You Lucky Texans! (SxSW, Austin Texas - gigs - March 2006)

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

You Lucky Texans! (SxSW, Austin Texas - gigs - March 2006)

Postby /me » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:10 pm

Conchords have been confirmed for SxSW "the world's biggest music conference," which will take place in Austin, Texas between March 15 and 19, 2006.

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2005/nov05/20051127_sxsw.html
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:18 pm

Hmmm. I'm thinking late birthday present for myself! Plus, I've got a friend that lives in Austin. I am so there if at all possible!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:29 pm

Being a musician in Texas I have long had a very bad taste in my mouth for "South By So What". In its early days it was a great vehicle for promoting little known groups. Promoting the idea that this may be the place you may get "discovered". It has become more and more corporate as years have gone by. The unsigned/amateur/unknown bands send in their promo packs. Then if its deemed good enough they get to play at the festival, provided that they pay the required fee to be given a time slot. WHAT?!?!? The bigger more well known groups don't have to do this. I understand the fact that that they do this to get people to come to the event. These same promoters charge people to get into the festival. So if you add these things up it just sits wrong with me. The promoters get money not only from the fans (fair) but from the bands who are helping them put money in their pockets (not fair).

I know that FotC will be greatly recieved but I'm having a real big conflict in my mind as far as going there to see them.

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:26 pm

How do we get tickets before they get bought up? And does anyone (JP) know what the seating is like at this venue? Can you buy front row seats or is it general admission?

I am so amazingly happy. Well, not yet. It still hasn't sunk in. Are they really coming here? Can it be true?

Mr. Deirdre said they are coming here because I wished it so hard. We try to believe in the power of positive thinking and that you attrack what you think about. No more Law and Order! Well, maybe less. I don't know if I can handle cold turkey.

Oh My Goodness! The Kiwis are Coming! The Kiwis are Coming!
(I know Americans will get this reference. Do you international folk get it?)

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:51 pm

Well its not just one venue its a city wide event with various venues hosting it. Its a "wristband" type thing. How much you pay will determine how many days and what shows you can get into. Even then there are some shows that you may still have to buy additional tickets to get into. Just a heads up though. A lot of times an appearance at SXSW for some artists is just another date on a current tour. If you want to avoid the chaos that is SXSW. FotC may be doing just that. Maybe Sherry could dig some info out of them to possibly verify this. If you don't want to deal with all the drunk gen-x types you may want to wait and see if they may be appearing on their own at a venue closer to you.

There may be some info here that may help you
http://2006.sxsw.com/

pog_mahon
New arrival

touring?

Postby pog_mahon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:05 pm

I'm really new to Flight of the Conchords... So excuse me if this is a stupid question...

Are they currently touring? And, if so, is there a site that lists all of their upcoming events?

My boyfriend's a big fan, and I would love to surprise him with tickets to go see them...

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:19 pm

They do have a website of their own but it doesn't have much info.
http://www.conchords.co.nz/

FotC is actually one of the many projects that Bret and Jemaine are involved in. According to our gracious host Sherry it may actually be awhile before Bret an Jemaine are back out and performing as FotC again. Just keep checking back and maybe there will eventually be some better news.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:19 pm

Welcome pog! Unfortunately, they're not touring at the moment and there aren't any upcoming tour dates mentioned anywhere other than this sxsw show possibility. Jemaine's currently filming a movie and Bret's off touring Australia (with the Black Seeds)/recording a new album/ignoring our questions.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Kate

Postby Kate » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:34 pm

:shock: Texas. (There are a few Texans on this board, too -- Nicole, Johnny, poptartgirl -- am I leaving anyone out? Deirdre, are you from Texas?)

How lucky for all of you! I'm, uh, green with envy..... :arrow:

conchordgirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby conchordgirl » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:45 pm

I am sooo there! :boogie:

you guys have no idea how happy i am right now!

I do agree with JP about the music biz but I have to say that I am excited all the same because I never thought that I would ever be able to see them live. And perhaps I will. :D

--nicole

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: touring?

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:05 pm

pog_mahon wrote:I'm really new to Flight of the Conchords... So excuse me if this is a stupid question...

Are they currently touring? And, if so, is there a site that lists all of their upcoming events?

My boyfriend's a big fan, and I would love to surprise him with tickets to go see them...

To cover what you asked pog (nice nick btw, altho the translation is not so pretty :lol: )

IIRC Jemaine said they will tour off the back of a new CD. If it comes out. And that is not a done deal as yet. They have yet to sign a record deal.

Usually with the guys, these things tend to be one offs or they go on and do a few gigs at other festivals or play a short run in New York or some such place before plane hopping elsewhere on the planet. They often add gigs later on in other areas. The thing with the US is its a vast place, so who knows where else they might go. Might go with places they have visited before, or they might go to some new towns. Hard to know or say.

Another problem is with the guys and gigs is they tend to be low key in their advertising and advance notice. Sometimes gig news only crops up a week or so in advance (as is the case for New York gigs often). Others get more notice but are not advertised as such. Also, they are not like a band 'touring'. I think people forget this. Its comedy clubs and so on they play as a rule. The comedy scene does not work like the music scene methinks. Thats how I see it anyways.

From past experience with the guys and their gig planning, it all tends to come along in dribs and drabs. You might find they confirm this date, but nothing else for ages and then a few all at once will be added. I'd not think of this as leading to a tour as yet. I'd still look at this as a one off event. It could be March 1 and dates two weeks ahead are put online.

This event sounds ok. It'd be cool if the Conchords do a full set. They played Glastonbury festival a couple of years back in the comedy tent and did 30 minutes or so. I'd suggest people look into the show length and so on before booking. I'd hate for people to travel miles to see them and only see a shortened set or something. I'd suggest being patient and waiting and seeing what the officilal site gives out info wise on bookings and show times etc.

I know I sound all down about it. I'm not lol. I think its cool, just I know how these things can pan out and paying a heap of money to go someplace for a couple of days is not something to take lightly.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:19 pm

Sage advice, Sherry. My first response was to yell "We're going to Texas in March!" down the stairs, but cooler heads prevail and I will definately wait to see what is happening.

If they are doing a full set and there are enough of us going, may I suggest a get-together? Perhaps we could meet at the show or a restaurant? Just a thought.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:30 pm

Can't imagine NOT going with you guys!!

I seriously hope we can meet up and possibly see the show together. And who knows, maybe chat with the guys after the show :yay:

By the way, I'm in Oklahoma, which is just on top of Texas. So I am so there!!

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:21 am

Gayle, I was thinking the same. If any of us do end up going, we should definitely meet up! Although now I'm hoping they'll do NY shows and announce them far enough in advance for me to get up there. I'd rather go back to NY to see them and see a bunch of my friends there at the same time.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:24 am

indigo_jones wrote:Gayle, I was thinking the same. If any of us do end up going, we should definitely meet up! Although now I'm hoping they'll do NY shows and announce them far enough in advance for me to get up there. I'd rather go back to NY to see them and see a bunch of my friends there at the same time.

Ooooh, yeah, NY! I'm sure a NY gig will come along one day. I have friends there I would love to see, also! We will have to keep our eyes peeled*.

* Does anyone know the origin of that quite graphic expression? "... eyes peeled" EEEEiiiwwwww.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”