Duncan Sarkies - Author of 2 Little Boys

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Re: Duncan Sarkies

Postby Red » Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 pm

I just got Two Little Boys in the mail yesterday! It took a full month to ship from England! At first they said shipping would take about 10 days then they asked for another 10 days. After 30 days it still hadn't arrived so I sent the company a scathing email Thursday and they gave me a refund and said it must be lost and it was their last copy so I'd have to order it from someone else. Then I got it in the mail the very next day. So free book! Yay!

I'm on vacation next week so I plan on reading it on the plane and such. Can't wait to get started!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat May 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Mine got held up, and I filed a complaint with Amazon marketplace. I got the book and the spare I ordered from the US within 2 days of each other. And a full refund on the first book.

was it brit_books you ordered from?

Anyhoo, I'll be sending my copy around when I'm done re-reading it, and the spare will probably turn up as a prize sometime.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Red » Sat May 15, 2010 11:11 pm

No it was Awesome Books UK through alibris.com. They had really nice customer service people and now I feel kind of bad about complaining so much. Oh well.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat May 15, 2010 11:26 pm

It was probably the ash cloud. That's what brit_books told me, but since they were part of Amazon marketplace, I filed a complaint. Their CS wasn't anywhere near as good as yours - the only time they contacted me was two days after I'd alerted Amazon.

You can always order something else from them, Red - after the volcano has calmed down. :D

I am bike-cheese!

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Sun May 16, 2010 10:52 am

I love libraries - they had a copy of Two Little Boys available to borrow! :D

The cover of mine is different again though - I wonder why they do that?
Anyway, I can't wait to get into it, I'm looking forward to reading what you all think too!
Oh and here is a screen grab about Duncan from the cast/crew bio pages on the movie Scarfies I just rented (which is written by Robert & Duncan Sarkies) - I really like the quote - Guess I'll know if it's appropriate or not once I've read the book! :D

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun May 16, 2010 3:18 pm

My two copies are different - it's because one is the trade paperback and one is the regular paperback.

I am bike-cheese!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun May 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Ah, so that's it! I like the cover you posted, MM.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 pm

I just finished reading 'Two Little Boys' and I really enjoyed it. :D

It's dark and twisted but also quite humorous given how both Deano and Nigel lack in the brains department and how their minds work in certain situations particularly when they are stoned (which is pretty often! :lol: ) I found the parts towards the end of the book when they were at the lighthouse very exciting and I couldn’t wait to read on to see what was going to happen next. I loved Duncan's style of writing although I can understand how it may off-putting to some and I found the novel to be thoroughly engaging throughout. I can definitely envision Bret playing the character of Nigel given the description of the character (curly hair, tall, slim, the 'slower' one (not that Bret isn’t clever but he usually does play dim characters ;) etc.) so I think this character will suit Bret well. I also think that Hamish would do a good job of playing Deano. Hamish is a naturally funny guy but it would also be interesting to see how he pulls of the character of Deano given Deano's short temper and quite aggressive behaviour at times.

I really felt sorry for Nigel as he comes across as a not-so-bright guy who has a good heart but his friendship with Deano is holding him back from what he wants to do with his life such as travelling and discovering more about who he is as a person without having Deano put him down for being stupid and orchestrate his life for him. Deano is less likeable although I couldn’t help but pity how lonely he's been for pretty much all of his life, his jealously of Nigel and Gav's friendship and just how stuck he is in his own ways. He really sees Nigel as his only true friend and tries to ignore his perhaps even deeper feelings for Nigel. Certain aspects of their friendship are very cute though and I enjoyed reading the flashbacks of childhood memories they shared together. Gav was a force of good in their lives and could have changed their lives even more profoundly if he continued to stick around.

I’m very much looking forward to seeing this novel being made into a film. :)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Ah, it's interesting how Nigel wants to go to Shepherd's Bush - where the Aussies and Kiwis live in London. He wants to get away, but not too far away.

And, yeah, you had a very similar take on the book that I did. It actually really haunted me for about a week or so after I read it, even though it's mostly for laughs. The happy-sad, I guess!

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:36 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Ah, it's interesting how Nigel wants to go to Shepherd's Bush - where the Aussies and Kiwis live in London. He wants to get away, but not too far away.

Yes, very true. Although Nigel doesn't know any better and has lived quite a sheltered life so I guess it's as if he just wants taking baby steps in order to become a more well-rounded person. Nigel admires Gav for his knowledge and ambition and wants to be more like him but you're right that his flaws & relationship with Deano just won't allow him to carry through those kind of plans.

And, yeah, you had a very similar take on the book that I did. It actually really haunted me for about a week or so after I read it, even though it's mostly for laughs. The happy-sad, I guess!

:nod:

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I finished the book a couple of weeks ago, Im glad there are others that have finished it already too!

It started out hysterical....and just gradually got sadder and more depressing to me as the chapters went on. Deano feeling abandoned and lonely, Nigel feeling trapped. Neither one of them are good for one another, but neither one has the testicular fortitude to grow up and move on. I guess it reminds me of hurtful and dysfunctional relationships I see in those around me....it really is more sad than funny how some people stay together and make themselves and each other miserable, all because they just dont want to own up to their part in it and really resolve conflict.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the sad dysfunction of it all stayed with me much longer than anything else. Im very interested in how this will translate to film. I tried to picture Bret as Nigel, but it never really stuck...I guess we'll see how it goes.

Oh and I always pictured Dave Fane as Gav... :D

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 pm

I finished the book last week:)
I really enjoyed it, even with the oral language (although it was sometimes hard to distinguish the voices). I thought it was funny, depressing and even exciting (at the end when I was waiting to see what Deano had planned for Gav).

I felt very bad for Deano, even though he is a controlling SOB.

Nigel came across as more weak than dumb. He almost struck me as one of those women who have been in an abusive relationship for a long time, being told that nobody else would want them and that they're dumb and can't make it on their own, until finally they believe it themselves. From the day Deano saved Nigel by beating up that other kid, he owned him, and Nigel wore the tooth as proof of his debt. Just as Nigel had found the strength to extract himself from the dysfunctional relationship he is forced to turn to Deano for help again, thus placing himself back in Dean's debt.

That's how I read it.

I was also very amused by the Norway link. Poor Jeurgen who had to travel around the world to see fiords and mountains :lol: I guess Sarkies is aware of the natural similarities between our countries, and I found it funny, but I don't reckon it is well known. Still, it worked for me :)
Last edited by biscuit on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:16 pm

closet jemainiac wrote:It started out hysterical....and just gradually got sadder and more depressing to me as the chapters went on. Deano feeling abandoned and lonely, Nigel feeling trapped. Neither one of them are good for one another, but neither one has the testicular fortitude to grow up and move on. I guess it reminds me of hurtful and dysfunctional relationships I see in those around me....it really is more sad than funny how some people stay together and make themselves and each other miserable, all because they just dont want to own up to their part in it and really resolve conflict.

:nod: It did get darker as the novel went on but it still managed to be quite humorous in parts.

Oh and poor Nigel when it came to his ill-fated relationship with Monica. :(

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the sad dysfunction of it all stayed with me much longer than anything else. Im very interested in how this will translate to film. I tried to picture Bret as Nigel, but it never really stuck...I guess we'll see how it goes.

Oh really? I pictured Bret as Nigel early on in the story and it definitely stuck for me. Oh well, I guess we just have to wait and see.

Oh and I always pictured Dave Fane as Gav... :D

Yes, I did too! Forgot to mention that. :lol:

Venus

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 pm

biscuit wrote:Nigel came across as more weak than dumb. He almost struck me as one of those women who have been in an abusive relationship for a long time, being told that nobody else would want them and that they're dumb and can't make it on their own, that finally they believe it themselves. From the day Deano saved Nigel by beating up that other kid, he owned him, and Nigel wore the tooth as proof of his debt. Just as Nigel had found the strength to extract himself from the dysfunctional relationship he is forced to turn to Deano for help again, thus placing himself back in Dean's debt.

That's how I read it.

Ah yes, that's an interesting way of seeing it. I definitely agree that Nigel's weakness has been his downfall and Deano practically owned him since the day he beat up Jason Farquhar.

I was also very amused by the Norway link. Poor Jeurgen who had to travel around the world to see fiords and mountains :lol: I guess Sarkies is aware of the natural similarities between our countries, and I found it funny, but I don't reckon it is well know. Still, it worked for me :)

Haha, I was wondering what you'd make of the Norway/NZ connection in the story. ;)

closet jemainiac

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 pm

I agree with your assessment, Biscuit. :nod:

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”