North & South Article

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Pineapple
Registered Rhymnecologist

North & South Article

Postby Pineapple » Fri May 05, 2006 5:42 am

OK my female parental unit just gave me the May issue of North & South magazine which has some 7 page spread on our dearest Conchords, and I thought I'd post as much info as I could and later I'll attempt to write up some bigger chunks of it.

It starts with a breakdown of what they've done so far, mainly the HBO special and the BBC show, their record contracty thing with Sub Pop Records... Basically how amazingly fabulous they are.

It goes on to try and describe what exactly it is they do (we all know how hard that is :lol: ) and why they're so funny etc.

Then it moves on to a more interviewish style:

Back in Wellington in the summer of '06, there's nothing at all New York or London-affected about McKenzie and Clement. No glinting bling, quasi-accents or name-dropping.
Sitting in McKenzie's simple, egde-of-CBD, one-bedroom apartment with its blood red couch, stacks of CDs and array of instruments, you could be among any aspiring musician's clutter. Having spent most of 2005 concentrating on their Conchords career, they arrived home in October and moseyed off into a cluster of individual projects. Despite growing international awareness and plenty of offers, they're determined they don't want the Conchords to preoccupy their lives or stifle their other talents.
"We still try and keep Conchords a hobby - it's getting hard but we try and just do it 50% of the time," says Clement. "We're quite commitmen-phobic and certainly don't want to get tied into long-term deals where we're essentially owned by a big network." For that reason they signed just a one-record deal with Sub Pop.
"Breaks refresh you so you can come up with new ideas," explains McKenzie. "We only do things we want to do so we're quite lucky."

WHEWH lots of typing.

OK so it goes on... I'm skimming a lot here so if there's anything anyone has specfic questions about ask and I'll type up anything that's relevant :D

There's a bit on how they met, and, interestingly, this article says their name was 'inspired by the brand of toilet in their flat'. Hmm... another big chunk of writing:

Duncan Sarkies (Scarfies writer), who directed their first theatre effort, and briiefly joined them in an early musical incarnation, says even back then McKenzie and Clement were extraordinarily multi-talented. "Those boys were going to explode. It was obvious Jemaine was going to do something great in comedy and it was just a matter of him finding his own thing. Bret was more of a dark horse - one of those guys who sneak under your radar and you find out he can do something you never had any idea he could. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a secret black belt in karate and just hasn't bothered telling any of us."

Well I'll leave that for you to read, I'll definitely post more, just request any topic and I'll scour the article for it, there's tonnes I want to post but I'm not a fantastic typist so just chew on that for the next few hours lol
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Fri May 05, 2006 6:07 am

OK I might as well type up more okey dokey... key points uh.....

There's a bit about their individual projects (Figwit, Steakhouse ads), and a good long rant about why they aren't famous in NZ (*fumes visibly*), specifically that they havden't had enough TV exposure which is what would really get them famous here

--In March TVNZ turned down the Conchords HBO One Night Stand special saying there wasn't an appropriate place in its schedule.--

THAT MADE ME SO MAD!!!!!

BUT! There is a a shining light for Kiwis who miss their faces on telly.

--The good news id that the Conchords will finally make it to our tellies this year. In March they played the huge South by Southwest film and music festival in Texas with more than 1300 other acts and Wellington's Gibson Group made a documentary, which TV3 will screen. [I jumped for joy at that, literally] And for the telly-phobic or those who will miss it, Radio New Zealand is hoping to play the Conchords' BBC series this year.--

OK and some personal stuff:

--There have been some concessions to rising international renown though: McKenzie, who turns 30 in July, has just bought a house in Aro Valley and Clement, 32, is looking. Both have long-time Wellington-based partners: McKenzie lives with Hannah, who works at Peter Jackson's Weta Workshop, and Clement lives with Miranda, an actress.

But the duo retain more than a touch of the wide-eyed Wellington boys, amazed at the world they've stumbled into and the reaction they're pulling from "some pretty silly songs we wrote in our flat".

To gauge their mana, try Googling them. Beyond their simple home page it's like entering some sort of cyber love-in with a slew of adoring Conchords fan sites and links with lyrics, pics, Conchords karaoke, bios, cartoons, loving messages and forums to swap Conchords thoughts.--

Gawsh more typing! OK so there's a bucketload of stuff in this article, so yeah. I'll look through for some more 'new' stuff.

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri May 05, 2006 7:06 am

I'd not worry about writing it up, as I am being sent copies and shall scan them etc over the coming week for the site 8)

Thanks for sharing :)

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Fri May 05, 2006 7:12 am

Okey dokey :)

Lovely photos in there too, they'll look great on the site :D

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Fri May 05, 2006 7:55 am

Thanks Meli. I did get to meet and interview them while they were in Texas. Class act those two men are.

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Fri May 05, 2006 7:55 am

They most certainly are :D

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri May 05, 2006 9:28 am

Pineapple wrote:To gauge their mana, try Googling them. Beyond their simple home page it's like entering some sort of cyber love-in with a slew of adoring Conchords fan sites and links with lyrics, pics, Conchords karaoke, bios, cartoons, loving messages and forums to swap Conchords thoughts.--

Actually, this has me laughing...

Adoring? :roll2:

I know there are other fan sites out there now, but jeez I really hope WTF! is never seen as 'adoring' I think I'd give up if it were ever
seen as that. :hrmpf: I try to steer as far from all that smooshy stuff as possible. :hrmpf:

Creative licence is a given with journalists it seems :roll:

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Fri May 05, 2006 12:58 pm

Sherry wrote:
Pineapple wrote:To gauge their mana, try Googling them. Beyond their simple home page it's like entering some sort of cyber love-in with a slew of adoring Conchords fan sites and links with lyrics, pics, Conchords karaoke, bios, cartoons, loving messages and forums to swap Conchords thoughts.--

I know there are other fan sites out there now, but jeez I really hope WTF! is never seen as 'adoring' I think I'd give up if it were ever
seen as that. :hrmpf: I try to steer as far from all that smooshy stuff as possible. :hrmpf:

Hey! I think this site is adoring... but respectfully so. No one who didn't adore the guys could have/would have built and maintained this beautiful site, so filled with information and good will! I know you resist the "fangirly" adoration thing like the plague, but there is an aspect to adoration that has to do with respect and love, and I think this site reflects that aspect very well. It is a virtual monument to their talent, their friendship, and their burgeoning careers. AND -- yours was the first!

I think you should take pride in that. You loved them enough to start this site BEFORE most others even knew who they were. Time and tide have proved you wise beyond wise for that. I, for one, will always be grateful this place was here when I discovered them, and wanted to find out more, and instead found a virtual family of lovely people along with the information I sought.

I hope, at some point, you will embrace that idea, because I know I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude. This is a sort of ANTI-MySpace Sort-of Adoration Society. We come here to decompress, get away from the "I wanna have your babies, Jemaine" fandom, and to bask in the low-flame glow of "adoration", Sherry-style. It's like a warm foot-soak after a long day of marathon running... :D But, it's still adoration of a sort.

AND WE LOVE IT! :prayer:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat May 06, 2006 4:14 am

Cool, thanks for typing that up Meli! Gives us a preview of the goodies to come.

Bret's birthday is in July? I thought it was in June... :puzzled:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sat May 06, 2006 4:22 am

The article's great but so are the photos :D

There's one where they're sitting on a couch staring into nothingness with a guitar and a ukelele (Jemaine with the guitar and Bret with the uke) that's just awesome! And one of them running along the beach with seagulls, Jemaine in mid air and Bret waving arms. And one right by the sea, Wellington (I think) fuzzy in the background, Jemaine with crossed arms looking at something to the left and Bret holding an imaginary guitar... You'll see what I mean :D

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat May 06, 2006 4:25 am

Fun! Even just hearing about the photos is great. They sound most amusing. I can just picture them...hee!
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sat May 06, 2006 5:49 am

Kate wrote:
Sherry wrote:

Hey! I think this site is adoring... but respectfully so. No one who didn't adore the guys could have/would have built and maintained this beautiful site, so filled with information and good will! I know you resist the "fangirly" adoration thing like the plague, but there is an aspect to adoration that has to do with respect and love, and I think this site reflects that aspect very well. It is a virtual monument to their talent, their friendship, and their burgeoning careers. AND -- yours was the first!

I think you should take pride in that. You loved them enough to start this site BEFORE most others even knew who they were. Time and tide have proved you wise beyond wise for that. I, for one, will always be grateful this place was here when I discovered them, and wanted to find out more, and instead found a virtual family of lovely people along with the information I sought.

I hope, at some point, you will embrace that idea, because I know I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude. This is a sort of ANTI-MySpace Sort-of Adoration Society. We come here to decompress, get away from the "I wanna have your babies, Jemaine" fandom, and to bask in the low-flame glow of "adoration", Sherry-style. It's like a warm foot-soak after a long day of marathon running... :D But, it's still adoration of a sort.

AND WE LOVE IT! :prayer:

+1

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:23 am

That's so awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out! I can't wait to read the whole article and see the pics!!

I will admit, it puts a bit of a damper on my imaginary life.... :wink:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun May 07, 2006 10:45 pm

jm513 wrote:I will admit, it puts a bit of a damper on my imaginary life.... :wink:

Pssst! It's imaginary, you can have the world however you want! :lol:

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 pm

:lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”