with Neil Finn. I would have loved it if Neil had taken this and really run with it, telling the most outrageous touring story ever. Thus leaving the guys wondering if they are really living it up enough on the road.

Brian’s dismay at the ruse that has been perpetrated for his benefit. “Well, I just thought it was EMI uniform.” Great, just great.

conchordgirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby conchordgirl » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:02 am

I think I've said before that Episodes 2 and 5 are my favorites. This episode mostly because of the non-gay love song to Bret.

Dan and the Panda: I enjoyed it but it didn't really make me laugh..I guess I'm saying that it was "consistently mediocre". I don't know why but the phrase "from the get go to the let go" annoys me for some reason.

I loved the "Bowie" song and hearing Jemaine say "nipples". I am NOT swooning, just stating fact. I love Bret explaining Bowie's life in space and Jemaine's reply "See this is where you have to be able to separate reality from fantasy Bret..This problem has gotten us into a lot of trouble before" (paraphrased)

Kipper saying "I've been to loads of Dan and the Panda gigs and never got laid once" :shock:

Rob Brydon's Narration really did add a lot this week. "Stylistic Chameleons"
"Complimentary Mints" "Inner Sadness"

HipHopopotamus v Rhymenoscerous: Perfect..and I always find it odd hearing J saying "his" and Bret say "my" during the line "Ain't no party like "MY" nana's tea party" love J:"Yeah that's the way I do it" I love the bitches and ho's line..Less sexist..

Bret: "I'm going to get the Yorkshire pudding since we are in Yorkshire" (sp?)
Jemaine: "I think I might get that as well..even though I actually want the fish and chips"
Why does that make me laugh?

Introduction of Tim: Funny. I loved the awkwardness of the whole conversation and then J at the end "He was cool."

In the hotel room: "Room Service" Brian explaining why he needs the single bed. "I grope in my sleep" "Let's not talk about it"

Brian calling for the record deal and before he hangs up "The Megastore name was quite confusing..you may just want to think about that..Ok Thank You Very Much Goodbye" (paraphrased)

Bret's plan to cheer up Brian..Why can I see them really doing this..so sweet.."Hello!"

Bret's feeling thin..So sweet and as Fluffy pointed out it's just like a guy to have a compliment like "I think you look ok" It's still so sweet. Still not swooning..But close..

Bernard phoning Brian: Conchordtastic! "Please sign them" and then Bernard getting pulled into getting excited. Coming in on his jet. Outside the York Railroad museum.

I love the in-between music..

My favorite part of the whole show is the "Bret, You've got it going on" song. Someone needs to transcribe these lyrics. I love this song. J:"Help me out now" B:"(I've) got it going on" What does J say "but that doesn't mean I want to B____ you"? Anyone know? I love the line "No doubt about it we'd be getting crazy if one of us was lucky enough to be born a lady" and then about the wig "You look good when I put a wig on you..When you're sleeping and I put a wig on you that's right I lie down and put a wig on you..I put a wig on you and pretend you're my ex-girlfriend or sometimes Winnona Ryder"..Still laughing.. :D

Neil Finn, Spiritual Guru: I loved this part as well.. "One of the guys, Jemaine he's putting a wig on Bret when he's asleep.. I don't know it's a bit weird..is this wig sort of thing a normal thing for bands to do on tour?" "You've been in a situation with wigs?" (paraphrased)

Moving the band again..3 star hotel!!

Jemaine trying to talk "Bernard" out of the contract.."No you're not!"
"Business Time" in the background..Holographic Underwear? "I've heard your demo" and then Bret "That's actually really good" "I've never heard of a band getting that"..lol

Band moving again..Penthouse
18 digit code..Jemaine's admission.."That's why he had that whole conductor look" "Well I just thought it was EMI uniform" J: "We didn't want it to get this far.."

For me this is an A- episode. --Nicole
Last edited by conchordgirl on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, look at me! I'm the magical man from happy land, in a gumdrop house on lollipop laaaaaane!!
Oh by the way I was being sarcastic.--Homer Simpson

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:13 am

Jemaine said "that might be gooder"

:D

I kind of like this. I defiantly like the version of these songs.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Too tired to ty...

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:41 am

It is 2:05AM. Yes AM, people. I am obsessed. I do actually have to get up at 7AM tomorrow as well. What’s a poor obsessed Conchordian to do?

This episode is most definitely one of my favorites. I will save my love of the others for future weeks.
Thanks for the maps, Sherry. As the daughter of a geography professor, I’ve been enjoying them quite a bit. :D A map almost always helps.

My favorite sections (in no particular order):

I love the bit with Jemaine and Bret about Bowie in space. There is the little glimpse of the naiveté/airheadishness (don’t you love my made-up words?) of the previous episode (Tour of London bit :D). Jemaine’s line about needing to ‘separate fantasy from reality’ is classic.

Rob Brydon’s bits:
The whole narration about Dan and the Panda’s act changing, or not. :roll2:
“…And Dan and the Panda’s act never does”
The “two sorts of towel” in the hotel room is quite amusing. What no washcloths? Umm what do the British call them? Flannels? (Did I remember correctly?)

What is with Bernard singing the beginning of the ‘Star Spangled Banner’? “Oh, say can you…” Is Bernard supposed to be an annoying American? :shock:

The little clips of the Asthma Interlude (<--Credit Ellen for title) are always good. I also thought that this particular recording (or clips thereof) of Business Time was great. There is a little hint of the music of Jemaine and his French (le baguette!) from future episodes. Oh, so amusing.

I loved this little dialogue:
J: So how are you, Bret?
B: Um, I’m okay. I’m feeling…I’m feeling a little bit body conscious.
J: Oh, yeah. Brian mentioned that.
B: I’m just feeling a bit thin, and stuff like that, you know? Just for the band. Just ‘cause most bands aren’t as thin.

Most bands aren’t as thin? Aren’t most bands incredible varied? Is it a little :stick: at the ‘image’ of popular music? Quite amusing for me, regardless. :rolls:

The uncomfortable silence of this exchange is…okay. :D
Jemaine: I think you…look okay.
Bret: *pause – then quickly* Thanks, man.

A quick mention, the inflection in Neil Finn’s voice when he gets done talking to Brian is great. “Okay, Brian…”

The meeting with Bernard at the Railway Museum is fantastic. Especially, Jemaine saying “And actually we’re not very good.” And later, Bret saying: “That’s actually really good…I’ve never heard of a band getting that” He, in the “Bret” way, gets caught up in the moment and forgets reality. Bowie, Bowie, Bowie.

My favorite part of the whole episode is, of course, Jemaine’s serenade for Bret. Highlarious. I cannot describe the pains in my sides from laughter. Awesome. :thumb:

I apologize for the random way the above has been put together. I cannot be held to the accuracy of my spelling or grammar. :D Hello, 2:30…G’Night All…:zzz:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:39 pm

onewithdog wrote:Jemaine said "that might be gooder"

:D

I kind of like this. I defiantly like the version of these songs.

"I defiantly like the version of these songs." Did you mean "definitely"? Because, if you did, I prefer, by far, defiantly!!! It's always good to like something so much you're willing to get militant about it.

Kate

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:44 pm

conchordgirl wrote:I think I've said before that Episodes 2 and 5 are my favorites. This episode mostly because of the non-gay love song to Bret.

Dan and the Panda: I enjoyed it but it didn't really make me laugh..I guess I'm saying that it was "consistently mediocre". I don't know why but the phrase "from the get go to the let go" annoys me for some reason.

I loved the "Bowie" song and hearing Jemaine say "nipples". I am NOT swooning, just stating fact. I love Bret explaining Bowie's life in space and Jemaine's reply "See this is where you have to be able to separate reality from fantasy Bret..This problem has gotten us into a lot of trouble before" (paraphrased)

Kipper saying "I've been to loads of Dan and the Panda gigs and didn't get laid once" :shock:

Rob Brydon's Narration really did add a lot this week. "Stylistic Chameleons"
"Complimentary Mints" "Inner Sadness"

HipHopopotamus v Rhymenoscerous: Perfect..and I always find it odd hearing J saying "his" and Bret say "my" during the line "Ain't no party like "MY" nana's tea party" love J:"Yeah that's the way I do it" I love the bitches and ho's line..Less sexist..

Bret: "I'm going to get the Yorkshire pudding since we are in Yorkshire" (sp?)
Jemaine: "I think I might get that as well..even though I actually want the fish and chips"
Why does that make me laugh?

Introduction of Tim: Funny. I loved the awkwardness of the whole conversation and then J at the end "He was cool."

In the hotel room: "Room Service" Brian explaining why he needs the single bed. "I grope in my sleep" "Let's not talk about it"

Brian calling for the record deal and before he hangs up "The Megastore name was quite confusing..you may just want to think about that..Ok Thank You Very Much Goodbye" (paraphrased)

Bret's plan to cheer up Brian..Why can I see them really doing this..so sweet.."Hello!"

Bret's feeling thin..So sweet and as Fluffy pointed out it's just like a guy to have a compliment like "I think you look ok" It's still so sweet. Still not swooning..But close..

Bernard phoning Brian: Conchordtastic! "Please sign them" and then Bernard getting pulled into getting excited. Coming in on his jet. Outside the York Railroad museum.

I love the in-between music..

My favorite part of the whole show is the "Bret, You've got it going on" song. Someone needs to transcribe these lyrics. I love this song. J:"Help me out now" B:"(I've) got it going on" What does J say "but that doesn't mean I want to B____ you"? Anyone know? I love the line "No doubt about it we'd be getting crazy if one of us was lucky enough to be born a lady" and then about the wig "You look good when I put a wig on you..When you're sleeping and I put a wig on you that's right I lie down and put a wig on you..I put a wig on you and pretend you're my ex-girlfriend or sometimes Winnona Ryder"..Still laughing.. :D

Neil Finn, Spiritual Guru: I loved this part as well.. "One of the guys, Jemaine he's putting a wig on Bret when he's asleep.. I don't know it's a bit weird..is this wig sort of thing a normal thing for bands to do on tour?" "You've been in a situation with wigs?" (paraphrased)

Moving the band again..3 star hotel!!

Jemaine trying to talk "Bernard" out of the contract.."No you're not!"
"Business Time" in the background..Holographic Underwear? "I've heard your demo" and then Bret "That's actually really good" "I've never heard of a band getting that"..lol

Band moving again..Penthouse
18 digit code..Jemaine's admission.."That's why he had that whole conductor look" "Well I just thought it was EMI uniform" J: "We didn't want it to get this far.."

For me this is an A- episode. --Nicole

If I had responded sooner, this would have been my post.... word for word, except for the A-. Because they are the Conchords, all of the episodes got A's from me. I simply preferred #2 and #5 to the rest. So, consider this the post I would have written, as well, please. :D

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:05 pm

I have to say, and I am not sucking-up here, but I'm really impressed with Sherry's resourceful, interactive post for this particular series. You must have been good at the whole book report thing.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Kate

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:09 pm

Gayle wrote:I have to say, and I am not sucking-up here, but I'm really impressed with Sherry's resourceful, interactive post for this particular series. You must have been good at the whole book report thing.

I know. Since I tend to channel Forrest Gump when I sit at the computer, I am very impressed. I do know she spent a lot of time on them (and it's obvious), but this series of threads is one of my favorite things about these forums!

So, kudos to Sherry! :clap: Super job!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:00 pm

Gayle wrote:I have to say, and I am not sucking-up here, but I'm really impressed with Sherry's resourceful, interactive post for this particular series. You must have been good at the whole book report thing.

:blush:

Why thank you :wink:

I actually sat and thumped this one out over the week, and tweaked it yesterday evening. Then posted it. I had no idea what I was going to do with the first one, I just thumped it out, found some links and pics and tried to not bore people to sleep :shock: And I kind of liked how it was done, so kept the same style for the rest :) And its amazing what you can dig up on the web. I've been lucky in finding lots of background info. I've enjoyed writing it so far. And they seem to be going over well, so will keep on going with them :D

Lovelynhot
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Lovelynhot » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:58 am

Well, I have tried a couple of times, but I can’t download this one. It keeps stopping around 7mb and it says there is 28mb. It ends with them performing Hiphopapotmous vs Ryhmmerocerous and is only 8 minutes long. Is that all that is this download?

Just Pam, Not any Wham Bam Pam

Ain't no party like my nana's tea party

kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kneedragger » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:49 am

Lovelynhot wrote:Well, I have tried a couple of times, but I can’t download this one. It keeps stopping around 7mb and it says there is 28mb. It ends with them performing Hiphopapotmous vs Ryhmmerocerous and is only 8 minutes long. Is that all that is this download?

What are you trying to download? And which link?

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”