Flight of The Conchords part 3

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Flight of The Conchords part 3

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:48 pm

I'm actually really peed off right now. I spent the last hour and a half typing out about the show, quotes, links and info and was a few minutes off posting it, just reading it back and I closed the tab. :witsend: Something tells me I really don't like this particular show. You've waited a week longer than I had planned but here it is, without further ado :D

Oddly its my least favourite of the 6. I pretty much find Brian the saving grace of this episode, and although the guys parts are good, the two fans, Kipper and Tracy, and the whole threesome sex storyline I felt was, well, did it have to come down to sex? OK, so groupie weird stalker fans, but did it need the threesome and sex hinted at? It was the one part of the show I found did not work and left me with no hint of a smile. :shock: :shock: I had said something slightly different and shedding a little more light on why in my earlier post, but sod it, I am not able to rewrite this word for word :waiting:

What I said last week still applies. Only we are down to 3 parts left for me to torment you with 'O joyous joy of joyfulness' I hear you say. Hoping people reading this have managed to hear the show somehow and therefore have a clue about what I am going on about.

So what do we know this week that we didn't last week or the week before Flight of The Conchords part 3

Episode details part 3: The Conchords enter the danger zone when their fanbase proposition them after a concert. What should they do and.... can Neil Finn save the day?

Cast list
Bret McKenzie - himself
Jemaine Clement - himself
Rhys Darby - Brian Nesbitt (manager)
Neil Finn - himself
Jimmy Carr - Kipper
Nina Conti - Tracy
Rob Brydon - narrator

Rob Brydon. Narrator. His best bits this week for me included

"With the show over, Jemaine and Bret take a well earned break outside the venue, on the orange dinosaur slide"

Just love the detail and the setting of the scene.

"Their musical well is dry, and the bucket has fallen off, spilling nothing but song dust"

The whole Neil Finn intro. Priceless. Especially after Bret's exclaimation of 'Thats illegal!"

A bit about Nina Conti

I wonder does she know she has two heads. And that the one on the left needs a shave.

Nina's official site has more of this ongoing monkey fetish :shock: I wonder if she has heard of fun monkey disease :shock:

No other new cast members this week.

And onto the show

Songs featured in part 3 - Jenny, Fudafafa, Something Special For The Ladies and A Kiss Is Not A Contract.

Opportunity has come knocking. The guys have a breakthrough with a high profile lunchtime gig at Potatoholic. Where potatos come first :shock: I'd better move swiftly on before someone mentions the bed of lettuce and the saucy dip for my nibbles :waggle:

The guys also visit Uxbridge. Quite handy for the Royal Albert Hall apparently. Only a 155 minute walk. Honest. Go read more HERE if you don't believe me. And there is a 'Fig Gig' listed. How did they know? Spooky :what: Thats Uxbridge, Middlesex, not to be confused with Uxbridge, Ontario. Mind you, it being 'Middlesex' might explain the threesome storyline. Or not.

Anyways... just so you know where it is

Bits I love from the show

Jemaine signing up for his own fan club list. Brian deleting it on a daily basis.

The whole bull storyline with Trevor.

Jemaine's unbelieving tone about them being won as a prize by the two fans.

Bret, after having said the two fans are 'pretty weird' is then happy to sell out for a plate of Macaroni Cheese.

Jemaine is sated by anything with chicken.

Jemaine warbling sexy French words. I'm sure he added 'le baguette' in there just for me :roll:

Bret mistaking the description of a threesome for food. Dessert. He obviously likes his food does our Bret. Jemaine being so polite to Tracy and thanking her for offering them a threesome before making a quick exit.

Lines/quotes from the show

Jemaine sneezes
Bret "Do you have a cat? Jemaine is allergic to cats."
Tracy "Jemaine's allergic to Jemaine! Isn't that ironic"
Bret "O you called the cat Jemaine?"
"Yeah we called him Jemaine. I'll introduce him to you"
Bret "Do you always make him wear the glasses?"
Kipper "Not always, just we knew you were coming over and we had...."
Bret "He does actually look like Jemaine"

Jemaine, with a slightly quavering voice (telling Brian of the offered threesome) "It was one of the most awkward experiences I've ever had in my life"

The line at the end of the song, A Kiss Is Not A Contract sung at their next live gig,
*singing* Were only two men ladies
Jemaine feels the need to clarify for all there
"There is a lyric there at the end of the song. 'Were only two men ladies' Its, 'Were only two men comma ladies"

Brian's best bits

As the Taranaki Tavern features a fair bit in this weeks episode, I thought I should throw in a few snippets of reading matter for you. The Tourist Site for Taranaki Now the tavern itself appears to be a fictional creation. However, I found a tavern for sale in Taranaki. I feel that Brian's beloved tavern might look something like this tavern It even mentions about cows "The land that slopes down to the sea all along the western slopes of Mt Egmont has a long history of dairy farming."

"You've shot it"

"Hello Trevor...." Said with such a gentle resigned tone. Brilliant.

And cause I can't be arsed to type all the lines out again, here are a couple of short clips of the bull segment

Clip 1

Clip 2

Sorry its not quite how I had written it before. But as you never saw that I guess it does not matter much :lol: This is not quite what I had in mind but ah well. It happens.

Really, I don't like the fan thing. I understand why it was done, but I didn't like it much. In the part 2 write up I admitted I was not a fan of Jimmy Carr to start with, so I think it went downhill from there. And I didn't like the part of Tracy at all. Conti did ok with it, but I didn't like it. And I think its good to not be adoring of every little thing the guys do. Sometimes they do things that really don't work for me. Others might of laughed lots at the threesome convo. I just found it :bang:

And I am done. Once more. The floor is all yours. All I ask is swooning be left elsewhere. By all means have fun, but, yeah, well, I didn't do all this with swooning in mind :shock:
Last edited by Sherry on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:17 am

I have to agree with Sherry. This was my least favorite episode of the bunch. I found the threesome bit a little too something, but haven't got the word to express it. When Jemaine said with that "quavering voice (telling Brian of the offered threesome) 'It was one of the most awkward experiences I've ever had in my life,'" all I wanted to do was reach through the radio and give him a hug. Not a swoony-fangirly hug, but the kind of a hug that I'd give a friend to let them know everything was going to be allright. I was humiliated for him at that moment. I'm not going to dwell on this any longer because I found it not a very pleasant storyline, actually. I felt the wife character was demeaned by the husband character, and so on. So, that's that.

What I did find very funny was the part about the cat wearing specs and looking like his namesake. And the whole bull storyline was blessedly funny, too, but more on that later.

I won't say what I think about Jemaine singing anything in French, even non-sensical French of "Fudafafa". Sherry says no swooning, and so it shall be. "Le Baguette" will forever have a new meaning for me. Enough said.

This part: "'We're only two men ladies' Its, 'Were only two men comma ladies'", made me laugh out loud. The fact, as Sherry said, he felt the need to clarify that just underscored brilliantly the feeling that he remained fragile from that dinner with Kipper and the Mrs.

The whole Neil Finn thread woven through these episodes is brilliant. He does nothing even subtley funny, but makes me laugh nonetheless, just from the sheer absurdity of it.

The bull and the tavern bit was very funny, as well. The Brian and Trevor relationship is just so hysterical.

And, finally, as someone to whom computers are a constant nemisis, I have to take a moment to say a special thank-you to Sherry for persevering on, even after the computer did in her first draft. I really appreciate the effort these write-ups take, and enjoy them so much that even though, as I said, this was not my favorite episode, this write-up is excellent, and helped me remember the good stuff about it. You deserve a gold star, woman! And, one of those friend-hugs! :hug:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Succinct?

Postby Andria » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:21 am

Sherry, thanks for writing all of that up, twice! That must have been infuriating. Darn computers…:cross:

And a big huge fat thanks for the sound clips for the bull segments! Woot! :boogie:

This week I decided I would pick a few of my favorite sections and talk about those, instead of my usual babbling and “well, I liked that part more then you” post. :D

My favorite exchange from the whole series is in Part Three. The exchange between Brian and Trevor is hysterical. The way that you don’t actually hear what Trevor is saying, you are left to imagine the other end of the dialogue, is reminiscent of classic movies. Some things are more amusing when left to the imagination. Each person can place their own thoughts into the silence and tailor the scene to them specifically. Brian actually shows some ‘manly’ anger. “Remember what happened last year?”
“We’re going to sell the meat in a raffle!” Who comes up with these lines? Kudos to Brian, erm, Rhys. :)

I find it hilarious that all the innuendo has to be explained to Bret during the fan dinner. Jemaine’s embarrassed explanations are squirmy, indeed. I find myself trying to imagine how the logs in the fire were arranged. :puzzled: I can’t picture it…

The whole argument between the Guys and Brian before he calls Neil Finn is side-splitting. Bret: “You keep annoying him!” Brian: “No I don’t! He’s a good mate.” The fact it is Bret who thinks Brian is possibly being annoying strikes me as very funny.

Another one liner I adore is Brian’s “oh, sorry, I was just eating a banana”. I giggle every time. The fact that he keeps telling everybody (or the two people he talks to) ‘he is just eating a banana’ makes me go into a funny faced silent laughing fit.

While Part Three isn’t my favorite, I love all of Brian’s Bits – so it does still get points for that. Hopefully that wasn’t too ramble-y. I was really trying to be succinct!
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:42 am

A bit that I really liked from this episode is Brian using the internet cafe as his office to log in and check the website. There are only two fans on the site (Kipper and Tracy) and of course Jemaine, who keeps signing himself up as a fan to bolster the list. Brian's exasperation at having to erase Jemaine from the list AGAIN is priceless.

Also, the fact that Brian is cleaning up the potato strewn stage after the show because Bret shouted, "Throw us your potatoes!" Hee heee.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:16 am

Thanks, Sherry, for another stellar synopsis.

A few things I enjoyed about this episode:

Bret’s enthusiasm at the prospect of macaroni and cheese for dinner with the winners of the competition. “Ohhh awesome.” I actually believe in that moment that he really thinks mac & cheese is awesome.

Jemaine’s “that’s funny” through clogged sinuses when he meets Jemaine the cat and sees the cat’s glasses.

“Fudafafa” - J'aime beaucoup cette chanson.

I could not believe Brian told his wife to get the bull to chase her out of the bar :shock: .

“Something Special For The Ladies” - This was great. “Mostly Scottish and quarter Italian” - Jemaine worked this in for Tracy.

Tracy’s grief when she identifies with “Frumpy Lady”. And Kipper’s “she makes a real effort.” I thought Nina Conti did a great job with voice inflection for her character. It must have been challenging to create a slightly scary but essentially harmless fan character without crossing over to disturbingly psychotic fan character in an attempt at humor.

I had to research the Two Ronnies reference, as that was lost on me. http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2 ... 51004.html

Jemaine’s bus excuse and Bret’s cluelessness at the excuse. “I better go as well ‘cause Jemaine’s going.”

Brian’s allegations that the Finn Brothers are into freaky fan/band stuff, and Bret’s shocked “that’s illegal.” Great line.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:17 am

Ellen wrote:I had to research the Two Ronnies reference, as that was lost on me. http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2 ... 51004.html

Thanks for the link, Ellen! That bit was lost on me, too.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

EspedairStreet
Lost but happy at sea

Postby EspedairStreet » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:22 am

This episode is golden if only for Jemaine's absolutely stellar evocation of both Al Stewart and Serge Gainesbourg. I weep for that man's cd collection; I really do.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:26 am

EspedairStreet wrote:This episode is golden if only for Jemaine's absolutely stellar evocation of both Al Stewart and Serge Gainesbourg. I weep for that man's cd collection; I really do.

All I have to say is: WHAT'S HAPPNIN' Rerun!?

EspedairStreet
Lost but happy at sea

Postby EspedairStreet » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:16 pm

I can't tell you how happy my current avatar makes me. Next up: Dee!

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:40 am

EspedairStreet wrote:I can't tell you how happy my current avatar makes me. Next up: Dee!

I love it... I know I am dating myself to know that show, but yay - I love it!

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:27 pm

I hate to say it, but I have no idea who that is. None, whatsoever. Scary. :shock: Should I know?

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:51 pm

Kate wrote:I hate to say it, but I have no idea who that is. None, whatsoever. Scary. :shock: Should I know?

:shock: It was a TV show on in the lates 70's / early 80's called What's Happnin'! With Rog, Rerun, Dwayne, Dee, Shirl... fun show!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:02 am

Ellen wrote:I could not believe Brian told his wife to get the bull to chase her out of the bar :shock:

That part had me laughing. And when he suggested she wave someting red at it. Priceless.

Ellen wrote:“Something Special For The Ladies” - This was great. “Mostly Scottish and quarter Italian” - Jemaine worked this in for Tracy.

Her father being Tom Conti, I thought it was a nice touch also :lol:

Ellen wrote:Tracy’s grief when she identifies with “Frumpy Lady”. And Kipper’s “she makes a real effort.” I thought Nina Conti did a great job with voice inflection for her character. It must have been challenging to create a slightly scary but essentially harmless fan character without crossing over to disturbingly psychotic fan character in an attempt at humor.

As I said, she played the part well. I just didn't like the whole sexual thing that then had to come into it, although I can understand why it was worked in. Not that I am a prude or anything like that. Far from it, just, :dunno: That Bret and Jemaine's parts had them react as they did was its saving grace. I like how that was handled. Bret all innocent and Jemaine mortified and getting the hell out of there. I think maybe its as the guys have never really relied on using 'sex' jokes/material etc to make up their shows, I really found it awkward to suddenly hear it. Even though it came from someone else. I know a few of their songs are naughty, funny naughty and so on, but that works as its done so well. As is the between song banter that might brush on the subject. But having someone spell it out word for word, just left me going :bang: and :waiting: One of the things I enjoy about the Conchords material is that they don't have to rely on or use the 'in your face' or blatent sex and rude jokes stuff to have people laughing. And it was in there for exactly the reasons I wrote above (I think, I guess), so we could see Bret and Jemaine's reactions and listen to their horror. And I am going to quit while I am ahead on this mini rant :roll:

Ellen wrote:I had to research the Two Ronnies reference, as that was lost on me.

Ooops :oops: My bad, I forgot to get any 2 Ronnies info for you all. One of them died recently :( RIP Ronnie Barker. They were a staple part of my childhood growing up. An British institution of sorts.

Ellen wrote:Brian’s allegations that the Finn Brothers are into freaky fan/band stuff, and Bret’s shocked “that’s illegal.” Great line.

I do enjoy just how blank Bret can make himself sometimes. And then come out with a line like that, delivered so well. It had me cracking up.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:16 am

Kate wrote:I have to agree with Sherry. This was my least favorite episode of the bunch. I found the threesome bit a little too something, but haven't got the word to express it.

Hmmm having the same problem as me eh :lol: I posted a reply to Ellen just now and covered it better. You might want to take a peek at that Kate :)

Kate wrote:I'm not going to dwell on this any longer because I found it not a very pleasant storyline, actually. I felt the wife character was demeaned by the husband character, and so on. So, that's that.

My not being a fan of Jimmy Carr and knowing his style (his style is much like that, very to the point) might of added to my dislike of the scene. His line in the show about the plane being a woman and relating what Bret was saying back to sex.... lets just say, his stand up is, from what I have seen, very much to the point. He can be funny, but I just want to grab his cheeks and waggle them. He annoys me. He does not just talk about sex though lol. I need to clarify that. He covers a broad range of subjects.

Kate wrote:What I did find very funny was the part about the cat wearing specs and looking like his namesake. And the whole bull storyline was blessedly funny, too, but more on that later.

I think most people enjoyed those parts :D

Kate wrote:I won't say what I think about Jemaine singing anything in French, even non-sensical French of "Fudafafa". Sherry says no swooning, and so it shall be. "Le Baguette" will forever have a new meaning for me. Enough said.

Have you listened to the CD and the interlude after Frodo? I remeber when they did that 'song' live and the random French words used. Classic.

Kate wrote:This part: "'We're only two men ladies' Its, 'Were only two men comma ladies'", made me laugh out loud. The fact, as Sherry said, he felt the need to clarify that just underscored brilliantly the feeling that he remained fragile from that dinner with Kipper and the Mrs.

I never thought about Jemaine feeling fragile after the fan thing. I just thought it was one of his comedic afterthoughts. Interesting way of looking at it though.

Kate wrote:The whole Neil Finn thread woven through these episodes is brilliant. He does nothing even subtley funny, but makes me laugh nonetheless, just from the sheer absurdity of it.

I do have to say I think Neil Finn was a trooper for getting on board with this and taking part. Kudos to the man for playing to straight and being one of the funniest things about the show. And to Rhys for making those scenes work so well. I have visions of them stood in a studio, talking to each other from behind goldfish bowls and having no idea what the other was going to say next. To make it more 'real' which it seems to be.

Kate wrote:The bull and the tavern bit was very funny, as well. The Brian and Trevor relationship is just so hysterical.

Brian is the glue that holds it all together for me. Without him, the show just would not work on radio like it does.

Kate wrote:And, finally, as someone to whom computers are a constant nemisis, I have to take a moment to say a special thank-you to Sherry for persevering on, even after the computer did in her first draft. I really appreciate the effort these write-ups take, and enjoy them so much that even though, as I said, this was not my favorite episode, this write-up is excellent, and helped me remember the good stuff about it. You deserve a gold star, woman! And, one of those friend-hugs! :hug:

Awwww :blush: Thanks Kate. I always find it hard when I can't write. And not liking this episode so much was blooming difficult. I didn't want to be biased and spoil it by not finding things to talk about. Got there in the end :D

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Succinct?

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:21 am

Andria wrote:And a big huge fat thanks for the sound clips for the bull segments! Woot! :boogie:

Not a problem. I think more people should hear Brian :P

Andria wrote:My favorite exchange from the whole series is in Part Three. The exchange between Brian and Trevor is hysterical. The way that you don’t actually hear what Trevor is saying, you are left to imagine the other end of the dialogue, is reminiscent of classic movies. Some things are more amusing when left to the imagination. Each person can place their own thoughts into the silence and tailor the scene to them specifically. Brian actually shows some ‘manly’ anger. “Remember what happened last year?”
“We’re going to sell the meat in a raffle!” Who comes up with these lines? Kudos to Brian, erm, Rhys. :)

I really do think Rhys came up with his stuff. I am sure they tried many variations over the takes, and discussed possible ideas, but it was more or less unscripted and improvised. And as Rhys seems to be consistent throughout the shows with the role of Brian, I like to think he came up with the lines. Also, if you look at his replies in character in the Q &A, that is very much 'Brian' style.

Andria wrote:I find it hilarious that all the innuendo has to be explained to Bret during the fan dinner. Jemaine’s embarrassed explanations are squirmy, indeed. I find myself trying to imagine how the logs in the fire were arranged. :puzzled: I can’t picture it…

Don't even try *mental image* :que:

Andria wrote:While Part Three isn’t my favorite, I love all of Brian’s Bits – so it does still get points for that. Hopefully that wasn’t too ramble-y. I was really trying to be succinct!

I think you almost managed it :P Very good post Andria. And woo, Brian's bits were the best :lol:

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”